Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your spouse have your key on their phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to set up my wife's phone with my log in on the Tesla app, when she asked me "are you sure you want me to always know where your car is parked?". Not that I'm into any funny business (and we totally trust each other after many years of marriage), but I decided not to. Gave her a key card instead.

If there was a way to set her app up without the location info, I would surely like to do it. Is there?

Find iPhone/Find Friends tracks you much more precisely than just tracking the car. I am fine my wife being able to track me and makes things easier as she can see how far away I am without having to call for an ETA.

My wife does have access to the app, but I did turn off the phone as a key as she has a tendency of leaving her purse in the car with the phone and then the car would not lock.

• Helpful
Reactions: PrGrPa
I was going to set up my wife's phone with my log in on the Tesla app, when she asked me "are you sure you want me to always know where your car is parked?". Not that I'm into any funny business (and we totally trust each other after many years of marriage), but I decided not to. Gave her a key card instead.

If there was a way to set her app up without the location info, I would surely like to do it. Is there?

Is this for her car or yours? If it's hers, then make her own Tesla account then add her as a secondary contact and only give her access to that vehicle (not including yours so no tracking).

To do this, go to Account > Contact > Secondary Contact > Grant Access To Secondary Contact

Last edited:
If you have a good relationship, I don't see the problem. Both my husband and I have access to each others cars through the App to drive and have the traffic/location visible. Quite honestly it's helpful if one of us is out running errands and needs something brought back to know about where the other is in case you want something picked up in that area. Also nice to quickly see where the car is to judge when the other will be home, can kind of tell by the speed if traffic is horrible. Avoids the necessity to make a phone call.

Honestly seeing the other car can also be useful to monitor whether cabin overheat protection is working, car locked or if sentry mode is on, etc. I sometimes get charging notifications that my husband doesn't when he's at work charging. Had this happen the other day when he was at a work ChargePoint unit and he didn't get a notification on his car but I did. I usually would check my app after getting to see that he's unplugged but this time didn't and he said he got a "polite" email reminder from ChargePoint to do so as they weren't seeing any charging going on. Really bad form not to unplug at the office.

Another thought. If for any reason you need access to your car and don't have your phone/key card with you or the phone isn't working etc. you may regret not having someone you trust to open your car for you remotely. I've read a few stories where remote access came in handy. Just some things to think about.

Last edited:
We have one Tesla, my wife has the key for Valet purposes and app installed. When we are on the phone, i often remind her not to miss turn. Plus it helps if we are meeting from different points, where one of us parked. The car is mine, but it is shared and now she drives it most of the time as she has a long commute. There is no reason form technical perspective why not share login or second contact.

Reactions: Tron 3