Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doesn't have a Request FSD beta button, what am I doing wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are conflating FSD and FSD Beta. FSD does not full self drive on interstates. All it will do is self-steer within a lane, change a lane if requested by driver, and adaptive cruise control. That's it. Anyone who paid $15,000 for FSD since November 2022 expecting to get more than that has been out of luck. I'm a pilot, and it seems to me that Tesla 'Autopilot' is also misnamed, as its functionality is still very limited. If this situation continues, and word gets out that new Tesla buyers do not get FSD Beta for their money, people may start looking at other alternatives in EVs. I want Tesla to succeed, but I also want what Tesla promoted in order to get me and others to buy in the last 6 months. Not just a vague promise that it may come 'someday' in the future. Or not.
FSD absolutely uses NoA on the interstates. You are incorrect.

Again, for the fourth time...reading is fundamental:

screenshot-2023-05-18-at-8-14-32-am-png.938819

It doesn't matter what Tesla said. You wrote "capability" - in large, bolded letters - and followed it with a statement that it implicitly means "in the future". It doesn't. That's all I was pointing out.

As a result, there's no caveat emptor ethic applicable to the feature as a result of the word "capability" being part of its name. The caveat emptor here is that Tesla says that "Autosteer on city streets" is "Coming Soon". Anyone paying Tesla money for the FSD capability and expecting to get the city streets stuff as well should also expect to be disappointed. Caveat emptor.
As I have stated and will continue to state, I think Tesla's naming is poor and all 3 Tesla FSDs should have been named something else. But no one listened to me when I spoke up. 🤣

The main problem I have is I'm not the best reader (dyslexic 🙃) and probably average (80% of people will say they are above average🤔🤪) comprehension. Before I buy a ½ priced box of cereal I read the Nutrition Label, scan the Ingredients and check the Expiration Date. I have little sympathy for people who spend >$50k or even $200 for a month and have no idea what they are getting when it is so easy to look on the website and see what is included. Information is just too easy to obtain. Here is Bing/ChatGTP:

Tesla's Full Self-Driving (FSD) capability is a driver assistance system that does not make Tesla’s electric vehicles safe for use without an attentive driver behind the wheel¹. With Full Self-Driving (FSD) capability, you will get access to a suite of more advanced driver assistance features, designed to provide more active guidance and assisted driving under your active supervision².

Source: Conversation with Bing, 5/19/2023
(1) Tesla debuts 'FSD' subscription for $199 per month - CNBC. Tesla owners can now get 'FSD' premium driver assistance for $199 per month.
(2) Full Self-Driving Capability Subscriptions | Tesla Support. Full Self-Driving Capability Subscriptions | Tesla Support.
(3) Full Self-Driving Computer Installations | Tesla Support. Full Self-Driving Computer Installations | Tesla Support.
(4) Everything Tesla's FSD Subscription Includes - MotorBiscuit.com. Everything Tesla's FSD Subscription Includes.

Reactions: JB47394
Great to hear this spirited discussion!

@melmalinowski I think you are mistaken in that FSD doesn't do auto lane change unless requested- it does do so, just not as effectively as I'd want. And summon/smart summon/auto park still don't work that well. Last I had FSDb earlier in the year- I just used summon a few times I didn't wanna go into a tight parking spot. And autopark was so slow and jittery that it's fairly useless. Id rather just have a birds eye view for park assist. I do wish Tesla well and hope they make remarkable improvements with FSD v11. $15 k or even $200/month is not worth it for me for these limited suboptimal drive assist features! But hey I can understand someone might wanna spend that to get amused and believes that this will be the real deal in the next few years before their current car becomes obsolete. Another reason why it might have made more sense if they sold FSD as say a 10 year license not attached to one car. I'm on my 2nd Tesla and I'd have probably spent for FSD if it didn't die out when I sold my car for a new one, which I anticipate will happen again in the next 3-4 years.

How about it should be called
"FSD?FC"- full self driving ? future capability! IMO That's what's being sold right now for $15k for the life of a single car or $200/month!

Great to hear this spirited discussion!

@melmalinowski I think you are mistaken in that FSD doesn't do auto lane change unless requested- it does do so, just not as effectively as I'd want. And summon/smart summon/auto park still don't work that well. Last I had FSDb earlier in the year- I just used summon a few times I didn't wanna go into a tight parking spot. And autopark was so slow and jittery that it's fairly useless. Id rather just have a birds eye view for park assist. I do wish Tesla well and hope they make remarkable improvements with FSD v11. $15 k or even $200/month is not worth it for me for these limited suboptimal drive assist features! But hey I can understand someone might wanna spend that to get amused and believes that this will be the real deal in the next few years before their current car becomes obsolete. Another reason why it might have made more sense if they sold FSD as say a 10 year license not attached to one car. I'm on my 2nd Tesla and I'd have probably spent for FSD if it didn't die out when I sold my car for a new one, which I anticipate will happen again in the next 3-4 years.

How about it should be called
"FSD?FC"- full self driving ? future capability! IMO That's what's being sold right now for $15k for the life of a single car or $200/month!
A cheap version of birds eye comes with Beta now. It's like the wish version, but it's there.

Thank you, @n.one.one!
Since I can probably still cancel the subscription without being charged, would it make sense for me to cancel the subscription and just wait for the "upcoming release", or will I be in this loop (subscribe first and then wait for next release again)?
I apologize for asking, this is a little confusing.

You can't cancel the subscription without charge. You need to cancel because you've been deliberately been sold a misrepresentation that Tesla has no intention of correcting. If you look over everything very, very, very, very, carefully and ignore everything you have read from Elon and all those Youtube videos of people driving their Teslas with FSDb, you would understand that you have not bought what Elon is referring to, or what the videos demonstrate. You bought vaporware that Tesla knows will not work on your computer for at least the next month and yet was happy to take your money.

Reactions: melmalinowski
A cheap version of birds eye comes with Beta now. It's like the wish version, but it's there.
Good, but hope there will be the real deal someday- I know it's not possible with HW3. Removing USS has been a dumb move. I've been in 2 significant parking lot accidents - one with my model 3 and one with Y- despite USS- maybe just bad luck or im a bad driver lol but would help to have a reliable virtual birdseye view.

You are conflating FSD and FSD Beta. FSD does not full self drive on interstates. All it will do is self-steer within a lane, change a lane if requested by driver, and adaptive cruise control. That's it. Anyone who paid $15,000 for FSD since November 2022 expecting to get more than that have been out of luck. I'm a pilot, and it seems to me that Tesla 'Autopilot' is also misnamed, as its functionality is still very limited. If this situation continues, and word gets out that new Tesla buyers do not get FSD Beta for their money, people may start looking at other alternatives in EVs. I want Tesla to succeed, but I also want what Tesla promoted in order to get me and others to buy in the last 6 months. Not just a vague promise that it may come 'someday' in the future. Or not. Otherwise, 'City Streets coming soon' may translate for them into 'Defer buying Teslas, it's not ready yet'
After further driving with FSD (not FSD Beta), I must make some corrections to the above. FSD does seem to turn on some additional self-steering features on some (not all) freeways. When it does, it displays a blue 'center of lane' line, suggests changing lanes if someone in front of you slows down below the speed limit (but does not do it unless you request changing as suggested), and will indeed exit the freeway. It kicks out if you get to a right angle turn or a stop sign or stop light. This is still well short of the kind of Full Self Driving that a friend who has Beta reports, and does not really qualify as Full Self Driving. I have also noticed a worrisome tendency to slide to the outside of the lane center on broad high speed curves, which is disconcerting, particularly if a truck is coming at you in the opposite lane (if it is not a divided highway), or if there are concrete dividers that you don't want to sideswipe.

After further driving with FSD (not FSD Beta), I must make some corrections to the above. FSD does seem to turn on some additional self-steering features on some (not all) freeways. When it does, it displays a blue 'center of lane' line, suggests changing lanes if someone in front of you slows down below the speed limit (but does not do it unless you request changing as suggested), and will indeed exit the freeway. It kicks out if you get to a right angle turn or a stop sign or stop light. This is still well short of the kind of Full Self Driving that a friend who has Beta reports, and does not really qualify as Full Self Driving. I have also noticed a worrisome tendency to slide to the outside of the lane center on broad high speed curves, which is disconcerting, particularly if a truck is coming at you in the opposite lane (if it is not a divided highway), or if there are concrete dividers that you don't want to sideswipe.
The functions you described are provided with Navigate on Autopilot, which is included with Enhanced Autopilot package.

You are conflating FSD and FSD Beta. FSD does not full self drive on interstates. All it will do is self-steer within a lane, change a lane if requested by driver, and adaptive cruise control. That's it.
This is not correct.

Enhanced Autopilot (which is included in FSD) "full self drives" on interstates. It will auto lane change on highways (with or without user confirmation...your preference) and will navigate highway interchanges.

I am in the same group. Paid $199 and later realized that FSD beta will not work, that too after spending hours on this forum. I am not interested in paying $199/month for Navigate on Autopilot.

I have had 2016 Model X for years (AP1.0) which had no option of FSD. I consider myself a loyal fan of Tesla. But I feel cheated after spending that $199 on my New MY HW4.0

The biggest issue is some people can get FSD beta and some can’t for the same amount of money.

If you can’t provide me with all the features that my Neighbor can get with an older hardware version of FSD computer then simply don’t charge me the same amount.

But I know some people are blind and they think that I should be satisfied with just using the NoA and not complain because Tesla has delivered on their promise of providing me “FSD capability”.

It simply hasn’t.

I am in the same group. Paid $199 and later realized that FSD beta will not work, that too after spending hours on this forum. I am not interested in paying $199/month for Navigate on Autopilot.

I have had 2016 Model X for years (AP1.0) which had no option of FSD. I consider myself a loyal fan of Tesla. But I feel cheated after spending that $199 on my New MY HW4.0

The biggest issue is some people can get FSD beta and some can’t for the same amount of money.

If you can’t provide me with all the features that my Neighbor can get with an older hardware version of FSD computer then simply don’t charge me the same amount.

But I know some people are blind and they think that I should be satisfied with just using the NoA and not complain because Tesla has delivered on their promise of providing me “FSD capability”.

It simply hasn’t.
It’s not even debatable. The only real difference now between “Enhanced Autopilot” and “FSD” is access to the beta. Some may argue that “stop light and stop sign recognition” somehow has value outside of FSD beta, but I suspect most would disagree.

HW4 buyers get screwed on FSD period. Then add in that new HW4 cars also lack USS, which means no auto park, no summon and no functional park distance sensing and arguably new buyers are getting screwed even on EAP.

Eventually Tesla will possibly sort it out, but the amount of good will they get from the fanatics is ridiculous. Personally I wouldn’t buy a new one right now and am glad I picked up my 2022 MY with USS, HW3, and fully functional FSD when I did. No way I’d trade it for a new one.