Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dome light turns on headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found something strange tonight and was wondering if this is a known defect.
We sat in the car to watch some fireworks while listening to the radio, but since we were still in the car the headlights stayed on. I changed them from Auto to Off on the 17" screen and also turned off the dome lights. But when the rear dome light was manually turned on, the headlights turned on even though they were turned off on the 17" screen.
Has anyone else experienced this or has anyone been able to replicate this? Is this working as designed or a defect?

The headlights do some weird stuff. For instance, on Auto they will turn on even in daylight if your wipers come on. Generally, this is a good thing. But if I have them set to "Off", the headlights will often briefly flash when the wiper wipes. Also, I sometimes sit in my (somewhat dark) garage playing around with the nav system and whatnot. I'll turn the lights to "Off", but I will see them flash briefly every now and again against the garage wall. It's as if the automatic system is saying "time to turn the lights on" then "Whoops! Owner says keep them Off!"

Without discounting the weird behavior others have mentioned above, you are sure they were the DRLs or those sidelights in the fog-light/cornering-lights area turning on rather than the headlights? Those sidelights I haven't played with enough to figure out their controls (maybe they work similar to "parking lights" in ICEs?), but the DRLs can be turned off in US-spec'd cars.

The headlights do some weird stuff. For instance, on Auto they will turn on even in daylight if your wipers come on. Generally, this is a good thing. But if I have them set to "Off", the headlights will often briefly flash when the wiper wipes. Also, I sometimes sit in my (somewhat dark) garage playing around with the nav system and whatnot. I'll turn the lights to "Off", but I will see them flash briefly every now and again against the garage wall. It's as if the automatic system is saying "time to turn the lights on" then "Whoops! Owner says keep them Off!"

This is probably because there are some states that have a "wipers on lights on" law.

This is probably because there are some states that have a "wipers on lights on" law.

For sure. Lots of cars will turn the full lighting system on when the wipers come on if they're left in "Auto". What I was pointing out are the little "blips" from the headlights when they are in the "Off" position, both when the wipers come on, or just sitting in a darkened garage. It's weird, but has been reported for at least two years now.