Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dome Lights & Ambient Lights Randomly Shut Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 Performance Model 3, and since around the beginning of the year (around Feb or 2020.x.x firmware), my dome lights and ambient lights have randomly turned off. I mean the toggles on the "lights" panel in the touch screen just turns themselves off after a while (i.e. a few days to a week). Often it does that after a crash (from exiting Netflix, or from a two finger reboot) but not always, and it's not reliably reproducible.

The screen brightness sometimes also get stuck at 100% brightness until I toggle the AUTO button, and the "notifications" toggle on the bluetooth screen for SMS messages also sometimes gets unselected (although not as often as the above).

As of 2020.16.2.1 it's still not fixed, as the lights again turned themselves off again last night.

Has anyone else been dealing with this? I've seen a few posts in the firmware update threads talking about this but not a dedicated post. The people who have this issue too - do you have any Abstract Ocean LED brights installed?

It's just a hassle to turn them back on again, and I can't believe Tesla doesn't know about this bug.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Yes. I noticed this the other day on our SR+. I couldn't figure out why the dome lights weren't turning on in the car when the door was opened and noticed that the option was set to "off" in the settings. Since I didn't even know that's where the option was, I know I didn't turn it off.

Yes! I thought I was crazy, or it was because of software crashes losing my settings (Netflix and Hulu have crashed to OS 3 out of 10 attempts). The Ambient Lights toggle setting, as you indicated, has been OFF for my profile and the Easy Entry profile at least 6-7 times. I just turned it on a couple days ago (again!).

2020 M3 LR. I have the 2020.16.2.1 software, but I have had this issue since taking ownership in March with the old 2019.36 or whatever.

I have also seen this. I took possession of my 2018 M3P in March and it has done this with every FW release. Car had all stock lights installed, however I installed brighter replacement LEDs in the trunk and for the puddle lights in the doors about a weeks ago. However, I am still seeing the dome light setting turn off. Agree, it is quite annoying to have to continually turn this option back on.