Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t order SR or MR if your winter is cold.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3, red brakes.

I drove home (Eagle) last night from Denver. I was experiencing 50% loss all the way from Denver (elevation 5280) to Silverthorne (elevation 9035).

Temps leaving Denver were in the 20's. By the time I got to Silverthorne temp was 6 (F). It was windy, the roads were dry.

Silverthorne to Eagle got better.

Going over Vail Pass, it was 0 to -6. Windy. Pulled into my garage it was -2. I used 84 rated miles, 63.5 actual miles.

Sounds quite good to me, surprised it was not worse with those temps and the elevation changes. In fact, i'd say that was excellent.

Reactions: mrwuffles
Excellent info! I assume that is all for longer trips, or averages over several trips? The consumption would be higher for short local trips, so I am wondering how that gets figured into the data.

David, indeed data is for longer trips - all of them more than 30 miles, most 100-200 miles and starting with a pre-heated cabin. It is nearly linear increase in consumption with dropping temps for the P85D (chose the exponential fit for the higher r2 - vanity ;)), I suspect it should be the same for model 3.

My commute to work is very short - just about 2 miles. In very cold winter, or blizzard, I have seen as high as 1000 Wh/mile in the P85D, and so far up to 600 Wh/mi in the P3D (but we did have really low temps yet). Those would be very high losses, but fortunately the consumption drops substantially once the battery temp is up.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
David, indeed data is for longer trips - all of them more than 30 miles, most 100-200 miles and starting with a pre-heated cabin. It is nearly linear increase in consumption with dropping temps for the P85D (chose the exponential fit for the higher r2 - vanity ;)), I suspect it should be the same for model 3.

My commute to work is very short - just about 2 miles. In very cold winter, or blizzard, I have seen as high as 1000 Wh/mile in the P85D, and so far up to 600 Wh/mi in the P3D (but we did have really low temps yet). Those would be very high losses, but fortunately the consumption drops substantially once the battery temp is up.

Interesting that the data is for a P85D. I have a Model S 70D, but my car is in for service and my loaner is a P85D. Weather here has been pretty chilly here the past few days (by our standards, probably not yours!), and I have been startled by how much energy the P85D uses. Of course, i could put it into Chill mode, but I figured I may never get to use a P85D again, so what the heck! (The car did have low tire pressures when i got it a few days ago, and I have since added air, which should help some.)

Anyone try u sing one of these?
5KW portable Diesel heater

For the price, seems like something I might want to keep in the frunk in case I got stuck somewhere.
I wouldn't pay $5 to $6 per gallon (US) for diesel to heat my interior, I'd just take the wife's ICEr on the truly frigid days.
And I certainly wouldn't trust a brand called "Happybuy" for this type of thing.

Reactions: XPsionic