Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Donglemania: fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doghousePVD

My grandfather’s car
Dec 3, 2018
New England, USA
A friend may be stopping by in his travel trailer, so I wanted to see if my Tesla wall charger could work with a TT-30, the standard 120V 30 A receptacle used in campgrounds.

I have a string of adapters: NACS to J-1772 to 14-50 to 5-15 (or TT-30).

I know a Wall Charger is 240 V, but thought possibly using one leg and a bonded neutral/ground might work. I think there’s a GFI built in which might disconnect, too.

I got the green cascade but no power nor any disconnection. I assume there isn’t any bonding. Oh, well, worth an experiment.

Unless your wall connector is on a 120V circuit, there is no neutral connection. So it would be a 240V only connection.

There are a couple of adapters available from evseadapters, and no doubt others, to go from J1772 plug to a NEMA style receptacle. But again, 240V only.

A friend may be stopping by in his travel trailer, so I wanted to see if my Tesla wall charger could work with a TT-30, the standard 120V 30 A receptacle used in campgrounds.
Maybe, but it has to do something a little unusual that is EV specific.

I have a string of adapters: NACS to J-1772 to 14-50 to 5-15 (or TT-30).
I think I see where the problem is here. You're probably good up to the NACS to J1772 to 14-50. That should still have the Hot1 and Hot2 passed through. I think where it's going wrong is probably in the next one, where it goes 14-50 to 5-15. If that is an adapter from a camping supply store or RV-ing site, it's probably doing it wrong for EV charging.

What those 5-15 to 14-50 adapters usually do is this:
The 5-15 side is supposed to only have Hot1 and a Neutral, for 120V. What they do is wire that Hot1 onto BOTH hot pins of the 14-50 receptacle. Since you are starting from the 240V side, I would expect a spark and a tripped breaker from where they short together on that 5-15 hot pin.

To do this right for EV charging, it needs to take the Hot1 and Hot2 from the 14-50 side and map those onto the Hot1 and Neutral of the 5-15 side. That is something you should never do in normal electrical stuff, which is why the camping world adapters aren't doing it, but it's what is needed to pass through the two pins with the voltage difference into the two pins for 120V type outlets like the TT-30 or 5-15.

It also may not be passing the ground through well enough for the mobile connector to verify it.