Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't order online. And other advice for dealing with this insane process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not my experience when I called about my order. I literally just spoke for 30 minutes and discovered there is no specific SA assigned when you order online. It's a "team" at the virtual order dep't. You are correct that sometimes they reach out and sometimes they don't- which is a really bizarre way to do business.
I ordered online. I did not know who my SA was until I went back to the 'Design Model Y' page and clicked the chat window. I then provided them with my RN number and they provided me with the email address for my SA.

Reactions: mjsb
This is not my experience when I called about my order. I literally just spoke for 30 minutes and discovered there is no specific SA assigned when you order online. It's a "team" at the virtual order dep't. You are correct that sometimes they reach out and sometimes they don't- which is a really bizarre way to do business.
Ordered last October In Florida. Got a Welcome email and text the next day from my SA. I've sent him one email with some information that I failed to add. All other contact has been via text. I had a few questions, which were answered promptly. I've also placed two holds on the order, all via text. Haven’t had the need to call. That said, I'm still waiting for my car, but that’s how it goes. So far, my experience has been excellent with no surprises.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kairide
I ordered on Tuesday and want to be sure I did this right. After the order I completed my profile and selected cash and no trade in. Right now it won’t let me change it, which is fine. Are you saying I’ll have the option to change them once I get a VIN assigned. Right now I am planning to pay cash but might change my mind and finance through my credit union. I need to talk to them and find out if they work with Tesla.
As of late - an SA will send you a text message about 1 month before your EDD asking for a trade-in. Don't do it then, because the quote expires in 30 days and or 1000 miles.

Once VIN is assigned, you probably have a week (or two) before delivery date to work in a trade. Kind of same goes with Financing - my credit union happens to have 90 days to use the loan - timing that with delivery can be a PITA too.

I just got my Vin. Change it from cash to financing at 36 months. Should have it paid off within a year though. Doing construction so I need my cash. Ordered a LRMY 7 seater around July 21. Placed it on hold from Oct to early Jan. Eta kept changing on a weekly basis. Lol. Finally. Delivery is next week.

I ordered in June 2021 and the date has changed so many times that it's now saying June-July 2022. I'm beyond frustrated. I've had 3 separate credit checks, multiple calls to them and only now just learned that every time the the odometer proof expired on my Audi trade, I was bumped back in line. No one told me this until today when I called Santa Monica Tesla. This process has been so ridiculous and difficult and the whole point of ordering online was to save time and trouble.

Don't order online. And don't count on getting a car in any reasonable amount of time.
Sorry to hear this, but now that you reached out to the Tesla showroom, they will assign you a vin pretty quickly as your order shows up as the oldest. Call the 1-8000 number and make sure that your profile is complete. Hope you get it very soon.

No matter if you order with an SA at a store or online without an SA, they will not tell you about the credit checks and timing out of your trade in. They don't care about that. And as far as being bumped back in line, you get bumped back until you update it then you get bumped back to where you were. How about sharing your config? Being in CA it is surprising you haven't gotten an EOQ push unless there truly is something missing on your profile. When you log in to the account portion of the website or your app, does it list anything you need to do before the next step can happen?
I know it seems crazy. I have had everything complete since last July. When the the loans or mileage proof needed to be updated I did it immediately. The guy at Santa Monica Tesla told me today that every time it expired my order got bumped back- as in truly bumped back. Now they told me to take my trade-in off the the account and that might help. Crazy. My configuration is LR, 7 seater, gray/black, black rims.

My purchase experience was very different, but I got in somehow at a time when Model Y deliveries were quick.

But in no way should the customer have to work so hard to purchase a product. Tesla are in some weird circumstance where the seller has no incentive to make the process easy. And this for a product that the vast majority of the population thinks is dumb.

I own a Tesla and Tesla sock and there's no way I'd put up with a bad purchase process, and I don't think anyone else should either. I'd cancel that order, get the money back, and go buy something else. I recommend the same for everyone else until Tesla fixes their customer service.
I'm close to doing so, but I'm stuck. I really want electric and I need something that can sometimes seat 7. Can't afford the X.

Thanks. Wish "they" would inform people of that. Apparently you have to have inside knowledge and magical powers to know how to order one of their cars.
I suggest keeping them up on their toes - send a text (to 5103690818), to get a record of who said what, and follow up on it.

Your EDD should be on par with the latest deliveries, if not the next in queue.

See attached, inquiry then Bam! VIN
YMMV
Screenshot_20220226-233212_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20220226-233530_Messages.jpg

Maybe we are just lucky, I was not 100% with regards to contactless online ordering.
Its been over 12 years since we made a vehicle purchase.

When we placed or order on 1/29 the delivery month online was March for the MYP.
I was somewhat skeptical that would happen and when we completed the order form, April - May EDD was shown.

We filled out the whole shebang, financing through Tesla and trade-in.
In less than 24 hours everything was approved and finalized.

EDD changed several times and final DD was 2/24, sadly we refused delivery due to P0 tires.
But the SA found us another MYP with delivery in 2 weeks in less than 15 minutes with the AS tires.
All of our documentation was updated instantly with the new VIN and final DD.

We hope that the second MYP will be as beautiful a build as the first.
Even after the tire fiasco, it will only be roughly 6 weeks for our delivery.

What throws a wrench in some folks orders?

I have to admit I’ve never seen socks in their online accessories site. Were you ever able to get another one to complete the pair? Asking for a friend.
You apparently didn’t look hard enough:

Maybe we are just lucky, I was not 100% with regards to contactless online ordering.

When we placed or order on 1/29 the delivery month online was March for the MYP.
I was somewhat skeptical that would happen and when we completed the order form, April - May EDD was shown.

EDD changed several times and final DD was 2/24, sadly we refused delivery due to P0 tires.
But the SA found us another MYP with delivery in 2 weeks in less than 15 minutes with the AS tires.

I’m sure you know MYP >> MYLR deliveries. I wish I knew from the start all the specific factors in their algorithm that influence queue placement/DDs. It all often feels like a circus, but I’m the clown…until I get a VIN then it’ll all be water under the bridge.

(LR, Red/white, no other options, OD 11/9/21, EDD June 14-July 12 🙄)

I know it seems crazy. I have had everything complete since last July. When the the loans or mileage proof needed to be updated I did it immediately. The guy at Santa Monica Tesla told me today that every time it expired my order got bumped back- as in truly bumped back. Now they told me to take my trade-in off the the account and that might help. Crazy. My configuration is LR, 7 seater, gray/black, black rims.
If it is trade in related, have you looked at other options? Selling to Vroom or Carvana? I got way more for my car through other sources. There's no tax savings in CA on trade ins so other than driving to Delivery Center and dropping off, not much benefit. If we are talking $1000s then taking an Uber to pick up is an easy decision in my book.

Reactions: Masa F and mjsb
I’m sure you know MYP >> MYLR deliveries. I wish I knew from the start all the specific factors in their algorithm that influence queue placement/DDs. It all often feels like a circus, but I’m the clown…until I get a VIN then it’ll all be water under the bridge.

(LR, Red/white, no other options, OD 11/9/21, EDD June 14-July 12 🙄)
Yes, but it seems that there are also those whose MYP EDs keep getting pushed back.

Wish I knew!

If it is trade in related, have you looked at other options? Selling to Vroom or Carvana? I got way more for my car through other sources. There's no tax savings in CA on trade ins so other than driving to Delivery Center and dropping off, not much benefit. If we are talking $1000s then taking an Uber to pick up is an easy decision in my book.
Tesla offered 6k more than Carvana and CarMax!