Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't order online. And other advice for dealing with this insane process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla offered 6k more than Carvana and CarMax!
That's why it is Estimated Delivery Date. Don't look at it and plan around it like it is a for sure thing. Until you get a VIN and a request to schedule a delivery appointment, there is no use taking any stock in the EDD.
Correct and I have not. I know this after having spent 9 months getting my dates moved around in wild swings.

I think all EV carmakers with online ordering systems are struggling.

My MYLR order took 157ish days to fulfill
My Ford Mach-E Premium AWD ER order is almost 160 days old without a build date. I expected another 100+ days.
I kept my ID.4 AWD order from the fall and they told me in late Jan 2022 it would be 6-8 months... so that's basically 12-14 months.
Rivian... yeah.. that's going to be 16-24 months. First half of 2023 for a early fall 2021 order.

It's a mess.

Reactions: mjsb
Just an FYI - I spoke with a SA last week and they mentioned that if you have a trade-in with Tesla and it lapses, you have a 10-day window to resubmit with a new odometer reading to get back your original EDD, so it seems that as long as you’re timely, if you have a trade-in, shouldn’t be an issue EDD wise.

Reactions: Masa F
Just an FYI - I spoke with a SA last week and they mentioned that if you have a trade-in with Tesla and it lapses, you have a 10-day window to resubmit with a new odometer reading to get back your original EDD, so it seems that as long as you’re timely, if you have a trade-in, shouldn’t be an issue EDD wise.
That’s not true, I have always updated my readings on the same day it expires, and my SA confirmed that it was still pushing my order out.

Reactions: mjsb
everyone gets different info which is why I posted. It's a bad system.

This is what I was told.
everyone gets different info which is why I posted. It's a bad system.
That’s not true, I have always updated my readings on the same day it expires, and my SA confirmed that it was still pushing my order out.
Yes, not saying it’s the gospel of truth, but just pointing what an actual Tesla SA told me. In fact he told me when I wanted to remove the trade-in for my order, it could actually delay things more even though the rest of my profile is complete.

Happened on this thread. Don't know what the problem was with the original poster. FWIW, the SO and I ordered a MY LR on 6/29/2021 and we had it in hand September 24, 2021. Yes, the delivery date bounced around quite a bit; at one point, we panicked and got the cash ready for the thing, since we thought we'd be getting the car in late July, but September it was.
We did have an SA who gave us a bit of an assist when we test drove the car; and, when NJ's electric car rebate system got moved around, called us up and gave us instructions on how to order an additional Tesla; then, when the first one got a VIN, simultaneously assigned the car to the second order and cancelled the first. Paid of bit of money to Tesla to do that but the rebate from NJ covered that and then some.
We've had a M3 LR since fall of 2018. I find the SC's responsive when problems crop up pretty blame good. And the couple of minor blemishes on the new Model Y were fixed pretty blame quickly, too.
As far as raising the cash goes: The SO and I were both raised by survivors of the Great Depression. As such, we're both tightwads. We'd both rather save our nickles and dimes ahead of time, getting interest, dividends, and capital gains as we go, then buy a car, lather, rinse, repeat, rather than taking out a loan and paying somebody else interest. Yes, that meant that the first few generations of the cars we bought over the years were econoboxes, but not the later ones. And, what the heck, if one is driving 15K-20K miles a year, with solar panels on the roof, the savings of Not Having To Use Oil/Gas makes up for it all.

So I just ordered my M3-LR-AWD online on Monday 2/28 and likewise did not know about the supposedly faster delivery by choosing the cash option. I was given an EDD of 5/14 - 6/11 to Knoxville, TN which I'm okay with as I sold my Tahoe and have another vehicle to drive until it delivers. After finding TMC forums just about an hour ago, I'm now getting a wakeup call to the idea that VIN assignments and delivery times are as crazy as an epileptic pinball machine. So was the "Cash" option the only way to play this twisted game or will already being approved for the loan through Tesla be about the same? If cash is king, would I be able to tell my SA that I want to switch to cash or would he/she tell me no?

So I just ordered my M3-LR-AWD online on Monday 2/28 and likewise did not know about the supposedly faster delivery by choosing the cash option. I was given an EDD of 5/14 - 6/11 to Knoxville, TN which I'm okay with as I sold my Tahoe and have another vehicle to drive until it delivers. After finding TMC forums just about an hour ago, I'm now getting a wakeup call to the idea that VIN assignments and delivery times are as crazy as an epileptic pinball machine. So was the "Cash" option the only way to play this twisted game or will already being approved for the loan through Tesla be about the same? If cash is king, would I be able to tell my SA that I want to switch to cash or would he/she tell me no?
If you’ve already finished the financing portion of your account then just let it ride. The only downside here is that your credit app will expire after 30-60 days and you’ll be subject to another hard pull.

If you haven’t finished just reach out to your SA to switch it to cash payment until vin is received

If you’ve already finished the financing portion of your account then just let it ride. The only downside here is that your credit app will expire after 30-60 days and you’ll be subject to another hard pull.

If you haven’t finished just reach out to your SA to switch it to cash payment until vin is received
Cool thanks. Based on your advice, I'll wait the 48 days of the 60 since I'm all signed up and approved and then I will call and tell em I want to switch to Cash for the next waiting period. Question though, will I be able to switch it back to a loan once I know it's coming? I don't mind the 2nd credit pull but like you said, I don't want multiple pulls past 1 or 2.

Cool thanks. Based on your advice, I'll wait the 48 days of the 60 since I'm all signed up and approved and then I will call and tell em I want to switch to Cash for the next waiting period. Question though, will I be able to switch it back to a loan once I know it's coming? I don't mind the 2nd credit pull but like you said, I don't want multiple pulls past 1 or 2.
Yes, you can switch from cash to finance by reaching out to your SA. That’s what I’m currently doing now while awaiting my Vin