Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience ordering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

roquej

Oct 14, 2021
Miami
A big Tesla fan. Currently, leasing a Model Y and have several Tesla Powerwall's at home. So, I was shocked at the process and follow-on customer services when ordering a Model Y.

I placed an order for a new Model Y at the Coral Gables, FL store Back in Nov. When ready to finalize the order, I returned to the store. However, I was informed the order had to be finished online, and they couldn't help. When online, the process looked confusing. Calling the 800 number was not much help as was I was told that I had to go to the store for assistance. Returning to the store, I was told, yet again, that they couldn't help and had to finish the order online.

Well, my fears materialized.

At any time as you finalize the order online, your process lets you see the impact of making a change on the price, allowing you to cancel any changes. However, at the end of the process, you asked if I wanted to remove "self-driving," which was part of my original order. I was curious about the impact that eliminating "self-driving" would have on the price, and expecting the same behavior as before, I proceeded to remove the "self-driving." Unfortunately, I didn't get a new price update with the ability to cancel after seeing any price change. Instead, the feature was removed, and now it will cost an additional $5,000 for the same option that I had on the ordinal order.

Why is this a problem?
  1. I asked for help three (3) separate times and was ignored.
  2. The last question in the ordering process is deceiving and doesn't follow the same logic as the rest of the ordering process.
  3. The way the "self-driving" question was asked, at the end of the process, is different from the rest, is misleading, and paramount to entrapment.
Tried to speak with the Coral Gable, FL store manager and the store didn't even bother to acknowledge the request. I then escalated to the original salesperson, now the Dadeland, FL store manager, and I was told there was nothing that he could do to fix this issue. At least, he engaged in a discussion.

Just atrocious customer service, going against everything that Tesla promotes. Extremely disappointed and considering canceling the order and moving to the Audi.

I love the Tesla buying experience compared to the insane cartel of Toyota dealerships (they all collude to markup a popular model by the same $5K or $10K by their distributor but never reveal this until you've wasted an hour visiting the dealership, test driving, etc.) and the Ford dealership that basically allowed me to put a deposit on car that already had a deposit (I accidentally found the other person on a forum like this). Shady.

I can't wait until all dealerships go bankrupt like video rental stores.

I love the Tesla buying experience compared to the insane cartel of Toyota dealerships (they all collude to markup a popular model by the same $5K or $10K by their distributor but never reveal this until you've wasted an hour visiting the dealership, test driving, etc.) and the Ford dealership that basically allowed me to put a deposit on car that already had a deposit (I accidentally found the other person on a forum like this). Shady.

Agreed, while the customer service at Tesla is lacking severely because of the lack of human contact, I am also a big fan of buying directly from the manufacturer. Similar to you I despise the insane markups from dealerships especially for the “add-ons” they say the add to the car to justify a price markup which you never really use on a car or have the option to take off. Tesla already forced the legacy automakers to take electric seriously as they are now catching up, now I can’t wait till they force the automakers to adopt the direct sale to consumer platform.

Completely agree. Went to a dealership with an advertised price with the VIN matching car in their lot. When I got there they wasted an hour of my time then said BTW we have to add 10,000 mark up to msrp due to chip shortage. The car ended up costing more than my Model Y so I just decided to get another Model Y as I love this selling model without dealerships.

Reactions: voxel
Very frustrating stuff, sorry. I wonder why Tesla doesn’t just pump out cars without a specific buyer in mind. Just put them on the lot and let people buy the car and take it home same-day like buying one of their demos. It’s just interior/exterior color, wheel, and tow option.

They could even wait until they know the exact shipment coming to the store and THEN post online their inventory. Also, swapping wheels and adding tow should really be easy to change before delivery. And while I’m at it, only offering summer tires on the 21” wheels is crazy. I was supposed to take delivery in September but now it’s looking like November/December. I may actually have a mobile tire place meet me in the Tesla parking lot.

Very frustrating stuff, sorry. I wonder why Tesla doesn’t just pump out cars without a specific buyer in mind. Just put them on the lot and let people buy the car and take it home same-day like buying one of their demos. It’s just interior/exterior color, wheel, and tow option.

They could even wait until they know the exact shipment coming to the store and THEN post online their inventory. Also, swapping wheels and adding tow should really be easy to change before delivery. And while I’m at it, only offering summer tires on the 21” wheels is crazy. I was supposed to take delivery in September but now it’s looking like November/December. I may actually have a mobile tire place meet me in the Tesla parking lot.

This is a Discord channel with cancelled orders that are posted the inventory page. The problem I'm seeing.. lots of M3s (35+ dumped yesterday - the ones that hang around are the black/grey base model configs), a few MYP (1 every few days) but almost NO MYLR (few times a week). I think Tesla is just overwhelmed with orders.

I don't think swapping wheels, removing tow is all that easy since some of these cars have already shipped from the factory and located at various lots.

I snagged a M3SR+ from the inventory page myself. I may just snag a MYP if I see one and cancel my MYLR.

Check this for MYP - Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

A big Tesla fan. Currently, leasing a Model Y and have several Tesla Powerwall's at home. So, I was shocked at the process and follow-on customer services when ordering a Model Y.

I placed an order for a new Model Y at the Coral Gables, FL store Back in Nov. When ready to finalize the order, I returned to the store. However, I was informed the order had to be finished online, and they couldn't help. When online, the process looked confusing. Calling the 800 number was not much help as was I was told that I had to go to the store for assistance. Returning to the store, I was told, yet again, that they couldn't help and had to finish the order online.

Well, my fears materialized.

At any time as you finalize the order online, your process lets you see the impact of making a change on the price, allowing you to cancel any changes. However, at the end of the process, you asked if I wanted to remove "self-driving," which was part of my original order. I was curious about the impact that eliminating "self-driving" would have on the price, and expecting the same behavior as before, I proceeded to remove the "self-driving." Unfortunately, I didn't get a new price update with the ability to cancel after seeing any price change. Instead, the feature was removed, and now it will cost an additional $5,000 for the same option that I had on the ordinal order.

Why is this a problem?
  1. I asked for help three (3) separate times and was ignored.
  2. The last question in the ordering process is deceiving and doesn't follow the same logic as the rest of the ordering process.
  3. The way the "self-driving" question was asked, at the end of the process, is different from the rest, is misleading, and paramount to entrapment.
Tried to speak with the Coral Gable, FL store manager and the store didn't even bother to acknowledge the request. I then escalated to the original salesperson, now the Dadeland, FL store manager, and I was told there was nothing that he could do to fix this issue. At least, he engaged in a discussion.

Just atrocious customer service, going against everything that Tesla promotes. Extremely disappointed and considering canceling the order and moving to the Audi.

"Placed an order ... back in Nov" - Nov 2020?

"...finalize the order online" - so you placed an order or you didn't place an order back in November (2020?)?

"$5000 for the same option" - what does this mean?

What it sounds like is that you had a car configured and sat on it for some time. Now months (nearly a year) and several pricing changes later, you're trying to actually lock in the order, and are observing the effect these prices changes had on a car that you had configured but not ordered.

If this is your scenario then not certain what you're expecting from Tesla. If I've misconstrued your timeline and pertinent facts then my apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapsEngineer

I think in a few years Tesla will get better with production and customer service. While talking with a friend last night about QC issues with Teslas, I had to remind myself that they are only 10yrs old in manufacturing vs everyone else who is 70+yrs manufacturing cars. So I think in the next 5-10 yrs they will get better with the areas they are lacking in currently, because based on what I’ve seen I don’t think Tesla will get complacent with just getting a piece of the pie now. Now that they have proved the legacy automakers wrong who thought they would go bankrupt, Elon probably wants to eat their whole damn plate.

The only pricing that matters is when you place your order. If you change any options at a later date you will get the pricing available at that time.

If you configure an order, but do not place your deposit it will not save your pricing for a later date when you finalize your order.

Reactions: Corndart