Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't order online. And other advice for dealing with this insane process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered in June 2021 and the date has changed so many times that it's now saying June-July 2022. I'm beyond frustrated. I've had 3 separate credit checks, multiple calls to them and only now just learned that every time the the odometer proof expired on my Audi trade, I was bumped back in line. No one told me this until today when I called Santa Monica Tesla. This process has been so ridiculous and difficult and the whole point of ordering online was to save time and trouble.

Don't order online. And don't count on getting a car in any reasonable amount of time.

I ordered in June 2021 and the date has changed so many times that it's now saying June-July 2022. I'm beyond frustrated. I've had 3 separate credit checks, multiple calls to them and only now just learned that every time the the odometer proof expired on my Audi trade, I was bumped back in line. No one told me this until today when I called Santa Monica Tesla. This process has been so ridiculous and difficult and the whole point of ordering online was to save time and trouble.

Don't order online. And don't count on getting a car in any reasonable amount of time.

You are saying that you ordered in june of 2021, and never tried to delay your order once, for any reason (not trying to delay for tax credits etc) and had a complete profile and still were waiting since june?

Reactions: preilly44
Instead:
- Do Self Procured Financing or Cash and switch to Tesla Financing until with solid Estimated Delivery Date or once VIN is assigned.
- Don't submit Trade-in until close to EDD or VIN is assigned.

Worked very well for me.
Thanks. Wish "they" would inform people of that. Apparently you have to have inside knowledge and magical powers to know how to order one of their cars.

Instead:
- Do Self Procured Financing or Cash and switch to Tesla Financing until with solid Estimated Delivery Date or once VIN is assigned.
- Don't submit Trade-in until close to EDD or VIN is assigned.

Worked very well for me.

I ordered on Tuesday and want to be sure I did this right. After the order I completed my profile and selected cash and no trade in. Right now it won’t let me change it, which is fine. Are you saying I’ll have the option to change them once I get a VIN assigned. Right now I am planning to pay cash but might change my mind and finance through my credit union. I need to talk to them and find out if they work with Tesla.

I ordered on Tuesday and want to be sure I did this right. After the order I completed my profile and selected cash and no trade in. Right now it won’t let me change it, which is fine. Are you saying I’ll have the option to change them once I get a VIN assigned. Right now I am planning to pay cash but might change my mind and finance through my credit union. I need to talk to them and find out if they work with Tesla.
You’ll need to reach out to you’re SA to open up the finance portion of your account once you receive a VIN.

Reactions: FlyerDude

How else does one order then? Even if you go to Tesla Santa Monica (btw.. you are better off going to Burbank or Thousand Oaks) the order placed will be online but just from their computer’s instead of yours. The only way to get a Tesla is online.

Sorry you are having such a headache with this. It’s not fun I’m sure - but once you get your car it will be one of the best cars you’ve ever had. Then there is the whole ownership experience to look forward to: bad service centers, issues with your car taking 4 weeks to get an appointment on etc! All worth it in the end.

How else does one order then? Even if you go to Tesla Santa Monica (btw.. you are better off going to Burbank or Thousand Oaks) the order placed will be online but just from their computer’s instead of yours. The only way to get a Tesla is online.

Sorry you are having such a headache with this. It’s not fun I’m sure - but once you get your car it will be one of the best cars you’ve ever had. Then there is the whole ownership experience to look forward to: bad service centers, issues with your car taking 4 weeks to get an appointment on etc! All worth it in the end.
Good question. When I ordered online without an SA, I basically have no human looking after my experience. I suggest connecting with an actual sales person and ordering (online) with them.

When you order online you’re automatically assigned an SA.

Some reach out, some don’t. If you call Tesla about your order they’ll give you your SA’s contact info.
This is not my experience when I called about my order. I literally just spoke for 30 minutes and discovered there is no specific SA assigned when you order online. It's a "team" at the virtual order dep't. You are correct that sometimes they reach out and sometimes they don't- which is a really bizarre way to do business.

Reactions: Ralbright
My purchase experience was very different, but I got in somehow at a time when Model Y deliveries were quick.

But in no way should the customer have to work so hard to purchase a product. Tesla are in some weird circumstance where the seller has no incentive to make the process easy. And this for a product that the vast majority of the population thinks is dumb.

I own a Tesla and Tesla sock and there's no way I'd put up with a bad purchase process, and I don't think anyone else should either. I'd cancel that order, get the money back, and go buy something else. I recommend the same for everyone else until Tesla fixes their customer service.

• Informative
Reactions: mjsb and cwerdna
This is not my experience when I called about my order. I literally just spoke for 30 minutes and discovered there is no specific SA assigned when you order online. It's a "team" at the virtual order dep't. You are correct that sometimes they reach out and sometimes they don't- which is a really bizarre way to do business.
No matter if you order with an SA at a store or online without an SA, they will not tell you about the credit checks and timing out of your trade in. They don't care about that. And as far as being bumped back in line, you get bumped back until you update it then you get bumped back to where you were. How about sharing your config? Being in CA it is surprising you haven't gotten an EOQ push unless there truly is something missing on your profile. When you log in to the account portion of the website or your app, does it list anything you need to do before the next step can happen?