Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't park under an Osage Orange tree

Bmac

Nov 17, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Friends of ours enjoyed a lunch at a pub today in Media Pennsylvania and my 2017 model S 75D was parked in the back parking lot. After returning from the restaurant, I noticed my rear windshield had a vertical crack, so I called the restaurant to see if possibly the parking lot had camera coverage, thinking I may have been ICE'd or or simply vandalized. It did and the owner called me back after checking the cameras and said there was nobody near the car but I was parked in front of an Osage Orange tree which was dropping its typical fruit, some of it hardened. The owner seems to think that was possibly the case to my vertical crack, but it surprises me that the rear windshield is susceptible to something like that.

I have an appointment at the service center in 2 weeks and the estimated cost to replace that rear windshield is approximately $1000. That was an expensive parking spot.

PhilDavid

May 22, 2018
Philadelphia
Friends of ours enjoyed a lunch at a pub today in Media Pennsylvania and my 2017 model S 75D was parked in the back parking lot. After returning from the restaurant, I noticed my rear windshield had a vertical crack, so I called the restaurant to see if possibly the parking lot had camera coverage, thinking I may have been ICE'd or or simply vandalized. It did and the owner called me back after checking the cameras and said there was nobody near the car but I was parked in front of an Osage Orange tree which was dropping its typical fruit, some of it hardened. The owner seems to think that was possibly the case to my vertical crack, but it surprises me that the rear windshield is susceptible to something like that.

I have an appointment at the service center in 2 weeks and the estimated cost to replace that rear windshield is approximately $1000. That was an expensive parking spot.

Generally avoid parking under trees. Just not worth the birds and fruit!

kavyboy

Jan 13, 2016
Spring, TX
One charger I was going to use in North Carolina was under a black walnut tree. Those things are like little baseballs filled with ink. I didn't even consider using it.

Reactions: mongo

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Here in the Sierras and Pacific Northwest we have a breed of tree squirrels (Douglas squirrel - Wikipedia) that absolutely love to climb up trees and drop pine cones from great heights. I am pretty sure they like it even more if it hits something on the way down. They even let out a little scream of joy when they are doing it just to let you know.:D

rsg123

Jan 1, 2018
Sacramento
I avoid parking under trees after my car got a fine sap shower from a tree in a relatively new parking lot. I was only parked there for 2 hours. Why they would plant a tree that does that in a parking lot is beyond me.

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
One charger I was going to use in North Carolina was under a black walnut tree. Those things are like little baseballs filled with ink. I didn't even consider using it.

Good description of black walnuts, have them in my yard away from the driveway, rather the car got hit with those than an Osage Orange, those are much bigger.

billkatz

Sep 25, 2018
San Rafael, CA
We had our S about a week when we parked in Carmel, CA and came back after dinner to a cracked rear window. The police theorize it was a large pine cone we found on the ground nearby. It was about $700 to repair.

Bmac

Nov 17, 2017
SE Pennsylvania
Those things are big. I would have thought you would have noticed them all around on the ground. Is there a sticky spot where it hit? They're full of sticky latex.

Unfortunately, I did not and in hindsight even if I did I probably would not have thought that something on the order of 2 inches in diameter could break a windshield.

kavyboy

Jan 13, 2016
Spring, TX
Unfortunately, I did not and in hindsight even if I did I probably would not have thought that something on the order of 2 inches in diameter could break a windshield.
They're about softball sized. Still, they aren't hard like coconuts - more like softballs in harness, too, until they lie around a while.

Reactions: SSedan

Airforcebj

R1143 Blue/Black/21s (Switched from 19s 5 Jul)
Oct 29, 2017
Drexel Hill, PA
-

I just replaced the rear windshield of my 2015 S 70 at the Devon service center there near Media. Like the OP said it cost about $1,000. What I wasn’t counting on was the 4 days it took to complete the repair. Just be prepared to be without your car for a bit.

Airforcebj

R1143 Blue/Black/21s (Switched from 19s 5 Jul)
Oct 29, 2017
Drexel Hill, PA
I guess “approximately” is their key phrase lol. My appointment was for a 2pm Monday drop off, and I figured I would have it the next day. Because i was going to be out of town, I dropped it off the Sat prior. They told me that the drop off was just to get the car in the line, not to start the work and they had a few more glass repairs ahead of me. It was then promised to be done by Thur at 6pm (via a phone call and in the app). Based on me tracking the car and doors in the app, they didn’t start working on it until Wed afternoon and they told me it prob wouldn’t be done by Thur. I was still out of town, so they thanked me for not being able to come Thur and is picked it up Fri morn. Hopefully yours will be faster and no one is in front of you with a glass repair.

T3slaOwner

Member Extraordinaire
Aug 2, 2019
Pennsylvania
thanks, I was wondering about that so I am going to call progressive to see what happens.

Ask them about the battery while you are at it. I read that insurance often covers the battery at 50% just to avoid the issue of how new it was and they always degrade with time. But that's very different when the battery costs $22,000. So make sure they will cover it at full replacement value in an accident.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC