Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't park under an Osage Orange tree

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friends of ours enjoyed a lunch at a pub today in Media Pennsylvania and my 2017 model S 75D was parked in the back parking lot. After returning from the restaurant, I noticed my rear windshield had a vertical crack, so I called the restaurant to see if possibly the parking lot had camera coverage, thinking I may have been ICE'd or or simply vandalized. It did and the owner called me back after checking the cameras and said there was nobody near the car but I was parked in front of an Osage Orange tree which was dropping its typical fruit, some of it hardened. The owner seems to think that was possibly the case to my vertical crack, but it surprises me that the rear windshield is susceptible to something like that.

I have an appointment at the service center in 2 weeks and the estimated cost to replace that rear windshield is approximately $1000. That was an expensive parking spot.

Friends of ours enjoyed a lunch at a pub today in Media Pennsylvania and my 2017 model S 75D was parked in the back parking lot. After returning from the restaurant, I noticed my rear windshield had a vertical crack, so I called the restaurant to see if possibly the parking lot had camera coverage, thinking I may have been ICE'd or or simply vandalized. It did and the owner called me back after checking the cameras and said there was nobody near the car but I was parked in front of an Osage Orange tree which was dropping its typical fruit, some of it hardened. The owner seems to think that was possibly the case to my vertical crack, but it surprises me that the rear windshield is susceptible to something like that.

I have an appointment at the service center in 2 weeks and the estimated cost to replace that rear windshield is approximately $1000. That was an expensive parking spot.

Generally avoid parking under trees. Just not worth the birds and fruit!

Here in the Sierras and Pacific Northwest we have a breed of tree squirrels (Douglas squirrel - Wikipedia) that absolutely love to climb up trees and drop pine cones from great heights. I am pretty sure they like it even more if it hits something on the way down. They even let out a little scream of joy when they are doing it just to let you know.:D

-

I just replaced the rear windshield of my 2015 S 70 at the Devon service center there near Media. Like the OP said it cost about $1,000. What I wasn’t counting on was the 4 days it took to complete the repair. Just be prepared to be without your car for a bit.

I guess “approximately” is their key phrase lol. My appointment was for a 2pm Monday drop off, and I figured I would have it the next day. Because i was going to be out of town, I dropped it off the Sat prior. They told me that the drop off was just to get the car in the line, not to start the work and they had a few more glass repairs ahead of me. It was then promised to be done by Thur at 6pm (via a phone call and in the app). Based on me tracking the car and doors in the app, they didn’t start working on it until Wed afternoon and they told me it prob wouldn’t be done by Thur. I was still out of town, so they thanked me for not being able to come Thur and is picked it up Fri morn. Hopefully yours will be faster and no one is in front of you with a glass repair.

thanks, I was wondering about that so I am going to call progressive to see what happens.

Ask them about the battery while you are at it. I read that insurance often covers the battery at 50% just to avoid the issue of how new it was and they always degrade with time. But that's very different when the battery costs $22,000. So make sure they will cover it at full replacement value in an accident.