Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door lights upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The pictures may not illustrate it fully, but in comparing RPM Tesla’s LED lights they are brighter and the light is whiter and more evenly distributed on the ground than Abstract Ocean. Both are a huge improvement over the OEM lights and a recommended, easy upgrade, but the AO light is more concentrated and has blue tones to it. I’m going to keep the RPM in my back doors and have my eye on the new puddle lights the site says are coming soon.

RPM Tesla

05117D07-01C7-463F-B67D-6849DED58BDF.jpeg

AO

EF4E7736-E244-45FD-BE13-9770A08DC2EC.jpeg

The pictures may not illustrate it fully, but in comparing RPM Tesla’s LED lights they are brighter and the light is whiter and more evenly distributed on the ground than Abstract Ocean. Both are a huge improvement over the OEM lights and a recommended, easy upgrade, but the AO light is more concentrated and has blue tones to it. I’m going to keep the RPM in my back doors and have my eye on the new puddle lights the site says are coming soon.

RPM Tesla

View attachment 286065

AO

View attachment 286067
Thanks for the comparison. Think I’ll go with the RPM’s.

Question: how many total lights would I need to completely upgrade the model 3? RPM sells a 5 pack, and they recommend 2 in the frunk (do they mean the trunk?), 2 in the doors, and 1 in the glovebox, and they make the somewhat odd assumption that everyone would have already purchased two ghost lights. By my count I would need at least 7 lights (since I haven’t bought any ghost lights), but maybe more, depending on how many lights are in the frunk + trunk. :confused:

@fseir - I suggest replacing the 2 in the trunk, 4 for the doors, and 1 in the glove box, for a total of 7. The center console has enough light with the existing bulb, in my opinion, but even if you want to replace it, the working room makes it very challenging. The frunk is not replaceable like the others. It is a dim light but part of the emergency release button, and have not come across a replacement bulb for that. There is no under seat lighting.

The 2 footwell lights can be replaced, but may be too bright if you keep Ambient Lighting enabled through the touch screen. The door pocket lights are not plug and play like the others. RPM Tesla does sell some new colored footwell lights and door pocket lighting covers that were just posted to their website.

I use two emblem puddle lights for the front doors and white upgrade lights in the other locations. I left the others as is.

• Informative
Reactions: fseir
@fseir - I suggest replacing the 2 in the trunk, 4 for the doors, and 1 in the glove box, for a total of 7. The center console has enough light with the existing bulb, in my opinion, but even if you want to replace it, the working room makes it very challenging. The frunk is not replaceable like the others. It is a dim light but part of the emergency release button, and have not come across a replacement bulb for that. There is no under seat lighting.

The 2 footwell lights can be replaced, but may be too bright if you keep Ambient Lighting enabled through the touch screen. The door pocket lights are not plug and play like the others. RPM Tesla does sell some new colored footwell lights and door pocket lighting covers that were just posted to their website.

I use two emblem puddle lights for the front doors and white upgrade lights in the other locations. I left the others as is.
Thank you! Saved me from buying way too many lights, and good to know about the foot well lights being too bright for ambient lighting :cool:

My foot well lights don't stay on with the ambient lighting turned on. They turn off after about 1 1/2 min with the rest of the ambient lights. The ambient light button doesn't seem to do anything on my Model 3.
On topic, I got the AO lights and put 7 in, all but the center console which it produces a good amount of light for the very small area. I find the AO lights to be the right brightness.

• Informative
My foot well lights don't stay on with the ambient lighting turned on. They turn off after about 1 1/2 min with the rest of the ambient lights. The ambient light button doesn't seem to do anything on my Model 3.
On topic, I got the AO lights and put 7 in, all but the center console which it produces a good amount of light for the very small area. I find the AO lights to be the right brightness.
Thanks for the info. I did wonder if maybe the RPM lights might be obnoxiously bright, but I went with them anyway, due to the 20% off sale.

I just replaced my two trunk lights with the RPM lights. There is a big difference. Unfortunately, at least one of the five lights I bought were DOA. I need to email them about it.

Have no doubt that Mark will make that right for you. Very good customer service. Call if you don’t get a quick reply on email.

I just installed these ghost puddle lights from RPM Tesla. They have some new offerings on their site and a 20% promotion for all of their products until 3/31.

6971E90C-4F06-4800-8B78-8DB80207E102.jpeg

Reactions: preilly44
Anyone else having trouble with RPM orders? Maybe they are backlogged from the sale, but the light upgrades I ordered on 3/19 still haven’t shipped, and I emailed them last week, and haven’t heard back. Surprised, because the center console wrap I ordered from them arrived so quickly. o_O

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Anyone else having trouble with RPM orders? Maybe they are backlogged from the sale, but the light upgrades I ordered on 3/19 still haven’t shipped, and I emailed them last week, and haven’t heard back. Surprised, because the center console wrap I ordered from them arrived so quickly. o_O

I placed an order for the light upgrade kit from them on the 25th and haven’t seen any progress with the order yet either. My previous order with them did ship out much quicker.

• Informative

You are not alone. I placed an order a while back and there is no communication for over a week. Sent them an email after a week and never got a response. I believe they ran out of stock on their lights but keep selling them online instead of putting the items as backorder. If I knew that their items are not in stock before I order, I would’ve been OK waiting, but felt a bit deceived when they keep taking order for out of stock items and offer no communications at all for the order status.

Abstract Ocean seems to have much better customer service and a more honest company.

We carry AO projector puddle lights and regular Ultra Bright LED's. I actually sent @tagpats a pair of our own version. Our have a small pigtail and an OE Female connector on them to make it a bit easier to install where the Model 3 wiring harnesses are a bit tight. Light output is very similar to what AO is in terms of color and focal point. Have a LOOK HERE and feel free to ask @tagpats for some feedback.

• Helpful
I talked to RPM about five days ago, as I hadn't heard anything about my order for over 10 days and they had ignored my email. I was told the lights are on backorder, but should ship this coming week. We'll see. So far I'm not impressed with RPM as a vendor.

• Helpful