Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door paint peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

The paint on the door around where the door handle would retract is peeling. The SC said they haven't seen anything like it before, but they will get back to me to tell me if they are authorized to fix it. Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_0141 (2).JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

The car is a 70D and has 1800 miles on it. I took delivery about month ago, and then it went to paint protection guys where it stayed for about 10 days. So I have been driving it for 3 weeks.

Has anyone seen this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Based on the larger gap at the top, it almost looks like the handle isn't aligned properly and is rubbing as it goes in and out...
Could be, but it's not really possible to tell anything about the gaps from that top-down angle.

Passenger-side rear door by any chance? I've now had 3 Model S with wonky passenger rear door handle issues. Two loaners, and now mine is doing this weird clicky/springy thing. Wonder if that one is more likely to be out of tolerance.

Went to the SC in Rockville today and the said the alignment looks perfect. They are baffled as to what happened. They talked about painting the entire door or touch-up, but I think it is an overkill to paint the whole door and try blending it in. So we decided we will go with the touch-up and see how that works. Now waiting for the blue touch up paint to go on the market.

I gotta say the sc guys and gal were very pleasant to deal with, ready to accommodate whatever it was I wanted. It was a pleasure.

Went to the SC in Rockville today and the said the alignment looks perfect. They are baffled as to what happened. They talked about painting the entire door or touch-up, but I think it is an overkill to paint the whole door and try blending it in. So we decided we will go with the touch-up and see how that works. Now waiting for the blue touch up paint to go on the market.

I gotta say the sc guys and gal were very pleasant to deal with, ready to accommodate whatever it was I wanted. It was a pleasure.

I would recommend you get from them, in writing, a commitment to paint the whole door and blend in if the touch up doesn't meet your expectations. It probably will, but you shouldn't have to chase it down then in case they feel the touch up is good enough, but doesn't pass muster to your eye.

HI, I own OCDetail and I've works on over 600 Tesla's. I've seen this problem happen before when there was what I could only describe as glue that is in the line was picked out. I actually did this and learned the hard way. Now when I see that around the handle opening I use a solvent to break it down for safe removal so it doesn't remove paint like pictured. Not sure if thats the case but I've seen it a handful of times.

Hi OP, I have the exact same issue! I bought a new 2016 inventory car (model S) and just picked it up last Friday 5/12/17 at Burbank CA. Both front doors have this paint peeling/chipped off. I didn't notice until the next day. Called SC, they scheduled me next week to check (among other due bill items). Was yours touched up good enough or satisfactory to you?
I prefer not to get the whole doors scrapped and painted ( mine is multi coat red,) as possible.
Thanks for yours and everyone's replies!