Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door smashed by truck as it automatically opens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this case, it's very clear (based on the rear lights) that the fob was pressed 4 times. The first 2 times opened the driver's door and the 2nd 2 times it opened the passenger door. This has nothing to do with auto-presenting and I think the OP will have a very difficult time trying to convince Tesla that his fob wasn't pressed.

While I agree the fob was most likely pressed by accident (perhaps being in the pocket while moving/working, it has happened on TMC too) I guess it needs to be said a car reacting like fob is pressed is still not 100% proof a fob was pressed. The car could have experienced a bug, reacted to spurious radio signals etc.

But I do think it was the rather mistake-prone fob in a pocket that probably did it. The fob is shaped in a way that is asking for trouble...

Reactions: WhiskySTL
Look at the mirrors. The car was locked, and is unlocking and opening doors starting just as the crash happens. Hard to believe that's not the car getting a fob signal...

Also a horrible parking job that's dangerously far out and canted, and a truck that skims far too close.
He’s parked pretty close. Only about 10cm from curb. About what auto park usually does.

I have an Abstract Ocean cover, but unfortunately I still accidentally press the buttons. I've disabled all I can in the settings to make damage less likely, though...
Oh definitely, it’s still a lot better that the bare plastic in your pocket, though. Especially the little ridges for the FWDs, those are a lot better ‘hidden’ by the ‘cover’.

Too bad the fob (pocket) can’t use TouchID or something. :D

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
It doesn't matter what the driver did or didn't do. The driver could have been sleeping in his bed.
Tesla will still say that the 'logs show the driver did it' regardless.

1. it is impossible for the consumer to prove Tesla/software wrong
2. Computers make errors, it happens. naturally all auto makers are allergic to admitting this
3. Some day something like this might happen to you, you will know what you did or didn't do, and you will be called a liar by a big corporation.
I never rush to judgement on these incidents.

It doesn't matter what the driver did or didn't do. The driver could have been sleeping in his bed.
Tesla will still say that the 'logs show the driver did it' regardless.

1. it is impossible for the consumer to prove Tesla/software wrong
2. Computers make errors, it happens. naturally all auto makers are allergic to admitting this
3. Some day something like this might happen to you, you will know what you did or didn't do, and you will be called a liar by a big corporation.
I never rush to judgement on these incidents.
Looks like you have "rushed to judgement" by stating "Tesla will still say that the logs show the driver did it regardless".

All I know is that the three fobs Tesla has given me over the last 18 months have an issue. Sooner or later the fw gets corrupted and the battery has to be removed for it to reboot itself. Seems odd that I am the only one that has experienced this and now with three fobs. My fobs are kept in the little leather cases (Model S ones?) that they gave us early owners (VIN 1506). Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway my only symptom is that the fob is DOA and basically does nothing nor does the car recognize it until the battery is taken out and immediately put back in again. It might work just fine driving somewhere, get out and return and it's DOA. Since it's in my pocket maybe pseudo clicks are happening. I don't think I have ever had it go dead after the fob was placed on a counter.

All I know is that the three fobs Tesla has given me over the last 18 months have an issue. Sooner or later the fw gets corrupted and the battery has to be removed for it to reboot itself. Seems odd that I am the only one that has experienced this and now with three fobs. My fobs are kept in the little leather cases (Model S ones?) that they gave us early owners (VIN 1506). Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway my only symptom is that the fob is DOA and basically does nothing nor does the car recognize it until the battery is taken out and immediately put back in again. It might work just fine driving somewhere, get out and return and it's DOA. Since it's in my pocket maybe pseudo clicks are happening. I don't think I have ever had it go dead after the fob was placed on a counter.
I used the leather fob cover for the first year or two with my Model S and didn't encounter any problems so I don't think it's that.

I am confused by some of the statements supporting anything but what the owner admitted. He admitted to pressing the fob which led to the doors opening. So before you claim a bug or Telsa is to blame, find a real and true incident to make such claims. I would like to see a video from an owner that can make both front doors open when fob is in the pocket. If this is such a risk, lets see it.