Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door smashed by truck as it automatically opens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see your perspective but a certain point we humans have to take responsibility too. If I drove my car into a pole due to ignorance and got injured I wouldn't blame Tesla. They can and certainly should make a good faith attempt to preempt this but that doesn't make them responsible.
This morning when I read it, I thought it said car owner vs truck argued; in that case, this is what I meant:

I unfortunately wasn’t as specific as you would like; I squarely blame the set of {driver, car}, and made no attempt to differentiate. The argument was between the {driver, car} set and the {truck driver, truck} set, so that’s all I was responding to, not Tesla vs. anything. The fact you got defensive about the Tesla portion when I wasn’t specifically attacking it in differentiation from the car driver and I had car and driver in same boat and you thought I was juxtapositioning them belies a sort of guilty conscience about whatever the car (Tesla) did, to make such a huge logical error on your part.​

But, perhaps the OP edited the post after I responded, or I misread Tesla and thought it said truck. OP, did you edit?

The way it reads now, I find the issue far more interesting and not the clear cut thing I originally read.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Musterion
I have feared this happening- accidental fob presses leading to an innopportune falcon wing opening or this. The X fob is larger than the S fob. Never had an accidental press with the S fob but I have with the X- all of which involved locking and closing - not unlocking/opening.

If he remotely opened the doors, it was driver’s fault. If a hacker remotely opened the doors and the security level of the remote system was below military+civilian grade, it was the manufacturer’s fault. If the manufacturer said the doors always sense safety 100% of the time and allow driver to open doors without looking, that would also be manufacturer’s fault. From what I can tell, neither of the latter two issues came up, so it was driver’s fault.

I left out if the security of the system was military+civilian grade, and a hacker opened the doors; that would be the hacker’s fault, not Tesla’s, which is problematic, since that’s the least likely hacker to catch if they’re that damn good. That’s what insurance is for.

Reactions: bhzmark
@Musterion , Thanks for the reply.

I assumed "self-presenting" door was the functionality that when you approached the car with the fob in your pocket and you had the setting enabled, it would open the door for you (with no fob press). I didn't realize that "self-presenting" also included pressing the fob to open the door as well.

That's one feature that really makes me regret not getting PUP, wish I had known at time of purchase. The Tesla sales people were so bad that half of the information they told me was incorrect, so I didn't even bother trying to clarify options.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tigers
@Musterion , Thanks for the reply.

I assumed "self-presenting" door was the functionality that when you approached the car with the fob in your pocket and you had the setting enabled, it would open the door for you (with no fob press). I didn't realize that "self-presenting" also included pressing the fob to open the door as well.

That's one feature that really makes me regret not getting PUP, wish I had known at time of purchase. The Tesla sales people were so bad that half of the information they told me was incorrect, so I didn't even bother trying to clarify options.

Thanks for the clarification.
Double-press opens the Driver's side door first. A subsequent double-press opens the passenger door.

Looked up the owner and found the office he was parked at. Right in front of his vet practice. I highly doubt he was over 25 meters away, as you can see from google street view, where he was parked to the front door is just a few feet away.. The office doesn't look all that big either. Certainly within range of the key fob.

Google Maps

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
OP, did that used to say “owner and truck argue over what happened”? That’s what I thought was weird. If it said “owner and Tesla”, that takes on a whole new meaning. Now that it definitely says that now, I see it as more interesting; that’s not what I said was a clear cut thing.

For what it’s worth, I also read an original version of the blurb that said owner and truck (driver) argue. So I think you are not going crazy. At least on that count. ;)

The Model X keyfob is pretty big, it doesn't take a very tight pocket for it to get accidentally pressed.

I don't recall any accidental press issues with the Model S key, but with Model X I've opened and closed stuff by accident many times over a much shorter period of time.

Tesla really should add more options to disable remote opening and closing. I would at least disable all remote opening of doors (I have now already disabled all I can, which helps, but some remote opening functionality remains), because that is just asking for trouble in so many scenarios...

So basically the Dr. and his ego was hurt because he did press the Fob causing the accident but didn't want to admit it until pressed by Tesla with logs in hand. He caused the problem by not understanding the Fob and door interactions. Now he doesn't feel safe driving the X. Or, is his ego bruised by his ignorance. The price the Dr. will pay to retain his false narrative is priceless.

Reactions: beths11
is the doctor's last name Pang ? -- and he recently moved his vet practice to Australia from Montana ? by any chance? or his last name Son and he recently moved from Orange county?

Dr. and his ego was hurt because he did press the Fob causing the accident but didn't want to admit it until pressed by Tesla with logs in hand

I have feared this happening- accidental fob presses leading to an innopportune falcon wing opening or this. The X fob is larger than the S fob. Never had an accidental press with the S fob but I have with the X- all of which involved locking and closing - not unlocking/opening.
If you turn the switch off in the settings (Close All With Key Fob), it then takes 'triple click' to close. I'd never use 'single click' to close all doors, as you say.

Or you probably discovered this after you closed all the doors on someone. :D

I'm wondering in *this* case if he was standing around, playing with the fob, and clicking it, and clicked four times, and oops...

In this case, it's very clear (based on the rear lights) that the fob was pressed 4 times. The first 2 times opened the driver's door and the 2nd 2 times it opened the passenger door. This has nothing to do with auto-presenting and I think the OP will have a very difficult time trying to convince Tesla that his fob wasn't pressed.

Reactions: bhzmark
OP, did that used to say “owner and truck argue over what happened”? That’s what I thought was weird. If it said “owner and Tesla”, that takes on a whole new meaning. Now that it definitely says that now, I see it as more interesting; that’s not what I said was a clear cut thing.
No. I just linked Electreks article, which has always stated that the argument is between Tesla and owner

Looked up the owner and found the office he was parked at. Right in front of his vet practice. I highly doubt he was over 25 meters away, as you can see from google street view, where he was parked to the front door is just a few feet away.. The office doesn't look all that big either. Certainly within range of the key fob.

Google Maps
We think alike - see link in original post ;)