Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-charged by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously. That would have gone a long way.

Then: look, and see how many of these transactions may have occurred. It shouldn't be hard of a company with Tesla's sophistication to look for customer accounts with large negative balances attached (refunds needed as posted by the screenshot above). Then, you know what?

REACH OUT to those customers, individually. Tell them you're aware of the situation, and working to make it right. Even if you don't know what the plan is. Tell the aggrieved party that it's being worked on. The vacuum of silence is 95% of what causes customer apprehension.

Tesla's defacto customer response when the poop hits the paddles is, literally, radio silence. On my first purchase, I had an inside sales rep in Vegas who was just DELIGHTED to send me email after email telling me where I stood, how to take the next step, yadda, yadda. As soon as the first, MINOR, issue came up....BOOM. 72 hours of radio silence. Not a reply to an email. Not a reply to a phone call. And a "full voice mail", LOL. Finally got a hold of them, no apology, sorry "it got busy". Gimme a break.

Oh and no solution.
You're so right - and the funny thing is -- if Tesla could handle a situation like this proactively - they might actually get positive press from it.

"Mr. Double Dipped said he was very upset about the funds being taken twice from his account, but he said Tesla had reached out to let him know they were working on a resolution, and that he could expect his funds returned within the next 2 days." (Or something like that...)

Isn't this Customer Basics 101 ?

Elon might get a pat on the back instead of having to pat himself.

If only Elon had experience with payment systems. 🙄

Keep in mind Tesla has no PR department anymore, so there won't be anyone officially doing that or issuing press statements.
I wonder when Elon officially dissolved those folks.

I used to think Jack Dorsey was stretched too thin with Square and Twitter - but Elon rewrites the book every day -

I wonder when Elon officially dissolved those folks.

I used to think Jack Dorsey was stretched too thin with Square and Twitter - but Elon rewrites the book every day -
There's no official timeline. Electrek reported on it last October, but by then reporters have been saying their communications have not been returned for months already. From the article, it seems most of the key PR staff were reassigned to new roles in around February last year, while the global manager left in April last year for WhatsApp. Europe and Asia still appears to have a PR department however (I have seen official responses from Tesla China for example sometimes).
Tesla dissolves its PR department — a new first in the industry - Electrek

Last edited:
There's no official timeline. Electrek reported on it last October, but by then reporters have been saying their communications have not been returned for months already. From the article, it seems most of the key PR staff were reassigned to new roles in around February last year, while the global manager left in April last year for WhatsApp. Europe and Asia still appears to have a PR department however (I have seen official responses from Tesla China for example sometimes).
Tesla dissolves its PR department — a new first in the industry - Electrek
I will say - if Tesla customers have a 0% chance of speaking to a human being at the company - it would be rather frustrating if the media were treated any differently.

I will say - if Tesla customers have a 0% chance of speaking to a human being at the company - it would be rather frustrating if the media were treated any differently.
Actually it's not hard to reach a human being via the chat function (I did a few times for some issues I had with the app/service, and was able to get connect to someone in a few minutes). But I have never tried the customer service line (I prefer chat anyways to get a written record of the communication).

The press however really has no one to speak to at Tesla, other than tweeting Elon and hoping to get a response.

Actually it's not hard to reach a human being via the chat function (I did a few times for some issues I had with the app/service, and was able to get connect to someone in a few minutes). But I have never tried the customer service line (I prefer chat anyways to get a written record of the communication).

The press however really has no one to speak to at Tesla, other than tweeting Elon and hoping to get a response.
Oh Lordy in heaven - I have never had a successful chat with anyone from the chat customer service.

Yes - I agree it's been relatively easy to get someone to respond - but getting actual help towards the variety of actions I've needed assistance with... nope.

Glad this was settled, and thanks for taking the time to post a follow-up video. What a dreadful ordeal you, and others, have been put through.

However, I noticed it took SEVEN MINUTES into this video for you to state that, 4-5 days after this issue surfaced, TESLA HAD NEVER RECEIVED ANY OF THIS MONEY!!! They didn't show ANYTHING on their end, so no wonder they couldn't offer any quick solution.

You SHOULD have led the video with, "Hey guys, let me state quickly, and apologize to Tesla, because this was NOT a Tesla scam. They didn't know ANYTHING about the double charge until FIVE days after the double charge. It was a BANKING error that had nothing to do with Tesla. Once they saw proof of the double charge, they quickly resolved the issue."

The use of the term "scam" still is horribly misleading.

Let the flaming begin. I've got Elon's back on this one (actually, Elon's FRONT...that's where the teats are...HAHAHA!!!!)

I wonder if CNBC will have a follow up story, with a complete explanation of the cause of this debacle, and the reason Tesla didn't/couldn't respond immediately to the accusation of a double charge? I doubt it. Maybe you should try to contact CNBC directly, since you are a highly visible customer who loves his Tesla and wants to clean up the perception that this was a "Tesla scam"???

Glad this was settled, and thanks for taking the time to post a follow-up video. What a dreadful ordeal you, and others, have been put through.

However, I noticed it took SEVEN MINUTES into this video for you to state that, 4-5 days after this issue surfaced, TESLA HAD NEVER RECEIVED ANY OF THIS MONEY!!! They didn't show ANYTHING on their end, so no wonder they couldn't offer any quick solution.

You SHOULD have led the video with, "Hey guys, let me state quickly, and apologize to Tesla, because this was NOT a Tesla scam. They didn't know ANYTHING about the double charge until FIVE days after the double charge. It was a BANKING error that had nothing to do with Tesla. Once they saw proof of the double charge, they quickly resolved the issue."

Let the flaming begin. I've got Elon's back on this one (actually, Elon's FRONT...that's where the teats are...HAHAHA!!!!)

I wonder if CNBC will have a follow up story, with a complete explanation of the cause of this debacle, and the reason Tesla didn't/couldn't respond immediately to the accusation of a double charge? I doubt it. Maybe you should try to contact CNBC directly, since you are a highly visible customer who loves his Tesla and wants to clean up the perception that this was a "Tesla scam"???
Cool!

thanks for the feedback!

Just as one would expect. It;'s social media, after all. Content on sites like YouTube are typically more about attracting as many views as possible and getting people to watch as long as possible even if it means being misleading along the way. The more provocative or attention-getting the title, description or content can be, whether entirely factual or not, the better it is for the creator especially if they can hook viewers in for several minutes. Unfortunately, this is also the approach taken more and more often by the mainstream news media.

Last edited:

Talking about Elon and teats is kind of creepy to those of us who don't live amongst farm animals.

And none of what has gone on explains the eternal radio silence from the company when anything goes wrong - on a macro level or on an individual ownership level.

Talking about Elon and teats is kind of creepy to those of us who don't live amongst farm animals.

And none of what has gone on explains the eternal radio silence from the company when anything goes wrong - on a macro level or on an individual ownership level.
Have you considered that the ONLY thing Tesla was aware of was allegations of double charging? It took 5 days for the reality of the double charging to actually show up at Tesla, and the double charging occurred OUTSIDE of Tesla.

If it were MY company, with gazillions of dollars of investor money entrusted to me, for sure I wouldn't respond to allegations of anything until I had sufficient enough proof that the allegations had merit.

FIVE DAYS! That's millions in investment funding if there is any misstep of any kind by corporate involving "allegations." (Ask Audi about "allegations" of "unintended acceleration" back in the mid 1980s).

Hindsight is as close to 20/20 as we can get. In this case, I think that Tesla did nothing wrong by waiting for proof. Any other reaction on their part would have been premature, and possibly more costly.

(Hey, the "teat" reference is indeed creepy, but I was responding...well...uhh...to...allegations that I'm suckling up to Elon!!!! HAHAHA!...and I don't live amongst farm animals, except the everyday Texas proletariat, which by some are considered ALL to be farm animals.)

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
Have you considered that the ONLY thing Tesla was aware of was allegations of double charging? It took 5 days for the reality of the double charging to actually show up at Tesla, and the double charging occurred OUTSIDE of Tesla.

If it were MY company, with gazillions of dollars of investor money entrusted to me, for sure I wouldn't respond to allegations of anything until I had sufficient enough proof that the allegations had merit.

FIVE DAYS! That's millions in investment funding if there is any misstep of any kind by corporate involving "allegations." (Ask Audi about "allegations" of "unintended acceleration" back in the mid 1980s).

Hindsight is as close to 20/20 as we can get. In this case, I think that Tesla did nothing wrong by waiting for proof. Any other reaction on their part would have been premature, and possibly more costly.

(Hey, the "teat" reference is indeed creepy, but I was responding...well...uhh...to...allegations that I'm suckling up to Elon!!!! HAHAHA!...and I don't live amongst farm animals, except the everyday Texas proletariat, which by some are considered ALL to be farm animals.)

I agree with you that any multi-billion dollar company isn't going to spout out solely in regards to some allegations flying around the internet.

But if nothing else - if "legitimate" or "traditional" media such as CNBC have at least picked up on the story, smart companies will at least have an individual or a team in place to answer some basic questions.

In Tesla's case - the company communicates with no one and about nothing. I say this as a frustrated owner - and am certainly speaking for many others in these forums.

So now... totally off topic... I was blown away by the Ft. Worth Zoo. I took my son there a few years ago while visiting family in the Dallas area. One of the most beautiful and interactive zoo environments I've ever been in.

Hey Folks... I called Wells Fargo because I couldn't log onto the website, and FYI:

There's an automated message when you call saying "We are aware that some customers have duplicate payments debited from their accounts. Any potential impacts due to this issue will be addressed. To speak to a representative about this issue, press 1."

I asked the rep helping me if I should hold off on scheduling payments until this issue is resolved, and she said "no it shouldn't be an issue today. not today.." Not sure what to make of that...

2 people contacted me directly to say they got their refund the same day I did.

Were these 2 people part of the total of 4 (including you) that posted in this thread, or part of the mythical "400" buyers that a single source claimed were impacted by this banking issue?

Yes, I'm flogging a dead horse here, trying to prove a point, which several attempted to prove in the past 10 pages of this thread. Don't blame Tesla for a problem that they didn't even know existed.

Were these 2 people part of the total of 4 (including you) that posted in this thread, or part of the mythical "400" buyers that a single source claimed were impacted by this banking issue?

Yes, I'm flogging a dead horse here, trying to prove a point, which several attempted to prove in the past 10 pages of this thread. Don't blame Tesla for a problem that they didn't even know existed.
One for sure was on this thread.. The other messaged me privately on twitter and they are how you say "famous" and didn't want to be acknowledged on the media.