Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double-charged by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly - this is not how it works with Wells Fargo. If banks handles these situations differently, then I would suppose it all comes down to hoping you have the "right" bank.

Just once -- I would love to see Elon provide an apology or factual explanation on his Twitter account.

it's actually in Regulation E, which Wells Fargo is obligated to follow as is every bank in the US. I have accounts at Wells too and know they do, in fact, adhere to Reg E.

This makes it sound like a system wide issue that's showing up. I highly doubt there have just been a couple "stupid people" that can't process the payment correctly. Tesla needs to act on this. Tesla also REALLY needs some good project managers that can iron out this BS. They have so many communication and internal management software issues.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
This makes it sound like a system wide issue that's showing up. I highly doubt there have just been a couple "stupid people" that can't process the payment correctly. Tesla needs to act on this. Tesla also REALLY needs some good project managers that can iron out this BS. They have so many communication and internal management software issues.
amen. I mean I should know some tech stuff right? www.youtube.com/c/everydaychris

The biggest issue I can see is someone spamming the pay now button resulting in multiple charges but even then they should have something on their end to prevent it from happening.

My bank said the two charges happened at the exact same time.

amen. I mean I should know some tech stuff right? www.youtube.com/c/everydaychris

The biggest issue I can see is someone spamming the pay now button resulting in multiple charges but even then they should have something on their end to prevent it from happening.

My bank said the two charges happened at the exact same time.

That's what makes me thing it's a software issue. I could see maybe one person just mashing the "charge" button or something if they're new and the system was running slow, but I wouldn't think there would be a bunch of people with that issue. I'm sure Tesla will make it right (but likely won't go above and beyond sadly), it's really unfortunate you're in this position and having to deal with the hassle to get the money back. Tesla has major issues with customer service and it needs to get fixed. I hope you can see past that and enjoy the car and base an opinion on the product Tesla delivers, the car and the charging network.

For all the quick movement Tesla does with upending the industry on software updates, tweaks to the performance of the car, online sales, etc, they really need to stop rushing on the human part of the system. Training, retention, and good old fashion meetings with some project managers. Everyone hates that part of a company and most people wonder what the hell those people do anyway, but when there are issues like this, it's hard to correct them without having some centralized points like project managers.

How do you log in to tesla account and see two payments? How does that look? Can u attach a screen shot? I logged in and only see “payment made” but not the duplicate charge. In my case i refused delivery of my model Y and ordered a model 3 same day. Next day after delivery refusal i saw not just one but two ACH debits (a duplicate also). So i was charged 80,000 + for a short range model y i never received.
Here's a screenshot of my duplicate payment. It's under completed tasks.

I was able to get my Model 3 on Sunday. I asked them/a manager about the double payment and they said it should be refunded this week. I asked to see the ticket on their computer, so they showed me the customer support ticket and it was there. But who knows when someone will fix it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 4.29.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 4.29.06 PM.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 175
Sadly - this is not how it works with Wells Fargo. If banks handles these situations differently, then I would suppose it all comes down to hoping you have the "right" bank.

Just once -- I would love to see Elon provide an apology or factual explanation on his Twitter account.
Wells Fargo can reverse it too. From their own website:
"ACH credits are not final in the same way as wires, but almost. A payor can attempt to reverse a payment made with an ACH credit only if the payor claims the beneficiary was already paid by a previous ACH credit entry, or the beneficiary was the wrong recipient of the funds, or the original ACH payment was in the wrong amount. Otherwise, the credit is considered final."
Six things you may not know about the ACH Network – Treasury Insights

As you can see, double charges are specially a situation where ACH credits can be reversed by the payor (as it's likely fairly common). There may be a deadline to do it however.

In this situation actually it might be true that the consumer asking their bank to reverse the charge is the fastest way to get the money back. Tesla's refund system is notoriously slow (when I canceled my first order, it took a very long time to get the deposit check back).

In this case, Tesla doing it in their end will likely require them to verify the charges are fully processed (and it won't be reversed) before issuing a credit. Not sure if beneficiaries can reverse a charge themselves.

Last edited:
Lol thanks for all the feedback. Good to know.

the funding guy from Fremont called me and said they are working on it. Once they realized it’s not a pending charge they have to initiate a refund that can take a few days.... what a thrill first Tesla stories
The customer relation rep from fremont called me and said they will try to get money back soon but could not tell me if it would be ACH or check. He also said there would be no goodwill and no free supercharger miles. He said he could not even waive the $100 deposit cancellation i did on the model y. GREAT customer service 🤦. I ended up having my bank reverse both of the charges. My bank forced a return After i gave a signed letter to them explaining details. Bank of A

Attachments

• 513B3945-FB20-40E7-B699-6BC965320A98.png
    513B3945-FB20-40E7-B699-6BC965320A98.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Love
Thanks you were correct. Bank of A FORCED a return on both charges after i gave a signed letter within 1 day. No further investigation. They would rather Tesla come after me if I really do owe them still... Now that is Customer service on b of A part.

telsa is offering no freebies discounts or goodwill to its customers over this. Ill update if they do.

It is something one can do. a consumer can reject the second charge - all they have to do is contact their bank and notify them that the second transaction was unauthorized. the consumer will likely have to sign an attestation stating that and the bank will return that second transaction. consumers have 60 days to dispute the transaction in this manner with their bank (longer if it's fraud), businesses / commercial accounts have 3 days. all covered under Reg E.
You are incorrect (unless things have changed in the last few years). I had gone through this with a bank (which shall remain unnamed) and apparently , such transfer does not work like a credit card charge where you can dispute it. When I asked for the bank to produce an authorization I signed for the charge, they told me they are not required to provide me one, that their obligation ends with providing me who transferred the money. It was a recurring charge, so I asked if I can block future transactions, they told be "sure", but they need to be accurate down to a penny, no way to block a specific recipient. When I asked to just close the account and start a new one, they told me new transfers will likely automatically forward to the new account. So I asked how does one start such a transfer, they told me all the initiator needs is account numbers and perhaps the name. So I told them I would bring them 1,000 account numbers and names before the end of the week, then ask them to transfer $199 from each account to mine, and if anyone complains, just transfer it back - I will just keep the money the people won't notice. This is where they walked be out of the branch and closed all my accounts, which was fine by me as I was ready to quit the bank and it was actually faster than me having to fill out paperwork to close all the accounts. I shopped around for new banks, and one told me they were in fact able to block any incoming transfer from a particular company, but it would be a manual process so it might delay my other transaction, but I was happy they offered it so signed on with them to do banking - never used that option but it was nice to know it was there. Btw, the original bank approached me with an offer to do business with them a couple of years later, and once I agreed someone called me back to tell me apparently I was banned for life to do business with that bank. I said "ok, no problem, I like your offer but I can live without it", to which the banker told me he will dig deeper into this, and couple of days later apparently the ban was lifted and the bank gave me a live of credit for my business. Such is life....

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Oh boy - when you thought those hellions from Fremont couldn't top themselves - there are apparently a spate of ACH transactions over recent weeks where Tesla has been double-charging its new car buyers.

I don't know about you - but I think I'd have a tough time working through a negative $52,000 account balance.

Tesla is apparently not being particularly helpful with this latest nightmare - in many cases telling folks to go to their bank to reverse the transaction. Which if anyone knows anything about the ACH system, is not something one can do.
When you have Elon do hype marketing, this is not a problem. There will be plenty of new customers demanding Tesla take their money, not caring about any current or previous customer experience. Building a more robust organization is unnecessary, as it would cost time and money, therefore hurt profitability - remember what Elon said "every penny counts". Hey, perhaps some percentage of customer won't notice, and it will even help profit! ;)

In this situation actually it might be true that the consumer asking their bank to reverse the charge is the fastest way to get the money back. Tesla's refund system is notoriously slow (when I canceled my first order, it took a very long time to get the deposit check back).

In this case, Tesla doing it in their end will likely require them to verify the charges are fully processed (and it won't be reversed) before issuing a credit. Not sure if beneficiaries can reverse a charge themselves.
If Tesla can take the money fast, they should be able to refund it just as fast, especially if they were not authorized to take it in the first place. Saying their refunds are slow is just making excuses for an amateur finance department. I am betting Tesla would not accept the same in reverse, someone double billing them and telling Tesla their refund process is as slow as Tesla's refund process.

• Disagree
I realize this is an epic disaster on their part and I’d be fuming. But has no one been double charged before? Or experienced financial issues?

ive had my bank accidentally deposit close to 30k into my account and remove in a couple days later. I’ve had them withdraw 3 mortgage payments in a row AND I was double charged by air Canada and it took over a month to get it refunded. Charges take seconds. Refunds take 20 business days it seems.

system glitches seem common place in my life

Reactions: Nocturnal
Hello AM new OwNeR anD nOT saD shOrt

Tulsa diD me a douBle charge to mek profit. Am real Tulsa buyer trust

I realize this is an epic disaster on their part and I’d be fuming. But has no one been double charged before? Or experienced financial issues?

ive had my bank accidentally deposit close to 30k into my account and remove in a couple days later. I’ve had them withdraw 3 mortgage payments in a row AND I was double charged by air Canada and it took over a month to get it refunded. Charges take seconds. Refunds take 20 business days it seems.

system glitches seem common place in my life
Well, a couple folks are genuine and it sucks. Anyone who Tesla overcharged has an easy case for any fees they incurred and that will be sorted. Worst case small claims. If they did not incur penalties then it's just an annoyance. This is common practice. It would be nice for Tesla to offer some minor compensation for the issue.

The rest are sock puppets pushing the latest TSLAQ nonsense.

Talked to a supervisor and it was the same thing. “The money is gone. There is nothing to reverse. We can submit a fraud cause and get the money back but can take 90 days. Best to do it through Tesla first if they acknowledge the issue.”
Sigh... calling Tesla tmrw and Wednesday
That is not how the ACH system works. They are lying or being incompetent. ACH transactions are easily reversed. Source, I work with ACH interfaces in my day job. Can you go into a branch and yell at someone in person? The fix will be just a couple of keystrokes in their system.

NACHA rules are very clear on this issue. Duplicate payments are easily identified and returned.

Last edited:
The customer relation rep from fremont called me and said they will try to get money back soon but could not tell me if it would be ACH or check. He also said there would be no goodwill and no free supercharger miles. He said he could not even waive the $100 deposit cancellation i did on the model y. GREAT customer service 🤦. I ended up having my bank reverse both of the charges. My bank forced a return After i gave a signed letter to them explaining details. Bank of A
Tweet Elon, you’ll get your free SC miles and then some! Demand a new set of wheels and a full carbon fiber/Alcantara interior swap!
Although this sucks, it happens in business everyday. Sadly a 3rd party is more likely to blame.
My mortgage payment got “double dipped“ once last year. Now it wasn’t an extra $51k but it still put me in a bad spot. Crappy situation for sure.

It will all be resolved (eventually). Try not to loose any more sanity!