Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doug at the Model S Reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same with the swappable battery pack. Other than those two things I like it, so far.

I think the battery pack being swappable is likely to play into the Project Better Place model. If Tesla doesn't participate in that, then it is a perceived weakness of the design.

In reality, I don't think people will swap batteries often at all. If you start every day with 160 miles of range, how many times per year will you actually exceed that range in one day? Twice?

I simply don't think that it will make sense for Project Better Place to design so many battery swap locations for a process that will be so rarely utilized.

However, I could see myself getting the 160 mile range version, then renting the long range battery for a trip. 300 miles is a long way to drive in a day, so it might be enough. The longest drive I ever make is from Seattle to Whistler BC for skiing. 300 miles would be fine.

Does anyone besides me think the third row jump seating is basically a useless feature that 99.9% of buyers will never use? How much design time and money was wasted incorporating that design? Same with the swappable battery pack. Other than those two things I like it, so far.

The swappable battery pack might become useful if Project Better Place gets going (edit: James beat me to it). I suppose having a longer range battery for rent for longer trips is kind of useful also and it might help maintenance if it's in the way of the motor (still want shots or diagrams of how the car packages the battery & motor).

The jump seats I see your point, I think they were just included so you have more things to brag about to your neighbor once you get one. I don't think it'll be very comfortable behind there anyways; looks like a child won't be able to see out the windows back there.

I want to see more of the center console display screen and all of its content.

Gizmodo has it, I wasn't sure where to post it:
Tesla: First Look At Tesla's Fantastically Giant Touch LCD Console

It's way too cluttered right now. The different sections should be better differentiated so the eye isn't as distracted by all the buttons. If anyone is a customer they should give some feedback and tell them to change that thing (it's not too hard either given it's just software).

Last edited:
The swappable battery pack might become useful if Project Better Place gets going (edit: James beat me to it). I suppose having a longer range battery for rent for longer trips is kind of useful also and it might help maintenance if it's in the way of the motor (still want shots or diagrams of how the car packages the battery & motor).
I think it's probably a marketing ploy more than anything, just so they can say "you can just plug in a new pack" when in reality it will probably never happen. I don't think swapping will be a realistic part of Better Place either. Wasted engineering in my opinion.
The jump seats I see your point, I think they were just included so you have more things to brag about to your neighbor once you get one. I don't think it'll be very comfortable behind there anyways; looks like a child won't be able to see out the windows back there.
Yup, more wasted engineering. At least there are a number of things they can eliminate to lower costs on the next sedan.

here's what under the front hood looks like, for those who were wondering...

:smile:

Attachments

• 2009-03-26_1625.png
    2009-03-26_1625.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 437
2009-03-26_1625-png.179

Cool... they wouldn't let us lift the hood of the drivable prototype since there was "unfinished business" under there.

I have a lot of media to go through. I'll try to get stuff up as I can, but I suppose the media is saturated at this point.

Last edited: