Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade Email but Keep SR+, Price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others here, I received the "Your Model 3 Standard Range" email last week. The email contained no information about what features we would be losing or how much it would cost to keep the SR+ features. Thanks to "Real SR+ Owners" requesting downgrades, we now know that the following features will be forfeited via software, when being converted from an SR+ to an SR.

- 20 miles of max range (220 miles)
- 0.3 seconds slower to 60mph (5.6 seconds)
- Top speed (130 mph)
- Immersive Audio
- Fog Lights

Since Tesla hasn't told us yet, I'm hoping to find out what it will cost to keep the SR+ features, instead of being downgraded to the SR. We know that Tesla is now offering $1,500 for those that purchased an SR+ but would really rather have the SR, but I would like to find out if anyone has learned what it will cost for those of us that purchased an SR (but temporarily received an SR+) to keep our SR+ features? Another question is whether or not we will be forced to have AP in order to keep the SR+ features, which would be an instant deal killer for me.

Please keep this thread about what we know and have heard directly from Tesla, and not about whether Tesla is doing the "right thing".

Reactions: Mr X
Did tesla downgraded anyone yet?
Any news about how much it would cost to stay on SR+?

I"m amazed, but I probably shouldn't be, that they sent out that email with such little real information. After trying to contact Tesla multiple ways, I was finally able to hear from a couple of different sources that Tesla still hasn't determined a pride, but they are now thinking that they will come up with an answer after the 2nd quarter wraps up. We will get to keep the SR+ features until Tesla finally comes up with more concrete information. At least that's what they've (my Tesla OA) said within the past week....

That sounds too much. I suspect that includes Autopilot. I think some are interested in just getting the SR+ specific features. In the other hand, maybe Tesla does not want to sell that specific config and will restrict upgrades to include Autopilot.

You certainly can’t unbundle AP from a SR+ (or any higher) trim now... so I suspect Tesla does plan on selling the upgrade package as a “full SR+ conversion”. That price is still killer though since now there is only a $3,590 price difference between the two models if sold new. So it sounds like it’s the same game they used to play with selling features at point of sale vs after delivery... though somehow this upgrade option seems far less compelling... (really only gettin 20 miles range, a hint faster 0-60, and AP. Unless they’ve disabled front heated seats finally). I thought you could add AP to the SR+ for $3k, so $1500 more for 20 miles and the acceleration is a little rough...