Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trading down from LR to RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe I should exercise more I'm not elderly. Not thought about easy access bringing the seat up, only ever used it for back to give more space. But then it'd feel like one of those electric armchairs that lifts you up and I'm back to elderly comparisons :eek:

it is a nice driving position. But does feel odd when there are minis in front of me that seem much taller. Everything is taller and its harder to see through cars to try and monitor traffic further ahead which I don’t like either. Maybe its time to try one out and if its a mistake I can revert in a few years

easy access bringing the seat up

Bit of a palaver for passenger seat though as no configured positions available ...

maybe I should exercise more I'm not elderly

if you need to ask then ... :)

When my Mum moved to retirement home, in her 90s, I noted that the other elderly relatives had sneakers on, and went for a brisk walk around the building multiple times during the day. At that age loss of mobility means more likely to fall, break a hip, and then downward spiral.

If you do actually need exercise? I recommend looking at high-intensity interval training., as my guess is that you aren't already an avid runner and you probably hate that sort of thing, in which case HIIT will be much more tolerable - around 20 minutes (including warm up/down) 3x a week, no need to go to a gym - done at home using e.g. stairs but I use an exercise bike.

Had an hour to play so I basically drove back home and along some roads where I’m familiar with the M3. Honestly the handling seems fine - its not that much taller but it is a lot more comfortable to get into so thats a tick for me. Boot is odd - its massive but the parcel shelf is horrible. Much prefer something retractable, you have to punch this from underneath to get it to fold and then it sort of flaps there. You can barely see in so maybe I’ll remove it. On my 3 I can keep my ‘usuals’ under the floor and that’d be easy in the Y even putting shopping in there probably

the lack of USS I can probably manage with but it was bonging at me all the time. I tried a reverse park and it was freaking out at a very low kerb - no lampposts or anything nearby. It was so obsessed with the kerb it seemed to ignore the car behind me getting closer as I reversed.

Main thing honestly is the motor (and range but you can’t test that on a short trip). Its still ’perky’, but not ‘pokey’ like the 3LR. I tried putting my 3 into chill mode as a test and the YRWD is better than that (chill is oddly sluggish as well as less power) but closer to chill than to the instant push back in your seat you can do with the LR on demand.

Having said that, these days with traffic (and certainly with passengers) there is precious little opportunity to do that, so I think its something I can live with. Its still probably more responsive to teh throttle than my previous 420i was and I lived with that happily for a few years.

Reactions: HMHM
I drive a 2019 SR and had a M3P as a loaner for a week.

Sure it is *way* quicker (it wasn't restricted by Tesla in modes just top speed) and it was fun while it lasted but after I got over trying the acceleration out a few times it didn't really make any difference to my daily drive. Also for me range isn't an issue - I only drive over 150 miles in one go once or twice a year and then on routes where there are superchargers (and at service stations I ended up stopping at for a coffee anyway even in my petrol car).

Maybe I'm an old f4rt but the SR serves my needs well.

I found I had more legroom in the 3 than the Y. The Y also put my feet at more of an angle in the footwell which made it less comfortable for me.

I found I could adjust the easy entry of the seat and basically slide right into the 3. I figured I only get in and out of the car infrequently compared to the time I spent behind the wheel so I definitely want to prioritize driving enjoyment over ingress or egress but they were never an issue for the 3, Y or S for that matter for me. I am not thin and far closer to retirement than starting my career and just had 2 surgeries that impact mobility yet I can still easily enter the 3. Maybe if I was 70+ and very arthritic, I'd choose the Y for easier egress.

I also found the 3 quieter because of the enclosed boot area. The Y made a lot more booming sound compared to my 3. I think the ride quality was better on my 3 as well than the Y.

I don't know about the UK, but insurance was cheaper on my 3 than my Y as well. Overall running costs were less. The 3 was easier on tires and sipped electrons by comparison. I've found I spend more on tires than energy for any of my Teslas. That is the hidden cost of owning one I guess unless you buy one of the woefully underpowered ones and keep it in chill mode. Then I'd consider other options to begin with. I'd probably take one of the Hyundais over a Y currently.

Y has become the most popular vehicle in the World due to it's capabilities. Seems like the whole World is moving away from sedans and into SUVs.

Because the Y is larger it will be heavier and offer more interior space. To get that you lose the nimble handling and feeling of the lower riding and lighter sedan.

SUV provides a more commanding view of the road, much easier entrance and exit, better seating in the rear (Legs not in your chest). Handy hatchback makes carrying bulky stuff easier and even offers the option of seven seating.

Single drivers, out for a enthusiastic drive may prefer the sedan, but for most other uses the SUV gets the nod

Reactions: Mrklaw
Had an hour to play so I basically drove back home and along some roads where I’m familiar with the M3. Honestly the handling seems fine - its not that much taller but it is a lot more comfortable to get into so thats a tick for me. Boot is odd - its massive but the parcel shelf is horrible. Much prefer something retractable, you have to punch this from underneath to get it to fold and then it sort of flaps there. You can barely see in so maybe I’ll remove it. On my 3 I can keep my ‘usuals’ under the floor and that’d be easy in the Y even putting shopping in there probably

the lack of USS I can probably manage with but it was bonging at me all the time. I tried a reverse park and it was freaking out at a very low kerb - no lampposts or anything nearby. It was so obsessed with the kerb it seemed to ignore the car behind me getting closer as I reversed.

Main thing honestly is the motor (and range but you can’t test that on a short trip). Its still ’perky’, but not ‘pokey’ like the 3LR. I tried putting my 3 into chill mode as a test and the YRWD is better than that (chill is oddly sluggish as well as less power) but closer to chill than to the instant push back in your seat you can do with the LR on demand.

Having said that, these days with traffic (and certainly with passengers) there is precious little opportunity to do that, so I think its something I can live with. Its still probably more responsive to teh throttle than my previous 420i was and I lived with that happily for a few years.

Your test drive analysis sounds mostly reasonable to me. In my opinion, 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds is not bad for daily driving. You are on the right track. I would cut out the distractions and stay focused. All the very best!

Go for it, if the AWD is not highly valuable to you and you are currently enjoying your M3LR in "Chill" mode. With zero out of pocket trade costs, savings over the long haul, new MYRWD with LFP battery (with probably a better real-world usable range) sounds like a great deal in my opinion. In four years, you will hopefully be driving a new and more efficient EV with a lot longer range!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrklaw