Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgrade SR+ and get $2000 back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any word from the SR folks on how much Tesla is asking for an upgrade? I saw in the email circulated recently that they said SR buyers could stop by a service center to upgrade to SR+ for a price, but I don't think anyone actually reported their price yet.

I've personally talked with both service and sales this weekend. neither know yet what it will cost. I even scheduled an appt to upgrade, as Tesla's email to me asked me to. They cancelled it and said there is no such process yet.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Same! I just called them back and told them I want to think it over.

They said I would keep the heated seats, keep the routing option during navigation, but I would be software locked out of the fog lights.

Not sure what to do, but they said they need an answer but Wednesday.

Yup. I was told the same. So those guys that are complaining how horrible for Tesla to lie about the downgrade option can now shut up. Yeah, that is how it is in a fast moving startup company although they have been around for a while now but not just at this scale. I wish the company is better and I hope they Tesla matures soon because competition is coming.

I sent an email a couple of weeks ago to know the process on downgrading my SR+ to SR and finally I get the call, I was so excited just to get a call from them. They told me I can downgrade for a refund of $1,500 but I'll be losing the following fog lights, immersed sound, 20 miles of range and top speed. I decided not to downgrade I love the sound system and my fog lights.

I bought SR+ with fsd. So if I downgrade, I I only lose front heated seats and get $2000 back?
I sent an email a couple of weeks ago to know the process on downgrading my SR+ to SR and finally I get the call, I was so excited just to get a call from them. They told me I can downgrade for a refund of $1,500 but I'll be losing the following fog lights, immersed sound, 20 miles of range and top speed. I decided not to downgrade I love the sound system and my fog lights.

Is there any going back clause if you try it out after they turn those features off? Example, what if you made a mistake and wanted to turn them back on and repay. Is it $1500? I assume much more.

Tesla needs to give us an exact list of what the changes are, including any technical details.

How will the battery be locked? (top, bottom, both?)
What software features will be removed? Or what software features will be added to an SR+?
Can we upgrade anything in the future? (for example, can we pay for heated seats to be activated, or web browser etc.)
Is the warranty affected?
What are the exact performance specifications?
Are we getting our taxes back? Can we request exact numbers before starting a transaction?

They can have legal disclaimers all over the place, but can't give us any exact specifications for a downgraded car?

I've found dealing with Tesla to be the worst possible customer experience I can remember.

I am not going to downgrade. 20 miles of range is worth about $2000. I am making this calculation based on the difference in cost between SR+ and LR. $100 per mile.

Tesla is giving us only $1500 and then taking away flights and immersive sound. If it is like $2500 then it will tilt it towards the downgrade path. But it is not. So I will keep my 240 mile range configuration.

Downgrade for me. Main reason I went with SR+ was for the partial premium upgrade. And my use case to get an EV was to ride the MD HOV solo for my 60 mi roundtrip commute. Since the partial premium is now in SR, I'll take the refund. Maybe I'll spring for homelink, which is a head-scratching omission in a "premium" vehicle.

My SR+ option was $2500. I don't understand why downgrade is worth only $1500.
Where did $1000 go?
If SR people can upgrade to SR+ for $1500, that would make their SR+ $36500, which is cheaper than any SR+.

No mention of acceleration change.... This is what we are complaining about. different versions from different agents.

Reactions: Keromaru
Here's a screenshot of the email following the call I received from the Tesla rep about downgrading (range, acceleration, top speed, immersive sound). I was told to confirm by next day otherwise I would have to go thru the process of requesting a downgrade again via another agent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190612-052955.png
    Screenshot_20190612-052955.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 130
My SR+ option was $2500. I don't understand why downgrade is worth only $1500.
Where did $1000 go?
If SR people can upgrade to SR+ for $1500, that would make their SR+ $36500, which is cheaper than any SR+

The math comes from the fact that the difference today between the SR+ and the SR with AP i 1500.
Standing like this I asked then to have the version Tesla is comparing: SR+AP at 38K. Was told not possible because at the time of the purchasing AP after the fact was valued 4000. So a little bit of playing with dates and price.

My difference from SR to SR+ was about 3k CAD after tax. So if I downgrade I expect nothing less than the same amount. Otherwise, it should be called a partial refund instead of what Tesla claims it is. Anyway I still haven't got a call and it seems like Canadians are still royally screwed with the 150km version out there.

My difference from SR to SR+ was about 3k CAD after tax. So if I downgrade I expect nothing less than the same amount. Otherwise, it should be called a partial refund instead of what Tesla claims it is. Anyway I still haven't got a call and it seems like Canadians are still royally screwed with the 150km version out there.

Tesla's not offering the 220 mi version in Canada, are they? I guess they realized how many people in the US were ordering them, wanted to qualify for the Canadian federal rebate, and didn't want to lose SR+ sales to downgrades...