Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dr Taras' Model S gets customized!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Legal in CA? I think so, or maybe I didn't check because ignorance is bliss, kind of like the LASER diffusers. :wink: Things that make you go hmmmm. I know that there is another thread on TMC somewhere that discusses the ramifications in different states about 2-person consent to being videotaped even in public places. That being said, there is a small flashing 'recording' light that faces forward and is visible from the outside. I placed a black piece of electrical tape over it. Disclosure of me videotaping should be on MY terms.

The laws in California (and a number of other states) are about audio recording. You can generally record video in public places without consent. But if you have the audio recording feature turned on, and the passengers in your car have not been informed, you are breaking California's wiretapping laws.

I'm still curious to hear about your experiences if you test out rotating it. Nudge nudge. ;)
I can't believe you got me to do this & waste precious bandwidth on YouTube when someone else might now not be able to post a video of their cat flushing a toilet or something of the like! :mad:
It seems that when I rotate it, it would auto-disable the audio recording (which caught me by surprise).
I'm sure its a setting which I have not researched. At least you're spared my commentary!

- - - Updated - - -

You know, you don't need to put a piece of tape on the light. In the configuration settings for that camera, in the ipad/iPhone app, you can turn off all of the indicator lights.
I think I saw that when I glanced at the manual, but I wanted to keep all the other rear facing lights on & just turn off the front blinking light & did not see a customized setting for that; but, thanx. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

The laws in California (and a number of other states) are about audio recording. You can generally record video in public places without consent. But if you have the audio recording feature turned on, and the passengers in your car have not been informed, you are breaking California's wiretapping laws.
Another consent I'll have to have all my passengers sign before they get in! Ugh! :cursing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops... okay. Then kudos to you because I thought you that you did a perfect job at aligning it flush with the bend of that wheel well. This 'art' is definitely a 31-flavors analogy :redface:

Actually, I kicked myself for getting it so close to the wheel well curve like that. I carefully made it level but wasn't as careful about exact horizontal location. I'd probably prefer it be an inch to the left or so. Oh well. But honestly, it looks fine to me, and I'm the only one that really matters with my car. :)

You can keep the lights that face you active and just kill the one that faces out. Also, you killed the audio by swiping the left sure of the camera. It's a touch sensitive switch by the wifi indicator. Hit it again to turn it back on.

I'm the only one that really matters with my car. :)
Say it again, sista! I'll drink to that! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

You can keep the lights that face you active and just kill the one that faces out. Also, you killed the audio by swiping the left sure of the camera. It's a touch sensitive switch by the wifi indicator. Hit it again to turn it back on.
You're killing me, man, with all this reading the manual & knowledge stuff!
So I decided to write and sing you a song! :tongue:

I put my side stickers on a bit higher up and farther back than you did, and they seem to read pretty level compared to my rear sticker.

It still irks me that we can't just get EV plates.

Agree, the fact that its a Tesla should be enough by itself--Tesla only makes EVs so there should be no confusion whatsoever.

I found the side stickers too big and ugly to use so I only put the smaller one on the car, positioned on the plastic part of the bumper near the reflector. It looks kind of OK there:

image.jpg

We'll see if I will be stopped, so far I've been driving the commute lane without a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dr. :)

I haven't installed it properly yet, but I ordered Amazon'd the cam and did a quick temporary install (velcro to the windshield, lighter plug in, dangling cord). I went for a drive. After I copy down the card, I'll try posting some of the footage if it comes out ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing this.

With over 70,000 page views on this thread, its no wonder that The Hun! is getting a growing cadre of people who recognize him.
This past weekend we drove to San Diego. On Friday afternoon we stopped both at the Tesla-LA service center,
as well as the Tesla-Hawthorne Design Center & their 'juice-bar'. More on those 2 stops in a later post.

On the way back up on Saturday, we stopped again at the Hawthorne Supercharger & its a nice watering hole
to be able to trade stories with fellow Teslaficionados! One was "scriptacus" who The Hun! was honored to take a picture with!
2013-05-04 16.05.03.png

"A Tesla The Hun!" took a stroll - Who do you recognize?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this past weekend, "A Tesla The Hun!" took a stroll down to San Diego.
On the way down (Friday) we stopped at the Hawthorne Supercharger which is also the location of the Tesla Design Studios.
We were there for about a half hour and during that time had a number of Tesla employees come outside to check out The Hun!

As we left, my wife lamented that she hadn't snapped a few shots of all the activity and that's when it hit me!
Quick, Robin, to the Dash-Cam! I spliced it down (very crude editing, I might add) to 5 minutes & removed any conversations.
Who do you recognize, if anyone? :confused:

Wait a sec... was that Franz checking out The Hun?
Indeed :cool:
Tho you know, I met a lot of the guys and they were all genuinely interesting as well as interested in the design changes. They all seemed good guys, passionate in what they do, rather than that "9-5" of attitude or mentality. At least I now know from the clock that they stayed after 5 to make their observations! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

@ Soflason: I recognize the guy in the white pants from various interviews.
Tru dat!

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest compliment is when Franz copies your car. :wink:
Not THAT again!