Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Franz already said they will get into the 8's. So while the current Plaid S may not get a boost, future iterations of the car certainly will be quicker. I would imagine this will happen when they switch to the 4680 cells, what was suppose to be the Plaid+ but they will just call it Plaid. Once they switch to 4680's they will have no reason to keep producing the older cells.

Oh of course future versions will be quicker. I just mean this car.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
As someone with 19" Plaid being delivered in two weeks, has anyone measured whether the various metrics (0-60, 60-130, 1/8, 1/4, etc.) are meaningfully different than the 21" Arachnids? I'm wondering if the Pirellis + the narrow widths will have an impact.
Highly doubt it first of all tire is narrower which means less grip during the important launch.

As someone with 19" Plaid being delivered in two weeks, has anyone measured whether the various metrics (0-60, 60-130, 1/8, 1/4, etc.) are meaningfully different than the 21" Arachnids? I'm wondering if the Pirellis + the narrow widths will have an impact.
@jebinc got his Plaid with 19s, but not sure he has measured acceleration.

I have a Dragy and can test with him at some point!

also dont forget they can also add another Motor in the front for a Total of 1600HP easy. Future is looking very bright!

The body's going to need some crazy new aero for downforce with that extra motor I imagine to achieve even lower 0-60/0-100 times (which would honestly be sooo sick). The Plaid is likely approaching the upper limits of acceleration constrained by the static friction between the tires and ground at its current weight.

Last edited:
The body's going to need some crazy new aero for downforce with that extra motor I imagine to achieve even lower 0-60/0-100 times (which would honestly be sooo sick). The Plaid is likely approaching the upper limits of acceleration constrained by the static friction between the tires and ground at its current weight.

I can say that on regular streets this car on the 21” PS4S is within a hair of grip limitation off the line. There’s a reason the Rimac Nevera with near double the hp is only about a tenth quicker to 60.

Unfortunately, aero only works at speed and won't help 0-60. Above those speeds traction isn't the limit so aero really just slows you down.

Better grip or less weight are the two options I see for any improvement, but at this level improvement is expensive and challenging. Plus, once it gets into the 8's, people want low 8's or maybe a 7??? It never ends!!!!

I was kinda surprised at the above video in that even with lighter wheels and stickier tires, he actually went slower (60ft and ET) than I have seen other plaids run with the stock 21s and street tires. Thoughts?
Nittos are heavy and negated some of his weight savings from the rim swap. Also, only the rears were changed.

Additional a 60-130 test would be much more telling of any true discrepancy between the change in rims as it isolates weight as the deciding factor in speed.

That is all.

In case you didn’t already know this car is quick!
The new tires/wheel doesn’t seem to make a huge difference…

Nittos are heavy and negated some of his weight savings from the rim swap. Also, only the rears were changed.

Additional a 60-130 test would be much more telling of any true discrepancy between the change in rims as it isolates weight as the deciding factor in speed.

That is all.

I found it funny when he claim that he got " lightweight wheel" but in fact there's not much saving he did there lol. It was reported 25.2lb for the actual weight of the wheel in size 20x9.5 + NT01 weight 33.07lb.

After wheel balancing weight and TPMS, the rear setup could easily comes in at 59lb. That's only 6lb saving and 12lb total. Rear.

It's too early to say light weight wheel won't help... + NT01 are never meant to be a drag tire, google it, and you will find out that no one would recommend that tire for the drag.

I'm wating on Brook from dragtime to do the "real" lightweight wheel setup testing.