Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dragy times for Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sure thing bright spark. Pirelli is barely behind PS4S in the dry, but way ahead in the wet and overall road ride

View attachment 707472

View attachment 707473
Well, you have to get something for the extra $4500! šŸ˜‚ "Mine's bigger than yours"?! :oops:

Just having fun, folks! Enjoy whatever wheels/tire setup you have! More actual member dragy slips, please!

Less talk. More times and setups.

Times and setups: for plaid Channel on 19s

1631281638501.png

Times and setups for Tesla Plaid Channel on 21s

1631281810726.png

Attachments

• 1631281589851.png
    1631281589851.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 58
Being the benchmark doesnā€™t necessarily means being the best. Michelin 4S are great tires by which every new tire measure itself . Doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t be beat.

Tire squeal means nothing-ish. Different compounds in tires affect the noise. Race tires for example are way less noisy than street tires at the limit. Newbies on race tires often go over the limit because they are used to hearing their street tires squeal.

Because the Pirelli make more noise doesnā€™t necessarily mean they have less grip. Different compound. Just like slip angle. Some tires can keep their grip to a large slip angle while others break loose with a narrower slip angle while having more grip.

So we canā€™t really come to any definitive conclusion just yet. So far it seems both are pretty even. More runs from more cars will help get a better idea.

I personally think the 19s donā€™t look good and that the 21s look much better. But the 21s are too heavy and Tesla charges too much for the non forged Arachnids. I think for ~2k$ the Arachnids make sense, not for 5k$. You can get much lighter, stronger AND better looking wheels for that price. Sure some donā€™t like looking for wheels and deal with offset, hubcentric rings and stuff and will be happy to pay for the quite good looking stock 21s. But Iā€™m sure aftermarket wheels makers will make a fortune off of Plaid owners.

Well, just got my Dragy. Did a quick run before dark. Running on cold 19s. I did select drag strip mode. When I made the run, it said I had seven minutes left. 84% SOC. Anyways, hereā€™s my first and only valid run. Thoughts?
@WilliamG

View attachment 707001
So, to wake me up this morning, I took the Plaid with 19s out for a quick local dragy. Test conditions:

1. Overcast/foggy/damp
2. 71% SOC
3. Cold Tires and battery
4. No launch control (Brakes/accelerator thing)
5. No DragStrip mode preheating
6. No Cheetah

Just drove a mile to a safe stretch of road, stopped naturally in "Hold" mode (One pedal driving), reset Dragy, and nailed the accelerator. The results are similar to the more prepped run the other day. Not sure if the whole launch prep, Plaid display, and Cheetah mode is worth it (wait vs. performance benefit), quite frankly - more psychological than anything else. I probably won't ever use that "feature" again.

EDIT: The magnetic Dragy attached well to the dash metal grill that meets up with the windshield and "A" Pillars on each end.

Cold dragy.png

Last edited:
I have a stretch of road near my home where I do my 0-60 runs for consistency. I have done runs at 100%, 80% and 40% and found little difference--the car seems to run 2.3s day in and day out. The biggest difference I have found is road surface/traction.
Yes. The total time seems to be very consistent. Software limiting things is likely responsible for the consistency even with varying SOC. This hints at much higher abilities without software limits.

The part that I found surprising was that I was almost .4 seconds faster than yours from 30-60 when we should have been essentially equal. Traction probably did not play much of a part at that speed.

Tesla Plaid Channel guy reports that

Tesla Plaid Channel
Yes. After over 100 time slips in the two Plaids (dozens yet to be posted), the data is clear. All of the best runs are with Launch Control. Letā€™s take the night Iā€™m editing right now. All Launch Control runs have 60-foots of 1.50 and lower. All other are higher. All Launch Control 1/8th mile times start with 6.0x. All Drag Strip runs without Launch are 6.1x and higher. All Plaid Mode runs are 6.2x and higher. Then again last night, the same pattern. There can be an anomaly to that pattern once in awhile for good explainable reasons. If I make several Drag Strip Mode passes, switch it down to Plaid, and run immediately, itā€™s a bit faster than Plaid normally would be. This is of course because the battery is still warmed up from moments earlier. And if I spin, then of course all bets are off, but itā€™ll the prep is good, it spins about once per night (~ 10% of time). The data looks clear to me. Over 100 logged timeslips. Launch is fastest. Then Drag Strip. Then Plaid.

Not sure if the whole launch prep, Plaid display, and Cheetah mode is worth it (wait vs. performance benefit), quite frankly - more psychological than anything else. I probably won't ever use that "feature"

Tesla Plaid Channel guy reports that

Tesla Plaid Channel
Yes. After over 100 time slips in the two Plaids (dozens yet to be posted), the data is clear. All of the best runs are with Launch Control. Letā€™s take the night Iā€™m editing right now. All Launch Control runs have 60-foots of 1.50 and lower. All other are higher. All Launch Control 1/8th mile times start with 6.0x. All Drag Strip runs without Launch are 6.1x and higher. All Plaid Mode runs are 6.2x and higher. Then again last night, the same pattern. There can be an anomaly to that pattern once in awhile for good explainable reasons. If I make several Drag Strip Mode passes, switch it down to Plaid, and run immediately, itā€™s a bit faster than Plaid normally would be. This is of course because the battery is still warmed up from moments earlier. And if I spin, then of course all bets are off, but itā€™ll the prep is good, it spins about once per night (~ 10% of time). The data looks clear to me. Over 100 logged timeslips. Launch is fastest. Then Drag Strip. Then Plaid.
One of the things I noticed looking at CANbus data across various launches is, when you are using launch mode, the car is applying torque via the wheels during the setup, which, I assume, helps with the launches and initial bite. I have graphs of the data somewhere I can dig up--other they might be buried in this thread, I posted them somewhere a while ago.

One of the things I noticed looking at CANbus data across various launches is, when you are using launch mode, the car is applying torque via the wheels during the setup, which, I assume, helps with the launches and initial bite. I have graphs of the data somewhere I can dig up--other they might be buried in this thread, I posted them somewhere a while ago.
Yeah I believe even the P85D launch mode pretorqued the motors with like 50 kw.

• Informative
Reactions: omarsultan
Yep. You can feel it in the Plaid. The whole car just shifts its weight for a microsecond, like a small lurch in the suspension.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid