Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive on Navigation being released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this feature obviously, but I'm finding it really hard to both monitor the system displays and keep my eyes on the road at the same time. When autopilot is simply maintaining speed and keeping a lane, it's just a glorified cruise control, and it's actually relaxing and reduces cognitive load. But Navigate on Autopilot is now trying to also make higher-level executive decisions and plan a path and choose lanes. And I need to keep checking the screen, comparing my surroundings with what the car thinks its seeing and whether the lane changes requested make sense. It's way more difficult than just driving the car myself. It's like there are two minds trying to control the car now.

I'm new to this feature obviously, but I'm finding it really hard to both monitor the system displays and keep my eyes on the road at the same time. When autopilot is simply maintaining speed and keeping a lane, it's just a glorified cruise control, and it's actually relaxing and reduces cognitive load. But Navigate on Autopilot is now trying to also make higher-level executive decisions and plan a path and choose lanes. And I need to keep checking the screen, comparing my surroundings with what the car thinks its seeing and whether the lane changes requested make sense. It's way more difficult than just driving the car myself. It's like there are two minds trying to control the car now.

To be honest, I think Nav on Autopilot is pretty useless. The lane change acts more like nagging than suggestion. Okay okay I will change lane to follow a faster route if that makes you happy! And some of the "lane changes to follow route" are incorrect. I could stay in a lane and change freeway but the routing wants me to change lane. And often I have to take over when changing freeways on overpass. The AP on Nav just slows it down way too much for it to be safe. When everyone is going 70 on a slight curve, you don't want to suddenly slow down to 60.

It may be useful if you are in the middle of nowhere. No cars around you. And you are sleepy. It could nag you awake on freeway changes so you don't end up like Lightning McQueen.

Reactions: nvx1977

Yeah I noticed the same. However, I believe it beeps at you when a route-related lane change is *necessary*. To be conservative, I haven't tried seeing how far I can go ignoring the lane change before it beeps, though. I think changing lanes to a faster lane is considered optional so it doesn't try to get as much attention for that.

I got the update email last night and right away got the update notification in the app. Installed it, then tried it out on my daily commute. Here's my take on the Drive On Nav (DON) functionality, so far:

First off, the freeway construction in San Diego is sketchy. Sometimes the best route is restricted or closed for traffic, and I'm routed to different ramps or freeways entirely. To my delight, the nav knew right away that the nearest onramp was closed for traffic and sent me to the detour ramp. Next, I was routed around construction that closed northbound lanes on my regular route. DON was entirely in control then on from the on- to off-ramp stoplight 15 miles away. I used the signal when it told me to, and bumped the wheel when it nagged me, but otherwise I just supervised. After exiting the freeway, DON played a short 3-chime ditty to let me know it was done, but did not disengage anything (which is good).

I did notice that it didn't advise me to change lanes when stuck behind cars driving 50 in a 65, with nobody in the neighbor lanes. Maybe I missed that setting? But overall, I was pleasantly surprised at the new functionality.

It seemed to be driving "by the book," so to speak: slowing at overpasses, signaling at ramps, slowing on the off-ramp, that sort of thing. Generally the best rules-of-driving sort of things you'd read in a driver leaner's handbook. In some cases this isn't exactly the best or safest thing to do (eg. slowing on slight curves or ramps) but a little manual intervention with the accelerator didn't mess up the DON.

I feel like DON is, while perhaps somewhat extravagant and/or unnecessary, I feel it has the capacity to help me be a safer driver. I have no qualms setting the speed and relaxing during the trip, and I can only assume future road trips in unknown cities where freeway changes may be confusing or unexpected would be a lot easier to navigate.

Yeah I noticed the same. However, I believe it beeps at you when a route-related lane change is *necessary*. To be conservative, I haven't tried seeing how far I can go ignoring the lane change before it beeps, though. I think changing lanes to a faster lane is considered optional so it doesn't try to get as much attention for that.

The route change beep is kind of strange. Sometime it won't suggest the lane change to follow route when it is under 1 mile away when you really should have changed already. Sometime you are in the correct lane for the route change, but it will ask you to change lane to another correct lane (when there are multiple lanes). And then sometime it will ask you to change lane to follow route when you are still 15 miles away from the freeway change. This morning, I was on the 210 fast lane driving 85 (AP set at 85). My route was to change to 57S and it was still 15 miles away and Nav on AP wants me to change lane right for no apparent reason at all.

If I have to guess at the algorithm, I think Nav on AP wants you to travel in the middle lanes. It doesn't like you driving on the left most or the right most lane. If there are multiple middle lanes, it will try to get you to travel on the right most middle lane. On the surface, it seems logical. The problem with that is that in SoCal, the 2nd lane (the one that AP on Nav likes) is the one that is taken by faster travelling Semi's. So if you following suggested route, it will keep changing from lane 2 (follow route) to lane 3 (faster lane), etc. on a 4 to 5 lanes freeway.

I used to know a truck driver, and she let me in on a little secret about traffic: in moderate to heavy congestion, the "fastest" lane to be in is the one all the truckers are using. Generally speaking, they will almost all congregate in the same lane, give themselves as much distance as they can to minimize how often they have to brake/stop, and most people avoid driving behind/between them because they're so "intimidating."

It doesn't exactly tie into the conversation, but Need mentioned the truck lane and I thought I'd share. :)

Oh, and I changed to Mad Max Mode and get-around-the-slow-pokes prompts started popping up. So thanks for that!

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA