Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit really loud at 60mph+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologize for my ignorance, I've been reading up on the DU problems and not sure if mine is related.

My S60 @ 56k miles. I got it as CPO with 52k miles. Lately it seems the rear DU is really loud I hit 60 mph or more. It's literally like an on/off switch. Car is super silent at 59mph and super loud at 60mph and higher. It doesn't increase in volume with speed, just stays the same level of loudness. The sound is not the milling noise that people talk of. I can only describe it as an engine noise. Maybe it's normal and I'm just imagining things.

Air and tire tread checked and they are nominal.

Have a SC appt in 3 weeks but I like to go in slightly prepared with an idea of what it is.

Thanks!

I had a similar thing at 30mph and above. Do a search for "highway hum" -- a couple of posts should show. They replaced my DU under warranty. I'm too lazy to take my personal info off the service invoice PDF, but here's some copypasta for you:

Concern: Customer states: There is a whining noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when

accelerating above 30 mph. Please check and advise..

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis

Technician verified customer concern, vehicle does not make a whining noise, but

confirmed that its making a humming noise at higher speeds will replace drive unit due to

internal bearing fault.

Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large

Technician removed and replaced the rear drive unit, torqued all bolts to specs, topped off

the drive unit oil, purged the cooling system. Drove car to verify the repair, car drove as

designed.