Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: MS16
It appears that drive train failures have quitened down. Haven't seen any reports of 2015,16 here so far

Huh? There were some reports here in 2016 of outright failures in this thread...
Yeah I thought that was an odd statement, just 12 posts earlier I reported a rear DU failure in my late 2015 70D. No noise before it failed, and flatbed required to get it to the Service Centre. But hopefully these failures ARE becoming more rare and I was just unlucky

A few months back, my December 2014 P85D had a rear DU become "noisy", and had the service center replace it. They were able to do the replacement in a single day as they had a spare on-site.

Vehicle never stopped working, but the noise was louder than an ICE car would have been, and the noise was loudest at 70mph, quieting down at speeds higher and lower.

Not sure if the issue has been 'fixed' after this point, but certainly it still existed in late 2014.

My 12V battery was recently replaced under warranty.

When I got the 12V dash warning, the car was still ok to drive until the battery was replaced several days later. Meanwhile when my rear DU failed - no noise, just sudden dash warning (~10months/13,000km), I was able to drive home on just the front motor, but the next morning the car wouldn't go into drive - flatbed time! So at least for me, the DU failure was more serious and left me stranded (albeit stranded at home)

What month/year was yours produced?

I was told the contactor update was for P85's only, S85 have to live with the ballon squeal (VIN #15XXX).
Interesting. The contactor failure can actually cause the car to die completely (if the power contacts get sufficiently pitted). So I guess S85 owners just have to wait until it dies to get it replaced.

Edit: I see other people have had their contactors replaced proactively. Mine haven't been and my car's early enough I'm pretty sure they should have been. I'm going to keep an ear out for the balloon squeal.

Regarding the drivetrain, -Q revisions (for ordinary S cars) and -P revisions (for "performance" cars) seem to work right; if you have any earlier revision it will eventually need to get replaced, so try to break it before your warranty expires. They seem to have started using these revisions in late 2015, not clear exactly when.

I had my 2014 P85 rear DU replaced earlier this week due to "milling" sound. This new DU appears more powerful than the old one. The car feels quicker and accelerates more effortlessly. Are the specs for the newer performance rear DU better than the older versions? Or I'm just imagining things?

My VIN #16,xxx S85 had the drive unit replaced during CPO reconditioning a year ago this month. That DU was replaced in September 2016 along with the battery heater due to isolation faults (0.1 kohms for the DU and 44 kohms for the battery heater).
Those are the two I am aware of, although I suppose it could have had the DU replaced at some point in its first three years of existence.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I just had my drive unit replaced on June 29th.
"ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS(1025598-00-P)"

I'm noticing the car feels weaker on pedal response when I floor it or just attempt bursts of speed to get around bad drivers on highways. I took the car into service to have weird rattling looked at underneath the car and got a p85 as a loaner. the response of that car pins me to the seat and my wife confirmed that this is how my car felt when I first got it as a CPO in January 2016.

silverp85+ Same thing just happened to my 2013 P85. After installation of 1025598-00-P in April 2017, it feels about 20% weaker.

Were you able to resolve?

-Michael

Got drive unit #3 on my 2013 P85+ this week. Got #2 in Sept '14 with version 1002633-01-E. Was just in for annual service and had DU#3 installed because "Technician notes abnormal noise present at rear drive unit. Recommend replacement." I'd noticed a fine vibration under full acceleration but hadn't even mentioned it to the service guys. Now have version 1025598-00-P. Definitely quieter, doesn't feel faster or slower, still 340-360 kW under full acceleration per Power Tools. Wonder if I'll get better mileage, since this is likely the (somewhat) newer "High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit" which came out in Nov '14 High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit

Got drive unit #3 on my 2013 P85+ this week. Got #2 in Sept '14 with version 1002633-01-E. Was just in for annual service and had DU#3 installed because "Technician notes abnormal noise present at rear drive unit. Recommend replacement." I'd noticed a fine vibration under full acceleration but hadn't even mentioned it to the service guys. Now have version 1025598-00-P. Definitely quieter, doesn't feel faster or slower, still 340-360 kW under full acceleration per Power Tools. Wonder if I'll get better mileage, since this is likely the (somewhat) newer "High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit" which came out in Nov '14 High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit
Let's hope P fixes it.

Yep, Still pretty quick (for a P85). 4.2sec 0-63MPH going uphill...

IMG_4233.PNG
IMG_4232.PNG

Last edited:
I had my DU fail at 35,000 miles and again at 70,000 miles. I specifically asked if the replacement was a P unit. When I got it back I checked it on my private short straight road. 0-60 mph at just over 4 seconds with the tail wagging that the old P85 is known for still there. I hope this is the last DU. I am driving more sedately now.

<snip>

I am now on my 4th drive unit. The original drive unit started milling around 20,000 miles and was replaced at 24,000 miles. The second drive unit failed on Tesla's test drive and was therefore replaced immediately. I had high hopes the third drive unit (remanufactured) would be a keeper. The milling and shim issues were well known at that time. Unfortunately that was not the case. The Third drive unit started milling again after around 20,000 miles. This was noted during my car's annual. It was scheduled to be replaced at a later time due to a high demand for replacement non-performance drive units. So that got done today. None of the drive units ever failed outright (except of coarse the DOA one that Tesla had to deal with). They were just noisy. How noisy? Not very bad. You could hear them much more when the windows were open and the sound reflecting back into the car. But I suspect they would slowly get worse and get more annoying over time. If I had to guess, I could have driven it another 25,000 miles this way without too much of an issue.

That said, it is still my biggest long term concern with this vehicle. Changing drive units annually is not going to be good for Tesla in the long term. The 4th drive unit is also a remanufactured unit (was hoping for a brand new one). But it should still have the latest fixes, if there are any. Time will tell. I will report back on this subject in about a year or so (roughly 25,000 miles) and let you all know how it is holding up.
<snip>

So, my car is currently at 105,500 or so miles. hmm... so what could this post be about?...

You guessed it. Drive unit.

After my labor day road trip, I noticed a tiny bit of bearing noise at low speeds. Looks like this Revision M drive unit is suffering the same fate as the previous 3 ones. (milling noise) Although this one lasted 60K miles, compared to 25K or less miles with the priors. I plan on having Tesla strategically replacing the unit closer to 125K mile warranty expiration so as to hopefully prolong warranty coverage of drive unit for as long as possible. One year standard warranty on the replacement, I think.

Fingers crossed that the Revision Q or later drive units really do fix this issue once and for all.

On a side note: my decision/gamble to not buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty worked out well. No other issues of significance with the car. So at least that money I set aside is still there.

Last edited:
My turn: noticed the milling noise at low speed under load in early June at around 34k miles. Had a Ranger verify the noise last month so that the part could be ordered. Just had the DU replacement this week at 40k miles (795 miles of driving, round trip, for the service visit). My CPO S60 is a May 2014 build, so I was expecting the DU replacement eventually.

Based on what others have said, I got the rebuilt Q revision — (1025276-00-Q) — so I expect that I won't need another. Sure is nice to have my car be completely silent again; it drives like it was new!

Invoice also has "right front knuckle assembly and hardware ordered - customer will be notified when the
parts arrive." Anyone know what that's all about? Is it a safety issue? I sure don't want to make yet another 795 mile trip to Denver for service; I'd rather wait until next spring.