TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by nleggatt, Apr 11, 2014.

?

Drive Units Replaced

1. 1 Units

272 vote(s)
    79.8%
  2. 2 Units

50 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. 3 Units

10 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. 4 Units

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. 5+ Units

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

• Informative x 1
  2. f-stop

f-stop Member

Yeah I thought that was an odd statement, just 12 posts earlier I reported a rear DU failure in my late 2015 70D. No noise before it failed, and flatbed required to get it to the Service Centre. But hopefully these failures ARE becoming more rare and I was just unlucky

3. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

A few months back, my December 2014 P85D had a rear DU become "noisy", and had the service center replace it. They were able to do the replacement in a single day as they had a spare on-site.

Vehicle never stopped working, but the noise was louder than an ICE car would have been, and the noise was loudest at 70mph, quieting down at speeds higher and lower.

Not sure if the issue has been 'fixed' after this point, but certainly it still existed in late 2014.

4. MS16

MS16 Member

What month/year was yours produced?

5. f-stop

f-stop Member

late Nov 2015 production

• Informative x 2
  6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Interesting. The contactor failure can actually cause the car to die completely (if the power contacts get sufficiently pitted). So I guess S85 owners just have to wait until it dies to get it replaced.

Edit: I see other people have had their contactors replaced proactively. Mine haven't been and my car's early enough I'm pretty sure they should have been. I'm going to keep an ear out for the balloon squeal.

Regarding the drivetrain, -Q revisions (for ordinary S cars) and -P revisions (for "performance" cars) seem to work right; if you have any earlier revision it will eventually need to get replaced, so try to break it before your warranty expires. They seem to have started using these revisions in late 2015, not clear exactly when.

7. Ironforge

Ironforge Member

I had my 2014 P85 rear DU replaced earlier this week due to "milling" sound. This new DU appears more powerful than the old one. The car feels quicker and accelerates more effortlessly. Are the specs for the newer performance rear DU better than the older versions? Or I'm just imagining things?

8. XJmaxxG8

XJmaxxG8 Member

My VIN #16,xxx S85 had the drive unit replaced during CPO reconditioning a year ago this month. That DU was replaced in September 2016 along with the battery heater due to isolation faults (0.1 kohms for the DU and 44 kohms for the battery heater).
    Those are the two I am aware of, although I suppose it could have had the DU replaced at some point in its first three years of existence.

• Informative x 1
  9. Michael7S

Michael7S New Member

silverp85+ Same thing just happened to my 2013 P85. After installation of 1025598-00-P in April 2017, it feels about 20% weaker.

Were you able to resolve?

-Michael