TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by nleggatt, Apr 11, 2014.

?

Drive Units Replaced

1. 1 Units

283 vote(s)
    79.7%
  2. 2 Units

53 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. 3 Units

10 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. 4 Units

4 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. 5+ Units

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

• Informative x 1
  2. f-stop

f-stop Member

Yeah I thought that was an odd statement, just 12 posts earlier I reported a rear DU failure in my late 2015 70D. No noise before it failed, and flatbed required to get it to the Service Centre. But hopefully these failures ARE becoming more rare and I was just unlucky

3. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

A few months back, my December 2014 P85D had a rear DU become "noisy", and had the service center replace it. They were able to do the replacement in a single day as they had a spare on-site.

Vehicle never stopped working, but the noise was louder than an ICE car would have been, and the noise was loudest at 70mph, quieting down at speeds higher and lower.

Not sure if the issue has been 'fixed' after this point, but certainly it still existed in late 2014.

4. MS16

MS16 Member

What month/year was yours produced?

5. f-stop

f-stop Member

late Nov 2015 production

• Informative x 2
  6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Interesting. The contactor failure can actually cause the car to die completely (if the power contacts get sufficiently pitted). So I guess S85 owners just have to wait until it dies to get it replaced.

Edit: I see other people have had their contactors replaced proactively. Mine haven't been and my car's early enough I'm pretty sure they should have been. I'm going to keep an ear out for the balloon squeal.

Regarding the drivetrain, -Q revisions (for ordinary S cars) and -P revisions (for "performance" cars) seem to work right; if you have any earlier revision it will eventually need to get replaced, so try to break it before your warranty expires. They seem to have started using these revisions in late 2015, not clear exactly when.

7. Ironforge

Ironforge Member

I had my 2014 P85 rear DU replaced earlier this week due to "milling" sound. This new DU appears more powerful than the old one. The car feels quicker and accelerates more effortlessly. Are the specs for the newer performance rear DU better than the older versions? Or I'm just imagining things?

8. XJmaxxG8

XJmaxxG8 Member

My VIN #16,xxx S85 had the drive unit replaced during CPO reconditioning a year ago this month. That DU was replaced in September 2016 along with the battery heater due to isolation faults (0.1 kohms for the DU and 44 kohms for the battery heater).
    Those are the two I am aware of, although I suppose it could have had the DU replaced at some point in its first three years of existence.

• Informative x 1
  9. Michael7S

Michael7S New Member

silverp85+ Same thing just happened to my 2013 P85. After installation of 1025598-00-P in April 2017, it feels about 20% weaker.

Were you able to resolve?

-Michael

10. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

Got drive unit #3 on my 2013 P85+ this week. Got #2 in Sept '14 with version 1002633-01-E. Was just in for annual service and had DU#3 installed because "Technician notes abnormal noise present at rear drive unit. Recommend replacement." I'd noticed a fine vibration under full acceleration but hadn't even mentioned it to the service guys. Now have version 1025598-00-P. Definitely quieter, doesn't feel faster or slower, still 340-360 kW under full acceleration per Power Tools. Wonder if I'll get better mileage, since this is likely the (somewhat) newer "High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit" which came out in Nov '14 High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit

11. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Let's hope P fixes it.

12. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member

#612 SarahsDad, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Yep, Still pretty quick (for a P85). 4.2sec 0-63MPH going uphill...

IMG_4233.PNG IMG_4232.PNG

• Informative x 1
  13. William13

William13 Member

I had my DU fail at 35,000 miles and again at 70,000 miles. I specifically asked if the replacement was a P unit. When I got it back I checked it on my private short straight road. 0-60 mph at just over 4 seconds with the tail wagging that the old P85 is known for still there. I hope this is the last DU. I am driving more sedately now.

14. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

William, plz be clear. Were either of these flatbed tows where DU wasn't working, or were they replacements due to milling noise? I really do not think those two things are the same, and they should not be conflated.

15. Texas

Texas Member

Meaningless poll without a zero drive unit replacement checkbox. For the record, I'm still on my two original P85D drive units.

Without the zero option, how would anyone know how many owners just skipped the poll in disgust at its illogical and possibly intentionally slanted approach?

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  16. davewill

davewill Member

Hopefully plenty. Shame you weren't one of them.,

17. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

#617 glhs272, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    So, my car is currently at 105,500 or so miles. hmm... so what could this post be about?...

You guessed it. Drive unit.

After my labor day road trip, I noticed a tiny bit of bearing noise at low speeds. Looks like this Revision M drive unit is suffering the same fate as the previous 3 ones. (milling noise) Although this one lasted 60K miles, compared to 25K or less miles with the priors. I plan on having Tesla strategically replacing the unit closer to 125K mile warranty expiration so as to hopefully prolong warranty coverage of drive unit for as long as possible. One year standard warranty on the replacement, I think.

Fingers crossed that the Revision Q or later drive units really do fix this issue once and for all.

On a side note: my decision/gamble to not buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty worked out well. No other issues of significance with the car. So at least that money I set aside is still there.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  18. chargeshare

chargeshare Member

I was told my CPO had the DU replaced during the reconditioning process. ~38,000 miles.

19. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I have 36k on a new Q unit with no noise. Hopefully it lasts. Original DU started milling at 16-18k miles, outright failure at 49,006.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

My turn: noticed the milling noise at low speed under load in early June at around 34k miles. Had a Ranger verify the noise last month so that the part could be ordered. Just had the DU replacement this week at 40k miles (795 miles of driving, round trip, for the service visit). My CPO S60 is a May 2014 build, so I was expecting the DU replacement eventually.

Based on what others have said, I got the rebuilt Q revision — (1025276-00-Q) — so I expect that I won't need another. Sure is nice to have my car be completely silent again; it drives like it was new!

Invoice also has "right front knuckle assembly and hardware ordered - customer will be notified when the
    parts arrive." Anyone know what that's all about? Is it a safety issue? I sure don't want to make yet another 795 mile trip to Denver for service; I'd rather wait until next spring.