Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the poll started I had 2 replacements. Over time I had mine replaced 7 times. Every 15k miles it became so noisy that it had to be replaced. Now I finally have one that stays quiet. I believe they got the issues worked out and once all cars with problem got the new revision drive unit, the issue s fixed for good.

My story is similar to @David99. I had 7 replacements as well. My last one was a -Q revision unit in March 2016. I've driven it 36k miles and it's been perfect. I think they finally got it fixed. No unit before this one lasted more than 10k miles without starting to make some kind of sound.

Wow you guys! I was just going to ask (since I can't respond zero and therefore unable to see results) if anyone really had 5+. Today's whiners would have been comitting mayhem with your experiences. :eek: Thanks for leading the way! All safe & sound here.

• Love
Reactions: David99
I think it's important to keep these 'failures' in context... not saying the DUs shouldn't have been replaced... they WERE defective... but most DUs were replaced due to noise... they still worked fine. I lived with a noisy DU for >50k miles... it never failed and there were no other adverse effects other than the noise. I finally got it replaced ~5k miles ago and it's doing great :); IMO the 12v battery issue is more serious since that's gotten people stranded (obviously there have been some actual DU failures but those appear to be rare...).... AND the 12v battery isn't covered by the original warranty :mad:

Reactions: neroden
Wow you guys! I was just going to ask (since I can't respond zero and therefore unable to see results) if anyone really had 5+. Today's whiners would have been comitting mayhem with your experiences. :eek: Thanks for leading the way! All safe & sound here.

I knew the issue wasn't critical and Tesla took care of it each time. Honestly I knew buying the car there would be some issues. Their first real production car, no way it would be perfect. Tesla learned and fixed a lot of issues. I'm still impressed how well the car overall holds up and both Drive Unit and battery have unlimited miles warranty so there is little to worry about.

Getting my rear performance drive unit replaced today. It's had a slight milling sound at a particular power output (like when traveling through a school zone) for almost a year now which has gotten slightly worse over time. I understand these performance drive units are on galactic back order.

It's not? I didn't realize that, I thought they were covered.
My 12V battery was recently replaced under warranty.
[...] IMO the 12v battery issue is more serious since that's gotten people stranded (obviously there have been some actual DU failures but those appear to be rare...).... AND the 12v battery isn't covered by the original warranty :mad:
When I got the 12V dash warning, the car was still ok to drive until the battery was replaced several days later. Meanwhile when my rear DU failed - no noise, just sudden dash warning (~10months/13,000km), I was able to drive home on just the front motor, but the next morning the car wouldn't go into drive - flatbed time! So at least for me, the DU failure was more serious and left me stranded (albeit stranded at home)

It's covered under the initial warranty, but extended warranty they'll charge $200 deductible. Not sure what the out of warranty cost of them replacing a dead 12V battery is.

Up to $400. Apparently it's labour intensive... regular replacement wasn't anticipated. I've heard the battery is easier to get to with the facelift design.

Up to $400. Apparently it's labour intensive... regular replacement wasn't anticipated. I've heard the battery is easier to get to with the facelift design.
Actually the 12V battery is easier to get to with late pre-facelift Model S as well. I know the early Model S had the battery buried deep under the air filter, but I know the battery is out in the open once you remove the frunk tub on my 2015 70D w/ nosecone - I assume they moved the battery around the time the dual motor models came out. See this video around the 2:10min mark Quick video guide for frunk disassembly

for comparison look where its buried in a 2014 RWD Model S (after about the 3:50mark in the video)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just had my original DU replaced on my Dec.2014 S85. Old unit had low speed milling sound and a bit of a clunk between regen and power application. New DU is super quiet and has no more clunk. So far I'm very impressed with the new (Rev. Q) DU.

Getting my rear performance drive unit replaced today. It's had a slight milling sound at a particular power output (like when traveling through a school zone) for almost a year now which has gotten slightly worse over time. I understand these performance drive units are on galactic back order.
How long did it take to get the replacement after you first reported the milling sound to Tesla service and had them confirm the problem? I ask because I've also had the milling sound in my performance drive unit, most noticeable around 30mph, for the last year. It's been more than 6 months since they put me on the waiting list.

How long did it take to get the replacement after you first reported the milling sound to Tesla service and had them confirm the problem? I ask because I've also had the milling sound in my performance drive unit, most noticeable around 30mph, for the last year. It's been more than 6 months since they put me on the waiting list.

I reported it almost as soon as I heard it so I'd say close to a year wait.

Need to change my answer from 1 to 2. Last Friday I had rear performance drive unit replaced and that definitely fixed the milling noise I was hearing, but then I noticed a new vibration at 80-85 mph. Tesla checked it today and swapped out my custom wheels for standard 21s to rule that out as an issue and the vibration was still there. They determined it was caused by a bad front drive unit. I guess it was just a coincidence.

So front drive unit on order along with my Ludicrous battery pack and charge port. (Charge port error just appeared 2 days ago. It's my second charge port.)

On the positive side, I'm getting a lot of things fixed at 48,666 miles - just before 50k. :/