Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had balloon squeal, milling noise, clunking, outright failure, and maybe some other noises that I'm forgetting, so it's likely that different drives had different issues at different times. Hopefully they've eliminated all the issues by now.

Mine has balloon squeal and I was told it's normal and that there is nothing that can be done, even though I know for a fact that many VINs before and after mine received contactor switch upgrades that eliminated this balloon squealing noise. To be fair, I think the balloon noise has more to do with the battery and switches and less to do with the DU. I'm also experiencing some major frustrations with Tesla on the software front, their recent releases have been awful. I'm a bit down on Tesla right now.

My rear drive unit outright FAILED unexpectedly at 31K miles, while waiting for the red light at a busy highway offramp. Held up traffic for 30 minutes :-(

Fortunately still under warranty, service center will replace drive unit and get back to me tomorrow. Roadside assistance was really courteous and professional.

I recommend we lock this thread and start another in its place... aside from the fact that '0' isn't an option this thread is nearly 2 years old and I'm guessing there have probably been a few more failures since then and you can't really change your options.

You can't really change your options.

I'm changing my original vote (of no swap), or rather re-voting for my first drivetrain replacement. I've had the milling noise for about 18K miles, but it wasn't bothersome, and was reassured by Tesla that it was not a driving risk. Made arrangements with the local SC to have an engineer take a ride with me, and for my 3 year check up Tesla is going to replace my original drive train. He said it's a $1 part that the SC's aren't allowed to change on their own. 36K miles.

On a brighter note, I was able to inspect my first X at the Centralia Supercharger this week. Much better than I expected, except for one sticky "wing". Man, the seats sure are better than the originals in the early S!

I recently had my car in for an unrelated issue but mentioned the clunking sound and small jerking motion when driving slowly that I had just become aware of. The tesla guy I rode with noticed it right away. When I picked up my car I had yet another drive unit installed. That makes it two in 50K miles

Last edited:
Encoder failure sounds like a new DU issue. Do you know if it physically came loose or if it was an electrical failure? Did it leave you stranded?
I don't think it's a new issue. Most of the time, the owner doesn't know what failed when there is a problem. The dash just shows a generic message. Once the car is in service mode, it shows a specific fault code, which can be looked up in toolbox. Yes, the car won't move. It did go about 25 miles with faults showing( Red PRND) before "no worky". Without taking the DU apart, it's hard to say what caused it, but most likely moisture in the inverter. It did not leave me stranded. The car quit right in front of the office.

BTW, Tesla Service is awesome this time, and went above and beyond etc.

You're assuming the drive shafts are breaking. It has happened, but I don't think those are the main problem areas.

Not exactly, depending on what you mean. The shafts are probably fine, but it sounds like the interconnects where there are gears, splines, or bearings are loosening up, and may eventually fail completely, though not right away. This could be (and I would guess probably is) caused by them not being beefy enough to handle the instantaneous torque.

Approximately what mileage and date did you receive each replacement?

Let's see...

Car delivered --> late Aug 2013

First DU replacement --> 13441 mi, Sept 2014, at the 1st annual service

Second DU replacement --> 29026 mi, Aug 2015

Now at 41000 mi, and I hear baby cicadas during very light acceleration between 1 and 10 KW... I assume the sound will continue growing and growing as the cicada hatchlings mature over the coming months. :)

Just a thought, I'm not a Tesla owner yet but have been reading a lot about them and plan to get one in the future.

Could leaving creep on help to reduce the DU problems? I'm thinking with the huge instant torque, if you have creep on it helps to eliminate any backlash and reduce the hammering effect on the gears compared to having creep off. I am a mechanical engineer but not an electric car expert but just a thought I had.

For the owners with multiple DU replacements, do you have creep on or off?