Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive X to work or leave it at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model X and VW CC. Nobody at my company drives a tesla, our VP drive Cadillac escalator,
Right now I drive VW to work, although I really want to drive tesla every day from and to work.

Have anyone else faced the same problem? What is your concern?

• Funny
Reactions: Owner
Sometimes it just drives too much attention. In Michigan, there are only hundreds of Tesla. And I just work here for 6 months. Am I worrying about too much?

If it was me I would just drive it. If you are worried about vandalism or your employers thinking they are paying you too much, then that is something you have to decide for yourself. I found that not many people noticed my gray Model S in the parking lot. That may not be the case with the X if you start opening the falcon wing doors though.

The thing to do would be to come in early one day with the X and just listen to see if you hear any comments made about it. You would be able to judge then by the comments if there would be an issue. If so, just leave quietly and keep driving the VW.

If it was me I would just drive it. If you are worried about vandalism or your employers thinking they are paying you too much, then that is something you have to decide for yourself. I found that not many people noticed my gray Model S in the parking lot. That may not be the case with the X if you start opening the falcon wing doors though.

The thing to do would be to come in early one day with the X and just listen to see if you hear any comments made about it. You would be able to judge then by the comments if there would be an issue. If so, just leave quietly and keep driving the VW.
Thanks, that is great advice.

LOL, I have an S and not an X. I work for an Oil and Gas drilling and exploratory research company, and I drive my Model S to work everyday for the past year. The president and the VP's all drive Mercedes, BMW, or Cadillac. I am the System Admin not a VP or director, that happen to invest wisely. At first, I raised a few eyebrows, even got questioned about how I could afford it, I would explain the total cost of ownership compare to and ICE and the great service provided by Tesla. So, how could I afford not to buy one. A year later, now the parking lot at the office has 1 Leaf, 1 BMW i3, and 2 Tesla's. The President still has his ICE vehicles but his wife has an X now.

So, Hide your Tesla at home if you want, but I drive it that's what you bought it for. Also you may be surprised who will ask for your referral code, after a few months of show an tell to co-workers.

Reactions: Scmbug
LOL, I have an S and not an X. I work for an Oil and Gas drilling and exploratory research company, and I drive my Model S to work everyday for the past year. The president and the VP's all drive Mercedes, BMW, or Cadillac. I am the System Admin not a VP or director, that happen to invest wisely. At first, I raised a few eyebrows, even got questioned about how I could afford it, I would explain the total cost of ownership compare to and ICE and the great service provided by Tesla. So, how could I afford not to buy one. A year later, now the parking lot at the office has 1 Leaf, 1 BMW i3, and 2 Tesla's. The President still has his ICE vehicles but his wife has an X now.

So, Hide your Tesla at home if you want, but I drive it that's what you bought it for. Also you may be surprised who will ask for your referral code, after a few months of show an tell to co-workers.
yep, thx man, why bother myself? I am sick of paying for insurance for my VW. I am just gonna drive to work tommorrow

If it helps at all, I can say that I drove my Tesla to a Mercedes Benz Club event, and got nothing but enthusiasm and curiosity, no expressed resentment. i also brought it to a "cars and coffee" event at a Lexus dealer. there were 4 or 5 other Teslas there, too, as well as maybe 100 or more other cars. We had lots of interest. One of the Lexus sales guys was keenly interested, and spent several minutes inside the car, looking at the controls and the screens, and seemed genuinely glad for the opportunity to get a close look at the car. I know a car show is not a work parking lot, but I think you will be fine. Just don't be boastful -- be gracious with comments and questions, and recognize that not everyone will be a fan.

• Love
Reactions: dapao
If it helps at all, I can say that I drove my Tesla to a Mercedes Benz Club event, and got nothing but enthusiasm and curiosity, no expressed resentment. i also brought it to a "cars and coffee" event at a Lexus dealer. there were 4 or 5 other Teslas there, too, as well as maybe 100 or more other cars. We had lots of interest. One of the Lexus sales guys was keenly interested, and spent several minutes inside the car, looking at the controls and the screens, and seemed genuinely glad for the opportunity to get a close look at the car. I know a car show is not a work parking lot, but I think you will be fine. Just don't be boastful -- be gracious with comments and questions, and recognize that not everyone will be a fan.
I am no boastful person at all. That is why I keep it quiet. Some of my co-worker has a problem with tesla and I haven't said anything to them yet. My company is also a supplier for TESLA.