Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver door and falcon door hitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im sure this isn’t normal but just wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue. I’ve had my 2016 CPO X for 3 weeks.

If the driver door is open about 6” and I close the falcon door they hit each other. It is just a slight hit but enough to nic the paint.

That’s not normal right?!?

I’ve always THOUGHT they would hit if they were opening/closing simultaneously and crossed at just the right moment and distance...but I’ve been too scared to test my theory.

I hope dethman is right and you’ve got an alignment issue. I would hate to think the possibility is there for the the two to hit when properly aligned!

I had a Tesla empolyee tell me that they are "timed" to not hit each other, but I never believed this. I wouldn't think they could hit each other because I have the following (possibly misguided) expectations:
1) The FWD opens straight out, so it is never any further forward than when it is closed
2) The driver door opens on a hinge, since it doesn't change lengths as it opens, it is never as far backward as when it is closed

For the doors to touch each other, one of those expectations has to be broken. I don't see how (2) can be breakable while the hinge is still inside the constraints of the body. That having been said, (1) might be more breakable due to the complexity of the design, with the top section being a different size in front than in back and the door being a different height in front than in back. Regardless, with a CPO vehicle that is presumably still under warranty, I would definitely bring this up with the service center.

If you leave the door open at the perfect spot then it could very well touch the FWD when the FWD is closing/opening. However, they shouldn't touch when they're both closing/opening at the same time (Close All). They fixed this timing issue early on.

If you leave the door open at the perfect spot then it could very well touch the FWD when the FWD is closing/opening. However, they shouldn't touch when they're both closing/opening at the same time (Close All). They fixed this timing issue early on.
This is correct in spite of what I said earlier. I looked at my car when I got home and it was obvious why. The gap between the doors is not perpendicular to the ground, but instead goes from front to back when going from bottom to top. Because of this, the bottom of the FWD is further forward and the top of the driver door is further back, at least theoretically allowing them to hit if they are in the same place at the same time. Wouldn't hurt to ask the service center in case something isn't working that should prevent it, but not necessarily an alignment issue nonetheless.

I have a 2016 Model X. The doors absolutely will collide - much more readily than you would think. The service center who was fantastic at resolving many other issues was unable to resolve this for me. I think the reality is the early Model X's have this quirk. Hopefully they fixed the problem as the build quality improved. I am keenly interested if in fact there is a fix for this problem for the 2016 model.

I had my 2016 (Sept build) for 1.5yr. Not once did they collide. I’ve always manually closed the driver door by hand from inside or outside. I could see many times they could hit but never. I think they will only collide if alignment is off.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I had my 2016 (Sept build) for 1.5yr. Not once did they collide. I’ve always manually closed the driver door by hand from inside or outside. I could see many times they could hit but never. I think they will only collide if alignment is off.
Thanks! I’m going to have it checked. I find it hard to believe that if it is normal I’ve had it happen twice in 3 weeks and others have never had it happen.