Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver profile settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the driver profile settings are linked to a keyfob, are the settings supposed to restore when you reenter the car? This is what I would expect but it's not working for me. For example, if I am using my profile and I move the steering wheel up without saving the new setting, I expect the steering wheel to return to the saved location when I reenter the car. What am I missing?

I love better understand this as well. It appears that just opening the door won't restore the profile. I have to unlock the car with the fob for it to restore settings to the linked profile. If the car is already unlocked, I have to lock and then unlock the car using the fob. Also, in my AP2 X there is a way to link a given fob to a profile but my AP1 S does not seem to have the link option. Is this feature only available on AP2?

I love better understand this as well. It appears that just opening the door won't restore the profile. I have to unlock the car with the fob for it to restore settings to the linked profile. If the car is already unlocked, I have to lock and then unlock the car using the fob. Also, in my AP2 X there is a way to link a given fob to a profile but my AP1 S does not seem to have the link option. Is this feature only available on AP2?
Ditto, I have been trying to understand this too. What is the difference that you are referring to between unlocking and opening the door? As soon as you walk away with a key, the doors lock. When you come back with another key, the car unlocks.
Our keys are linked to our respective profiles, but our AP1 car stays in the previous driver profile no matter what key I unlock with. It's a mystery.

Ditto, I have been trying to understand this too. What is the difference that you are referring to between unlocking and opening the door? As soon as you walk away with a key, the doors lock. When you come back with another key, the car unlocks.
Our keys are linked to our respective profiles, but our AP1 car stays in the previous driver profile no matter what key I unlock with. It's a mystery.
Oops, I guess I was too quick with the "can't be". Can you say "regression testing"?

My X changes profiles (or at least did last time I checked) depending on which fob is approaching. It is possible that if that profile is already active it doesn't make any changes, even if you have temporarily changed a setting. Make sure your fob is not next to your cell phone or another fob to avoid interference.

If you change the steering wheel position by using an exit profile and then approach the car with a fob linked to a different driver profile it should change to match the fob linked profile. That might work for the OP.

On our cross-country trip in April (17.17.4 I think) we used only my fob, linked to my profile. My wife selected her profile manually, but every time we left the car and came back my profile would be in place. The other fob is set up for my wife's profile, but after testing it we haven't really used it.

Just out of curiosity, instead of adjusting the current profile, switch to a different profile.

You have to go into
Controls -> settings -> Driver Profiles

Select the profile and then "Link to key fob X" will display.

Easiest if only one fob around. Impossible to tell them apart.

I am pretty confident if another profile is selected then my settings will be restored when I open the car with my fob. But the way I've seen this implemented on most other cars is that your saved profile is restored each time you enter (based on key fob) and that doesn't seem to be happening.

I am pretty confident if another profile is selected then my settings will be restored when I open the car with my fob. But the way I've seen this implemented on most other cars is that your saved profile is restored each time you enter (based on key fob) and that doesn't seem to be happening.

I agree. Tesla is still treating it like the same named profile is in operation (hence the save/restore w/ name associated). Other cars I've driven (BMW, Acura) treat the profile as changed/disassociated as soon as you make a change.

Profiles linking caused more problems in our car, so I ended up disabling that feature pretty quickly. The worst part was if my wife stayed in the passenger seat while I was out of the car, I would often return to find the driver's seat set to her position and that meant I can't fit......Worse yet, I would have to get back into the car to reset the profile choice to my settings. Doesn't make sense Tesla!

Other cars that put the profile switches on the door or seat make it easy to change profiles before you have to sit down.

Profiles linking caused more problems in our car, so I ended up disabling that feature pretty quickly. The worst part was if my wife stayed in the passenger seat while I was out of the car, I would often return to find the driver's seat set to her position and that meant I can't fit......Worse yet, I would have to get back into the car to reset the profile choice to my settings. Doesn't make sense Tesla!

Other cars that put the profile switches on the door or seat make it easy to change profiles before you have to sit down.
Do both of you carry your keys at the same time? I've seen a lot of cars get confused as to which profile to use. My old Lexus did it the best. It was purely based on the key fob that initiated the unlock.

Just out of curiosity, instead of adjusting the current profile, switch to a different profile.

You have to go into
Controls -> settings -> Driver Profiles

Select the profile and then "Link to key fob X" will display.

Easiest if only one fob around. Impossible to tell them apart.
Exactly. this is what I meant by keys being linked to our respective profiles.

Do both of you carry your keys at the same time? I've seen a lot of cars get confused as to which profile to use. My old Lexus did it the best. It was purely based on the key fob that initiated the unlock.
Yes, especially if we are on a road trip, I don't want to travel with only one fob just in case one was lost. Unfortunately, Tesla does not consider which fob opened the car.

Also posted in 2012 Signature Cars

Any veteran owners out there with older cars Circa 2012 2013 perhaps that can answer this. My car is capable of saving a driver profile and associating it with either key fob one or key fob two, why doesn't it reset itself to that profile when the car sees the key approaching and unlocks?

Tesla Service told me that my car is not capable of setting a driver profile based on an approaching key fob or the key fob used to unlock the vehicle but I wonder why
img_20171023_160115422-jpg.255744