Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Do you have same issue?

• Yes

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 70 73.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got off the phone with Tesla, and this is their final decision:

- they WILL NOT fix my seat, because this is how it's designed, deal with it!
- they do not allow any custom upholstery work to fix the issue with my seat. they will void the warranty
- they are willing to take my car for with around $20K check (+$7.5K downpayment that I already paid)
- and the worse one! They insulated this issue into being only MY(Alex's) issue with their seat and refuse to hear that other people (even model S owners) have the same issue

they are giving me no choice, but officially turning me from a Tesla Fanboy into a Tesla hater.

I'm asking all 10 people who voted "Yes" in the poll (and people who will find this post later in life) to please contact Tesla rep (info below), and ask her put you in the same case# as I am(info below), so that their enginers will see that this is not a single insulated issue, and please write me in private message so we can come up with a possible legal action.

Tesla Brooklyn
Tannia Valenzuela
718-510-8064 (press 2 for service)
[email protected]
Tell her that you want to be combined in same case# with the Model X (last 4 VIN#2830) seat issue that she is/was dealing with.
(None US owner please write her an email)

• Love
Reactions: Taoweiji
just got off the phone with Tesla, and this is their final decision:

- they WILL NOT fix my seat, because this is how it's designed, deal with it!
- they do not allow any custom upholstery work to fix the issue with my seat. they will void the warranty
- they are willing to take my car for with around $20K check (+$7.5K downpayment that I already paid)
- and the worse one! They insulated this issue into being only MY(Alex's) issue with their seat and refuse to hear that other people (even model S owners) have the same issue

they are giving me no choice, but officially turning me from a Tesla Fanboy into a Tesla hater.

I'm asking all 10 people who voted "Yes" in the poll (and people who will find this post later in life) to please contact Tesla rep (info below), and ask her put you in the same case# as I am(info below), so that their enginers will see that this is not a single insulated issue, and please write me in private message so we can come up with a possible legal action.

Tesla Brooklyn
Tannia Valenzuela
718-510-8064 (press 2 for service)
[email protected]
Tell her that you want to be combined in same case# with the Model X (last 4 VIN#2830) seat issue that she is/was dealing with.
(None US owner please write her an email)

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having. That sucks, but are you really surprised by their response? I am not sure what you want them to do. Should they design a custom seat just for you? Why not design a custom seat for the 500 lb driver? Or what about the 4' driver? I am sure BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus would respond the same exact way.

To put this into context, every automaker has issues with a few drivers not feeling comfortable. They are designing one seat to fit an infinite amount of body types. See below for a sampling of other forum threads where drivers are having similar seat issues -

Comfort seats - uncomfortable.
Does anyone else think the GS-F seats are uncomfortable? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Uncomfortable seats? - MBWorld.org Forums

They can do plenty

- Fix The seat (put more padding themselves) not so hard for engineers to come up with the easy instructions for their service
OR
- Hire upholstery professional they approve of and let him fix the seat (they do that at Mercedes even if you are just uncomforable, not sure about other brands)
OR
- Let me pay for upholstery but don't threat me that they will void the warranty
OR
- and last, but at this point my favorite. If I'm one the few unlucky ones that seat is not designed for, Take the car back! if it's only a few of us, what is the problem?

Here are 4 options what can Tesla do for me, and they picked

- Screw that guy, let him be in pain for 3 years!

Sorry to hear of the issues you are having. That sucks, but are you really surprised by their response? I am not sure what you want them to do. Should they design a custom seat just for you? Why not design a custom seat for the 500 lb driver? Or what about the 4' driver? I am sure BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus would respond the same exact way.

To put this into context, every automaker has issues with a few drivers not feeling comfortable. They are designing one seat to fit an infinite amount of body types. See below for a sampling of other forum threads where drivers are having similar seat issues -

Comfort seats - uncomfortable.
Does anyone else think the GS-F seats are uncomfortable? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Uncomfortable seats? - MBWorld.org Forums

220 lbs is not a fringe case.

At some point Tesla is going to have to grow up and start practicing a bit more of “the customer is always right”.

They (Tesla) should be eager to find a solution..... not consistently making excuses.

• Love
Reactions: croman and bell2041
I’ve owned my X since Sept ‘17. Within the first week I noticed the bar. It hurts and even caused my legs to start falling asleep. I talked to my OA and service about it, neither had heard of it. Also, the entire seat wasn’t as comfortable as the seat in the demo I test drove before buying. Here’s what I’ve discovered:
-Demo X had the previous generation vented seats and were quite comfortable.
-My X has the new generation seats and are only comfortable for people of ‘average’ size, which I’m not. I’m 6’4” 275.

The folks at Tesla have been very understanding and have tried to remedy. A few weeks ago due only partly to this problem but mostly to the loose/rocking issue that is also fairly common, Tesla replaced my driver’s seat. After less than a week I started to feel the bar again. Prior to the rocking issue, the service manager offered to bring in an upholstery guy the next time I had my car in to see if they could do anything about it, but we put that on hold after they found a reason they could replace the seat.

I’ll revive my request to have them fix the upholstery and fully anticipate that they will do something. Maybe only because I stated that they sold me on the car with the demo vehicle and I never knew anything about next gen seats and was initially complaining that they weren’t ventilated, in fact, I initially refused to take delivery. I’ve owned many, many different vehicles from top line MB AMG CL55 down to minivans and Jeeps. I’ve never, ever, had a problem being comfortable (other than head room)

The seat is clearly a poor design that doesn’t take into account anybody over 6’ or 225lbs and is a major step backward from the previous generation seats. In fact, I’d be delighted if they just replace them with the seats I thought I was buying.

• Informative
... the service manager offered to bring in an upholstery guy the next time I had my car in to see if they could do anything about it, but we put that on hold after they found a reason they could replace the seat.

Can you please give me more details on that, please?? My OA is refusing to do so saying they don't do that. What was the service location and perhaps the name of the person I talked to, I would like to chat with him?

Thank you so much for sharing that with us

WOW!! just found another post about the exactly same issue in Model S forum. That is just messed up

Very uncomfortable bottom seat cushion

I'm the guy that started the above thread on the Model S forum. I'm 6'4", 210 lbs. SC has replaced the driver's seat and the problem remains the same. Tesla won't add foam because of seat sensors. After finding this thread, I guess the X and the S have the same seats. I bought a memory foam pad but haven't used it yet. One post here talks about this being a tall driver problem and I guess it is; maybe a slouching problem also but slouching is necessary to some degree when you are 6'4". It seems that slouching forces your butt forward into the metal plate under the seat cushion. The inadequate springs which support the rear of your rear end may be too soft and let the back side of your backside go too low forcing the front side of your backside to push against the edge of the plate. (puns intended). Guess there is no Tesla answer.

This was an issue for me in the beginning - I'm 6-3 240. I tilted the front of the seat up and deflated the lumbar. That seemed to push me far back enough in the seat to not feel the bar. I have had the car for almost a year and so far it ok but not perfect.

I'm 6'4" and ~200lbs. I've had my X since June of 2017 and no problems here. I drive it on the weekends only but I have done multiple road trips of 6+ hrs and still no problems. Hopefully it stays that way