Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat slide/rock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My drivers seat slides/rocks/moves what feels like about 1/4" during slow speed turns on uneven surfaces. E.G. Turning out of a parking lot onto a street, when there is a dip onto the roadway. I've had the same issue ocassioanlly on acceleration in certain circumstances, but it seems more lateral than front to back.

I brought it up with the SC on my last visit, but they said can't reproduce. I get it probably 4-5x per drive.

Anyone else experience this? I've looked under the seat and can't find anything obvious. There's a ton of molding around the various seat base parts, so I've been hesitant to start tearing it up.

Moving the seat by hand doesn't seem to replicate the issue.

We have the same issue. My wife doesn't notice it.

Only other issue I can think of with our front seats is the shroud underneath that hides all of the wiring. It has never snapped on correctly and is now tearing. I don't see a correlation so I'm a bit of a loss.

One would think that 20 seconds with an hex key would tighten the seat up.

Same issue here. Lateral rocking when going around a bend, particularly when accelerating or braking. Just as you mentioned, moving it by hand doesn't reproduce the issue. Will bring it up at the next service visit.

It does seem less pronounced if I lower the seat all the way down.

It must be something with the color combo! LOL

My wife doesn't notice it as well. I don't know if that's because she weighs less, or just isn't sensitive to it.

Oddly, mine seems worse in the lowest position. I'm really tempted to take all the plastic off and try to snug everything down, but the plastic seems so cheap that I guarantee I'll crack at least one piece in the process.

Had the same problem. Tool months and 4 SC trips and a lemon law notice to Tesla corporate to get them to finally replace the seat. 500 miles with new seat and so far so good. My seat did exactly what you described. I had to push and push to get them to finally replace the seat.

I had a similar issue. My seat slid just a bit on fast stopping and fast starts. It was subtle but annoying. My SC readily replaced the seat. They said they did some type of motion capture video to get authorization to do the replacement. No issue after many miles with the new seat.

It sure seems as though the service / satisfaction level is highly variable by SC. It really doesn't make sense that they would take such different stances regarding a specific problem.

Well I fixed my seat "movement". Turns out it wasn't the seat, but the plastic on the side buckling I suppose, which felt/sounded like the seat moving. I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1EQHDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut out two strips about 1.5"x3", glued them back to back and shoved them in the plastic gap just in front/under of the horizontal seat adjuster. Voila, solved.

If anyone else tries this, I'd be curious to hear if it helps.