Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers Window Leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Since day one I have complained about a leak at the back corner of my drivers window. When at cruising speeds you can hear air noises and also when you wash the car or are in heavy rain driven from the left rear, water enters the cabin. It's not much and after taking it to Tesla a number of times to ask them to rectify it, I decided to take a look see.

What I found was that they had put in some plastic shims on the rear side to align the panel with the FWD. But either this, or the lack of shims at the front, has caused a bit of a gap at the corner of the drivers window. The total thickness of the shims that are on the rear are about 2mm (1mm each). I have put in some hard rubber padding about 1 1/2 mm thick on the front and I will give that a test over the next week to see if that is enough, I need more, or nothing changed. I will report my findings in about a weeks time.

Attachments

• door_shims.jpg
    door_shims.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 371
  • door_strip.jpg
    door_strip.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 317
  • Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
My initial findings on this are pretty good. On a recent 600 mile trip I did not notice the wind noise.

An added benefit seems to be a reduction or perhaps elimination of the cold draft I have on my lower legs during cold weather no matter what the heater setting is.

I will continue to monitor this and may add a bit more thickness to the shim. I have not given it the rain or hose test yet.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have the same issue and addressed Tesla since day one. I’m bringing in early December to get it fixed along with other issues. Will address this with my service manager to get it apply to test. They are planning on adjusting the FC.

My initial findings on this are pretty good. On a recent 600 mile trip I did not notice the wind noise.

An added benefit seems to be a reduction or perhaps elimination of the cold draft I have on my lower legs during cold weather no matter what the heater setting is.

I will continue to monitor this and may add a bit more thickness to the shim. I have not given it the rain or hose test yet.

Wondering what type of rubber padding you used and where to get it. If I understand the panel location, the window would be rubbing against the padding so a closed cell foam tape is probably not durable enough ?

My X has always been kind of loud on the highway, especially when other cars drive by.. like trucks. Its really really loud. Did the above correct any noise on highways ??? If this did can you share with us what you did exactly?
Thanks

It got rid of the wind rushing noise from the leak but all the road noise and passing trucks noise is still there. There have been some threads on trying to put insulation in the doors but so far everything I have seen here has not been effective or was problematic with the door function.

Have the SC Harshness, Noise and Vibration (HNV) tech go over your doors, moldings, regulators, etc. I had the issue and the ATL SC went over my entire car. Since I have an early VIN (3000's), they upgraded all the moldings to the current levels. They spent a week or so, with the parts and adjusting everything. When I got the car back, I called the SC and thanked they while driving on the interstate at 80mph.

Road noise is dependent on tires and road surface. Same is true for trucks and cars passing. I have the 22 inch package with the Perelli Silent with foam liner for quietness inside. They run quieter on "black top" than concrete. I think having the Air Suspension helps as well. In all cases, there is some road noise -- hard to judge here on a few lines.

Truck tires on Semi's seem more concerned with traction and longer wear (generally harder treads) -- I typically hear trucks adjacent to me.

If you can, get a similar fitted demo and test with SC on same roads.

Last edited: