Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving DNA vs Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in days of yore, cars came equipped with steering wheels the size of satellite dishes because of what was called "recirculating ball steering". The way this thing worked required that you turn the steering wheel 3 or 4 revolutions just to make a left or right hand turn (side note, this why some people put a brodie knob, aka knuckle buster, on the steering wheel, to make it easier to turn.) It also meant that as you cruised down the road you were constantly moving the steering wheel back and forth to keep yourself in the lane. The steering was so loose on these cars that you could move the wheel 3 or 4 inches in either direction with very little effect --- even more if your idler arm or tie rod ends were sloppy.

It also meant that one of the first things you learned as a beginner was how to respond to the car drifting right or left, which every car did, all the time (side note #2, this is also why you were admonished to keep your hands at 10 and 2, because you would need to be constantly compensating for this drift.) As you drove down the road the car would start to drift, say, to the right, and as it did it would pull the steering wheel just a bit to that side. Your response would be to gently bring the wheel back to the left, gently being the operative word here, lest a sudden jerk send you fishtailing. All this was part of how I learned to drive and all of which became part of my driving DNA, so to speak, which is still deep within me to this day.

Which has to do with Auto Pilot how, you are asking? I'm glad you asked...

Auto Pilot ostensibly keeps the car centered in the lane, when it isn't slamming on the brakes for phantom rabbits running out in front of you. It does this how? By moving the steering wheel for you, ever so slightly, in the opposite direction of what it perceives to be your drift. Ergo, if the car drifts a bit to the right, the steering wheel shifts a bit to the left. In addition, you are required to keep your hands on the wheel just enough so you can feel the wheel turn against your hand force.

So what happens to an old fart, like me, who has that driving DNA mentioned above, when this happens? Well, when I feel a steering wheel move on its own to the left, my driving DNA goes into reactive mode, I grab the wheel and ever so slightly move it back to the right. Which happens to be the direction the car was drifting when Auto Pilot moved it. So now, for a few seconds or so, I'm in a tug of war with Auto Pilot... the car is drifting right, AP wants it go left, my driving DNA pulls the wheel back to the right, AP insists the car is drifting right and yanks it back to the left, I resist and pull it back to the right....... this all happens in just a matter of seconds, but still... and then there's that phantom rabbit running out in the road.

All to say, I find myself most comfortable cruising down the road with my hands firmly on the wheel, my driving DNA responding as it always has to the slight natural drift of the car --- a little to the right, a little to the left --- Auto Pilot nestled quietly asleep in its little digital bed, oblivious to both the drift and any phantom rabbits. I'm happy that the car comes equipped with this delightful (or not) little feature, and every now and then I awaken it, just to see what it's like to be a cyborg whose responses are in synch with the technology, which mine are not and never will be. And then, after several miles of back and forth I put it back to sleep and go back to doing what comes naturally...

Back in days of yore, cars came equipped with steering wheels the size of satellite dishes because of what was called "recirculating ball steering". The way this thing worked required that you turn the steering wheel 3 or 4 revolutions just to make a left or right hand turn (side note, this why some people put a brodie knob, aka knuckle buster, on the steering wheel, to make it easier to turn.) It also meant that as you cruised down the road you were constantly moving the steering wheel back and forth to keep yourself in the lane. The steering was so loose on these cars that you could move the wheel 3 or 4 inches in either direction with very little effect --- even more if your idler arm or tie rod ends were sloppy.

It also meant that one of the first things you learned as a beginner was how to respond to the car drifting right or left, which every car did, all the time (side note #2, this is also why you were admonished to keep your hands at 10 and 2, because you would need to be constantly compensating for this drift.) As you drove down the road the car would start to drift, say, to the right, and as it did it would pull the steering wheel just a bit to that side. Your response would be to gently bring the wheel back to the left, gently being the operative word here, lest a sudden jerk send you fishtailing. All this was part of how I learned to drive and all of which became part of my driving DNA, so to speak, which is still deep within me to this day.

Which has to do with Auto Pilot how, you are asking? I'm glad you asked...

Auto Pilot ostensibly keeps the car centered in the lane, when it isn't slamming on the brakes for phantom rabbits running out in front of you. It does this how? By moving the steering wheel for you, ever so slightly, in the opposite direction of what it perceives to be your drift. Ergo, if the car drifts a bit to the right, the steering wheel shifts a bit to the left. In addition, you are required to keep your hands on the wheel just enough so you can feel the wheel turn against your hand force.

So what happens to an old fart, like me, who has that driving DNA mentioned above, when this happens? Well, when I feel a steering wheel move on its own to the left, my driving DNA goes into reactive mode, I grab the wheel and ever so slightly move it back to the right. Which happens to be the direction the car was drifting when Auto Pilot moved it. So now, for a few seconds or so, I'm in a tug of war with Auto Pilot... the car is drifting right, AP wants it go left, my driving DNA pulls the wheel back to the right, AP insists the car is drifting right and yanks it back to the left, I resist and pull it back to the right....... this all happens in just a matter of seconds, but still... and then there's that phantom rabbit running out in the road.

All to say, I find myself most comfortable cruising down the road with my hands firmly on the wheel, my driving DNA responding as it always has to the slight natural drift of the car --- a little to the right, a little to the left --- Auto Pilot nestled quietly asleep in its little digital bed, oblivious to both the drift and any phantom rabbits. I'm happy that the car comes equipped with this delightful (or not) little feature, and every now and then I awaken it, just to see what it's like to be a cyborg whose responses are in synch with the technology, which mine are not and never will be. And then, after several miles of back and forth I put it back to sleep and go back to doing what comes naturally...
No offense, but it Seems like a you problem. Don’t expect things to stay the same because your reactions can’t adjust. Be thankful that you have to move the steering wheel less. It’s an improvement to get used to.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Likewise no offense, but nowhere did I say this was a problem. It was merely an observation about my personal driving experience with a new piece of technology. It is not necessary to scold every post with unsolicited "get used to it advice"... tends to put people off their cornflakes. Thanks.
one persons complaint tends to set everyone off on a "ME TOO!" or "Report this to the NHTSblah blah blah" replies and posts. The entire point of getting a Tesla is to be on the forefront of technology. it should be exciting retraining your brain to do things a new way. If its not being said in a way that supports that, there is really no other response other than "Get used to it."

Reactions: Yelobird and EVNow
Yes, I see what you mean. The pages of ME TOO and I'M REPORTING THIS replies in response to my irresponsible diatribe about Auto Pilot has deeply disturbed me. I had no idea I was about to start a flame war...

So, thanks for setting me straight on why I bought my Tesla, how I should respond to being on the forefront of technology, and how excited I should be. Here I thought I was making light-hearted commentary about my experience; little did I know I was actually issuing a complaint, obviously a serious matter here TeslaLand, where things like this are no joking matter.

I hereby pledge to be much more serious in future posts, taking care not to express myself in any way other than that which supports the unbridled thrill of being on the forefront of new technology and stating my thrilledness in such a manner as to do nothing but support this. Imagine how at ease I am knowing that when I transgress and violate the rules --- as I most certainly will until my brain is completely retrained to do things in a new way --- you will be there to set me back on the straight and narrow. Kind of like Auto Pilot!

I liked the post because it was presented from a perspective of an individuals interaction with technology.

All of of us are going to have our own unique response to the technology that's largely based on our nature as a person, and our history with cars.

I never could get my mom to even try the driver assistance features on her new Subaru, and wanted me to turn them all off. Why did I have to turn them off? Because my mom couldn't wrap her head the idea that a light being on meant the feature was off.

I found it interesting that through most of my life she was always a technology person, but later in life she couldn't adjust to new technology. It didn't really matter if it was her Subaru or my Tesla. Even when I used AP in my Tesla it frightened her, and this was before Phantom braking became a common thing.

One of things I don't like about AP is you can't really do subtle corrections. I think it would be a lot more enjoyable if it allowed for loose corrections like a slight change in lane positioning to avoid a series of pot holes, and that of thing.

Sadly it was clear from the V11 UI "upgrade" that Tesla doesn't really care all that much about the UX experience.

Interesting observations. I bet much of the same could apply to interfaces. How we interact with an interface is partly determined by our past experiences. as interfaces have evolved we have learned and evolved, too. someone who grew up in the 60s where a TV the pinnacle of technology likely still has a bit of that in their mind when they interact with their Tesla today as opposed to a teenager who‘s never seen a CRT screen.

I’ve found that I’m most comfortable with my hands on my knees an inch away from the steering wheel and ready to grab it whenever necessary. Keeping my hands actually on the wheel means either constantly deactivating or spending much of my concentration trying not to.

I've been around this long!;):cool:

Reactions: jazzerone
The thing is, I truly love ALL the technology in the car... I can't think of a single thing I don't like. I even like the phantom braking feature, because it's like having my own little personal defibrillator giving my heart a jump start every now and then. I love the regenerative braking thing so much that whenever I get in my 1 remaining ICE vehicle I have to remind myself to step on the brake pedal to stop the car. I love pushing the button and telling the car what I want it to do, even if sometimes it replies that it can't make me a manhattan, not while I'm driving.

And, for the record, I love Auto-Pilot... I think it's the coolest thing I've ever had in a car, and this coming from a guy who's first car was a '67 Mustang GT convertible that sucked so much gas watching the fuel gauge was like watching a toilet flush. It's just that some of the tech catches me by surprise, not because I refuse to learn how to use it, but because I've been driving since cars had square wheels, and it was interesting --- TO ME --- what my involuntary response was to the steering wheel movement.

I apologize if I got snarky in my previous post. To be honest, this forum can have a bit of an attitude at times and I get all the attitude I need just from driving a Tesla around northern New Mexico, thank you very much. It is fun, however, to step on the gas pedal (am I allowed to call it that?) and leave some tailgating dickhead in his behemoth diesel pickup standing still and fading in my rear view mirror.

I do have one question: Is it impolite to honk and wave as I drive by gas stations? Nobody ever waves back, so I'm wondering if they'd rather I didn't... I'm open to opinions on this. Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: kavyboy and Ciaopec
.....I do have one question: Is it impolite to honk and wave as I drive by gas stations? Nobody ever waves back, so I'm wondering if they'd rather I didn't... I'm open to opinions on this. Thanks.
It is patronizing and insulting. Also you are helping to give ALL Tesla owners a "we have a pompous air of superiority over you low life ICE drivers" bad name among people we need to welcome into the fold, NOT alienate. I would prefer not to be stereotyped like these guys.

IMG_0978.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, great, thanks... so, I'm guessing pulling into the station and up to one of the pumps, getting out of my Tesla, grabbing one of the gas hoses, opening my charging port and then hollering "OH MY GOD, I FORGOT I DON'T PUT GAS IN THIS THING!!!", laughing and then driving away is probably not a good look either...

• Funny
Reactions: rush6410
OK, great, thanks... so, I'm guessing pulling into the station and up to one of the pumps, getting out of my Tesla, grabbing one of the gas hoses, opening my charging port and then hollering "OH MY GOD, I FORGOT I DON'T PUT GAS IN THIS THING!!!", laughing and then driving away is probably not a good look either...
Enjoyed your post, I never drove using the 10 and 2 grip on the steering wheel. Not sure why since I was taught that way, For a long time rested my hand at the bottom of the wheel. Not the brighest method though.
At least now I don't have to worry about blinding drivers with high beams. Back then most cars were manual shift and the high/low beam button was on the floor. So driving a standard shift was a bit challenging to avoid blinding an oncoming car when your left foot was pushing the clutch to shift gears and you needed to push the button at the same time with your foot. I probably did a better job back in the day (60's/70's) then FSD does now:)