Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving for free

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best guess based on winter bills is that my run-rate, without AC, is about 1200Kwh per month, and I think I can move the majority of that to overnight, plus the car charging, of course.

Uh... yow. Without A/C I'm running 380 kWh a month. My parents use several times that, but they have an enormous house (it has its own ballroom) and they make no attempt at all to be energy-efficient.

Have you considered LED lighting? It saved a lot more energy than I expected.

Of course it sounds like the A/C is the dominant expense where you are, and even with really good insulation, even good heat pumps are pretty expensive to run. My A/C has been known to triple my electric bill.

Uh... yow. Without A/C I'm running 380 kWh a month. My parents use several times that, but they have an enormous house (it has its own ballroom) and they make no attempt at all to be energy-efficient.

My winter rate is about the same as Pete's. In summer during the worst month it almost doubles--and no EV or plug-in yet. (1800 sq. ft.)

I have a couple of LEDs but most are CFLs and most of those have the ballast in the fixtures so I only have to replace the glass bits.

Of course it sounds like the A/C is the dominant expense where you are, and even with really good insulation, even good heat pumps are pretty expensive to run. My A/C has been known to triple my electric bill.

I've done a few tricks with the house so that A/C isn't quite dominant. Mostly the electric expense is computers.

I'm 90% LED, the rest are CFL. the A/C basically doubles my daily consumption, the pool filter doesn't help either, although it only used 280w. There's a few PCs running 24/7, and the water heater is electric too (not my choice). It's a new house, but build standards and levels of insulation are still woeful compared to what I'm used to in other countries, so that doesn't help. I agree though, LED lights and Nest has bought my bill down around 28% compared to last year. 3500sqft by the way, 2 story.