Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving ICE car forgot to shut off engine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgetting to turn off an ICE vehicle has proven to be deadly if you do this while parked in an attached home garage. It is not just an issue with conventional ICE vehicles. GM had to reprogram the Gen2 Chevy Volt to automatically turn off after 2.5 hours. Some Chevy Volt owners were forgetting to power off the Volt vehicle. (There is a large power button in the Gen2 Volt but the Power button is hidden by the steering wheel.) If the driver left the Volt powered on the high voltage battery would run down after some hours, then the Volt would start the ICE to maintain the battery at the minimum charge. This created a situation where carbon monoxide fumes could build up in the garage and eventually enter the home living space.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bouba
Anyone do this? Visiting my father for the holiday and drove his Honda Ridgeline and left his engine on twice. Once for two-half hours in a sketchy part of Sacramento only to come back with the engine on and the doors unlocked. Luckily the truck was still there :( My Tesla has wrecked me from driving a non-EV.

The local criminals thought it was a bait car :D

Keith

I've left the PriusV running a couple of times - fortunately in front of the house in the burbs

I've also driven manual transmission rental vehicles and been alarmed at the noise and bucking and jumping they do when I come to a red light. Sometimes I've got the clutch in in time ... sometimes not

Not looking forward to my next rental car after getting my MYLR in November. I'd get slightly annoyed by cars where I had to take the key out of my pocket to unlock or start the car. I can only imagine my indignation when I have to actually turn the thing off!

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
This also happened to a lot of people when they purchased new cars with smart keyless and push button start.

The one pedal driving is easier for manual transmission drivers to adapt to. Engine braking by downshifting.

I was on a trip back in August last year and kept activating the windshield wipers (right stalk) in my rental ICE when I was trying to shift gears. Yeah, I get way too used to the car I drive and normal actions become automatic over time. It took me a day or so to stop triggering the wipers when trying to shift into reverse. ;)