Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in icy/snow condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did first ski trip yesterday. I have 22" Perrelli Asimmetrico (radial tubeless with M+S rating), though next week the standard 20" are going on. Only the large lodge parking lot provided a chance to test out the stability, and it was great. We were the first to arrive @7:30 and took time for some slow speed experiments. I set regen to low as was suggested here.

- Locked up the breaks during a turn, car did start to rotate but once I released the break it recovered.
- Normal pumping method of breaks very reliable to stop the car on a slope.
- If I punch the accelerator, I suspect all wheels were spinning and car beginning to rotate, but once off all petals, recovery happened.

As good or better than prior Sequoia & Jeep 4WD cars I had.

I have no hesitation to take the MX up anytime, though this was not a real test with traffic & snowing etc.

View attachment 209510 View attachment 209511

Did the X meet your expectations? Are the 22 inches from Tesla or are they after market winter tires? I am in SoCal with the stock 20's, it doesn't snow here but I will be driving up to the mountains for some skiing.

Did the X meet your expectations? Are the 22 inches from Tesla or are they after market winter tires? I am in SoCal with the stock 20's, it doesn't snow here but I will be driving up to the mountains for some skiing.
Definitely happy with handling on maiden voyage. I'll do many this season (NorCAL).

I sold my initial MX that had 20", purchased new sales inventory car (28 miles) that had these 22" with black rims etc. No time to swap in the 20" I prefer for Range, Ride, Reliability & Wear (R^3+W), just made that up. I get the 20'" swap-in soon.

had about 3 inches of snow in northern NJ. Can confirm 22" with AS stock tires are really bad in snow. Made a quick run to the grocery just to see how good/bad the X would be with these tires. Yeah, not good. Same thing with the heated wipers and defroster, not great. Uhghh...might have to go 20" snow tires in the winter months or look into that snow shoe thingy.

This Tuesday I drove over Donner Pass during a snow storm. I have the 20-inch wheels with the Contis on my X. Cars with chains were struggling. The MX was the best snow-handling car I ever drove. Before CA, I lived in incredibly snowy places--Meadville PA, Binghamton NY, Buffalo NY--so I have extensive experience. There was no weird drift when changing lanes, and not once did I loose traction. Never even felt the ABS go on. It was exceptionally surefooted. When the road was free of other cars, I slammed on the brakes to test the behavior. It was composed and slid predictably and was easy to correct and manage. Then slammed on accelerator, and there was minimal spin. Later in an empty parking lot I checked traction in turns, and when it slid, it was predictable and corrected easily. Rather impressed by its snow performance.

My X was in the SC when my first huge snowstorm hit. I had an S loaner with 30K miles and single motor. It SUCKS. Rear end was all over the place. Same issue with heavy rain wet asphalt too. How can anyone use this ? I was scared to take it out again because of this. After I got my X back a week later, it was an entirely different story. Dual motor 90D and very good response in the snow, All season factory tires with 5000 miles on them.
Sounds like there was something wrong with your loaner. I have not experienced what you are describing nor have I read about others with the same complaint.

- Stayed in hotel at foothills below snow level, but it was a cold night. Turned OFF range mode, but allowed mirrors and spoiler to retract.
- 6am morning inside temp. was 30F.
- 20min prior to exit, preconditioned to 65F using Tesla phone app.
- Noticed it reached ~70F after the 20min and all systems were a go.
- Windshield was ~70% cleared of ice, then wipers helped finish the job.

I don't have the sub-zero package........

I just got my P90D X, how do I know if I have summer or all season tires? They're Goodyear, pic attached. Tried googling these numbers but couldn't find anything...
File Jan 10, 12 39 29 PM.jpeg

Sure, if you drive in snow regularly, for safety, snow tire is the way to go.

You keep arguing why you don't need snow tires, while others are trying to convince you to consider winter tires.

Winter tires are not only better on snow and ice, they offer better traction also without snow/ice in low temperatures. (When you write snow tires, I think of studded tires).

So in a cold, dry place, winter tires are still recommendable (and as mentioned, in some jurisdictions also a requirement).

I have summer and winter rims. The summer rims are good for W-rated tires (but are not recommended for snow chains). The winter rims are good for V-rated tires and I have snow chains for them. So having two sets of rims offer some flexibility. Also, some people drive with cheaper winter rims, since they are often dirty and hard for anyone to see...

Btw, for those with all wheel drive, remember that the higher possible speed in snow that the added traction gives has the potential to lead to more dangerous situations than with a single axle drive, since the available braking force is the same for both types of vehicle.

My X came with Conti CrossContact.

The ContiCrossContact Winter is Continental's Light Truck Performance Winter tire developed for the drivers of powerful, heavy 4x4 vehicles. The ContiCrossContact Winter focuses on dependable dry road handling, wet road hydroplaning resistance and winter driving competence.
Performed well here in NC

I just got my P90D X, how do I know if I have summer or all season tires? They're Goodyear, pic attached. Tried googling these numbers but couldn't find anything...View attachment 209941
I had continental all season with my old MX90D, but Pirelli now.

Look for this M+S, it's what the chain control folks need to see, and if you carry any kind of chains, you go right thru

You'll never need to install chains unless it's horrible out there.

IMG_1655.JPG