Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop-In Center Console now in the Tesla Model S online store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is exactly the type of pricing behavior that should not happen.

Prices should never be reduced? I'm sure that's not what you meant but I'd also say there's no need to get worked up over this. Tesla wanted feedback on a new product, some folks gave it to them without expectation and potentially they're getting a small thank you for that. No one even knows what the final full price will be....maybe it's a $25 discount, nice but not so exciting to get worked up about because you didn't give feedback.

Prices should never be reduced? I'm sure that's not what you meant but I'd also say there's no need to get worked up over this. Tesla wanted feedback on a new product, some folks gave it to them without expectation and potentially they're getting a small thank you for that. No one even knows what the final full price will be....maybe it's a $25 discount, nice but not so exciting to get worked up about because you didn't give feedback.

Prices of course can be reduced, but the only consistency to TM's pricing policy has been inconsistency. Some prices go up, some go down, some require a deposit, some don't...Furthermore, we don't know what the discount on the CCI will be, so your $25 is purely speculative.

Exactly my point; and your assumption of missing out on some huge discount is also speculative. I think we're in agreement.

No, we are clearly not in agreement. If you are now making the suggestion that the implied discount per the email posted above is going to be some token amount, then you haven't been paying attention to Tesla's pricing policies...my point is that there should be zero price difference for people who purchase on day 1.

what about Day 2? sure, TM can change the price, what is your point? as I stated, a company can certainly change prices...but when something a) has a price announced and b) goes on sale, all people who PURCHASE it at that time should pay the same price. If TM asked for and took deposits, I can certainly see why those who did so get different pricing, however this was not the case.

...sure, TM can change the price, what is your point? as I stated, a company can certainly change prices...but when something a) has a price announced and b) goes on sale, all people who PURCHASE it at that time should pay the same price..

Just seems to me that you saying they can change prices as they like but only under certain conditions; I think it's a free market and companies can do what they like. Maybe I misunderstand you but we're going round in circles in any case so I'll disengage.

Just seems to me that you saying they can change prices as they like but only under certain conditions; I think it's a free market and companies can do what they like. Maybe I misunderstand you but we're going round in circles in any case so I'll disengage.

While I think this discussion IS overblown (and a bit premature), Tesla DOES need some consistency there. One rarely knows if they should buy something right away before a steep price increase, or to wait for a price break or if they've got time to save up or what. To be fair though, Tesla has given heads up in the past (car price increase and warranty price increase).

Not at all what I'm saying, I've said it pretty clearly...be consistent and don't make customers guess...its pretty simple.

Not at all what I'm saying, I've said it pretty clearly...be consistent and don't make customers guess...its pretty simple.

Nothing wrong with that approach.

It's just that what I see is that a company put out a request to gauge level of interest in a new product offering (along with different types of finishes), and before announcing general availability/general pricing, is making that product available to the people who responded. That seems perfectly reasonable as part of a market research effort.

(Not that you need to do so, but have you added your name to the wait list yet?)

Wow! I guess that puts Teslaccessories (Sofauthor)'s $1200 CCI out of business. I feel bad for all those that couldn't wait and ended up paying double the price.

LOL. Don't be so sure. Has anyone actually touched/seen one? I've been happily using my CCI for 9 months. I"m still glad I bought it and the price of Teslas offering hasn't changed my mind at all. If Tesla's CCI is just as perfect and elegant, I'm happy. I can't imagine it will be. I still think with this car there is a market for a premium product.

Nothing wrong with that approach.

It's just that what I see is that a company put out a request to gauge level of interest in a new product offering (along with different types of finishes), and before announcing general availability/general pricing, is making that product available to the people who responded. That seems perfectly reasonable as part of a market research effort.

(Not that you need to do so, but have you added your name to the wait list yet?)

Market resach now constitutes an offer. And yes I've put my name on the "list" does that mean tesla will honor the discount price that prior list participants get? Who knows. Not sure what your point is.

Just to contrast... When Tesla posted the CHAdeMO adapter, they posted it with a price. I happily got on the wait list.

For the a center console, no pricing is publicly posted (prior to today's email). I chose to not send the email -- wanted to wait for pricing.
+1. If the price was $1500, I wouldn't be interested and wouldn't want Tesla to think I was. So, to not have posted a price when gauging interest, they weren't really setting up an effective survey.

OTOH, I singed up for the Chademo wait list as there was a price.

Market resach now constitutes an offer. And yes I've put my name on the "list" does that mean tesla will honor the discount price that prior list participants get? Who knows. Not sure what your point is.

It was a simple question just to make you weren't missing an opportunity. No *point* was trying to be made. And, since it seems like any exchange with you on this topic has overtones of confrontation, I will do as Nigel did and choose to disengage.

Peace.

It was a simple question just to make you weren't missing an opportunity. No *point* was trying to be made. And, since it seems like any exchange with you on this topic has overtones of confrontation, I will do as Nigel did and choose to disengage.

Peace.

There's no confrontation here...i just don't get your point. is it market research or an offer? Clearly you are trying to make a point, or else you wouldn't post something.

It just amazes me how the fanboys/girls will give Tesla a pass on literally anything, even denigrating themselves in the process (for example you saying you weren't an early adopter and thus neither am I, when even since the MS has been launched there's not guarantee that the company will stay in business. You very clearly were an early adopter, no different than quite frankly anyone who orders something before its produced or even in our case able to be test driven). Its highly amusing how folks give Tesla a pass on things they wouldn't stand for from other firms.

Tesla should have a policy and stick to it, not make up new protocols and randomly adhere to them.

I wasn't actually all that interested in the center console until I went on a road trip. After the trip, I sent them an email indicating interest in a CF trim CCI but only if the price was under $850 and I could see it first. There was no obligation to buy it, no deposit required, and I told them the price I was willing to pay. I didn't see any reason not to send them an email.

It's market research, and those who participated may be getting some benefit as a result of their contribution -- arguably as minimal as it was, which is why I believe the discount will be nominal.

Clearly this isn't the case unless a) you work for TM and can verify it and b) this came out AFTER the CCI was posted to the TM website, market research is typically done before the public is notified of the intention of sale and c) "Sign up for wait list and product updates by emailing: [email protected]. Please provide decor selection." does not read like market research. again, your belief of a nominal discount is pure speculation, and the definition of 'minimal' is relative. You consider a free lightening connector plus discount minimal? maybe you do, maybe other do not.

let the fanboyism continue...