Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a brand new loaner!!! (I didn't like driver assist)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Name of the new 21" tire? And do any 19's come with that foam strip? Honestly, I'm no tire expert, but it seems that foam insert would be a low cost no-brainer for oem tires on luxury cars, no?

Last edited:
The news about the foam liners on the inside of the Conti tires is very interesting. There's no reason this can't be done to other tires. Accordingly I'm starting a search for the right foam to use for sound dampening tires that I already have. I have a few good leads and as soon as I talk to the manufacturers I'll post what I find. This should be a very easy DYI task, as the foam is just glued on to the inside of the tire. This will be the final step in sound dampening my Model S as after all of the other work tire noise is even more noticeable.

The news about the foam liners on the inside of the Conti tires is very interesting. There's no reason this can't be done to other tires. Accordingly I'm starting a search for the right foam to use for sound dampening tires that I already have. I have a few good leads and as soon as I talk to the manufacturers I'll post what I find. This should be a very easy DYI task, as the foam is just glued on to the inside of the tire. This will be the final step in sound dampening my Model S as after all of the other work tire noise is even more noticeable.
The glue might be important too, I'm trying to imagine what glue would keep it there with the normal deformation that tires go through and the number of times in their life they go through it...

I really like the speed assist and lane departure, I had both on my BMW before. The only issue is that speed assist is very buggy for me. I will be on a 55mph Freeway and it tells me I am over (I set +14 relative). I have a suspicion the front camera reads the truck signs or something. I know the camera must read the speed signs at the office campus because it isn't listed . Without speed assist I would have speeding tickets, this thing is a must for me.

The glue might be important too, I'm trying to imagine what glue would keep it there with the normal deformation that tires go through and the number of times in their life they go through it...

The same type of glue that Conti uses, which I'm guessing is some kind of contact cement or high-tack material. I'm talking tommorrow to the manufacturer of what I think is the right sound deadening foam and I'll ask them about the glue.