Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual charger for refresh Model S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
Is it possible to add a second charger to the Model S Plaid to allow for higher home charging rates? My old cars can charge at 80A through my HPWC since I had them retrofitted with the second charger. Sometimes it can be annoying to leave the house after a quick turn and not enough SoC due to a measly 10kW charge rate.

Is it possible to add a second charger to the Model S Plaid to allow for higher home charging rates? My old cars can charge at 80A through my HPWC since I had them retrofitted with the second charger. Sometimes it can be annoying to leave the house after a quick turn and not enough SoC due to a measly 10kW charge rate.
No, and that question is two generations behind, actually. The paradigm of "single/dual" that were 40A or 80A was only on the very early Model S, up through the refresh in Spring of 2016. In the X and since the 2016 refresh of the S, they switched to small or large, where it was the 48A or 72A chargers, but they were not a single or double thing.

And the larger 72A charger has been gone for a few years now, so that isn't available anymore either. 48A is the fastest charging Tesla has been offering for quite a while now. But yes, I find that very frustrating that it's not even an option anymore.

And since they killed the fantastic Gen2 wall connectors that could provide 80A and replaced them with the crippled and deficient Gen3 wall connectors that can only provide 48A, that indicates that they are never going back to higher rates. They have taken the stance that if you want any charging faster than 48A, go find a Supercharger.

Reactions: outdoors
Even more to the point, the onboard charger is no longer under the rear seats as they were in all previous Model S/X - they’re now housed in the HV battery pack itself as part of the Power Conversion System (PCS), just like Model 3/Y. It’s apparently an identical part.

I think >48 amp L2 charging is well and truly dead, at minimum until the cybertruck sees the light of day.

And since they killed the fantastic Gen2 wall connectors that could provide 80A and replaced them with the crippled and deficient Gen3 wall connectors that can only provide 48A, that indicates that they are never going back to higher rates. They have taken the stance that if you want any charging faster than 48A, go find a Supercharger.

Only relevant as a tangent, but I recently decided to put an order in for a model Y to replace my wifes 2019 BMW X3, and will be an "all EV" family. She asked me "Am I going to get a wall plug thingy on my side of the garage, or am I going to have to draaagggggg your plug over here when I want to plug in?"

Knowing what that ment (it ment I needed to get a "wall plug thingy" on her side of the garage, lmao), I started looking for a Gen 2 wall connector. I Quickly found that those with them now are basically operating in a "I know what I got" mode, and the price to get a new / unopened one from someone was somewhere between 750-850 (or even more in some places).

I managed to find one for "only" $800 shipped to me, which actually seemed fair for a brand new / never installed Gen 2 wall connector. What I didnt want to do was buy 2 gen 3s for power sharing, even though I am only going to be sharing a 60amp circuit.

Lets say I share your opinion of the Gen 3.

Reactions: Rocky_H