Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dual Motor v RWD in PNW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

Finalizing our car choices and I assumed we would go the AWD/Dual Motor route, however, now, having second thoughts. Those, who live in Seattle and the PNW - dealing with the couple of snowmageddons we had this past winter, did this make a difference in your commute.
We are coming from a Subaru Crosstrek that was wonderful in the snow, and allowed one of us to head to work.

Curious on thoughts of owing a RWD or AWD Tesla in Seattle/PNW area.

Thanks!

Having recently moved to the eastern side of the state, my perspective is a little different, so we went with AWD. That-being-said, AWD is beneficial even without snow. The past few ICE vehicles we owned while living on the west side were AWD -- while the benefits are obvious in the snow, but they are still real in the wet. Us rural folks are very range-aware, but AWD was still worth it to us.

Obligatory notice: Snow tires make more difference than AWD, especially since they help with steering and braking. Getting stuck is no fun, but not being able to steer or brake is worse.

I had an RWD 3, but not during the winter so that won't help directly for comparison. My AWD 3 was fantastic in the snow. My wife used to have an RWD S that pretty good in the snow; remember that Tesla's control over the wheels is electronic, in addition to the electronic monitoring that all cars have. That said, she did get stuck once on a steep hill in the snow. Although just a little further up the hill was a Land Rover that gave up, so I don't know how useful that is.

Snow is generally rare enough around here that I just figure I won't drive when it's around. It did stick around longer than usual this winter, and I did drive on it and was pleased with both cars (my AWD 3 and my wife's X, both with Pirelli Sottozero 3's). Especially if you have snow tires, I would definitely not say that AWD is a must around here. Heck, we have lived here for decades and until the Teslas we never had any AWD vehicles. You can clearly get by without AWD.

That said, I upgraded my car to get it. For me it was less about traction, and more about handling and acceleration. The leading corner of my AWD goes up less than in my RWD when accelerating through a curve. Give it too much juice when making a sharp turn, and my AWD recovers faster. I suspect that's at least as much Tesla's deliberate programming choices as any physical advantage, but either way I like it. Of course you only really notice it when you're pushing the car. It would be great for autocross, but if you are just commuting serenely, you may never notice the difference.

HERE is a video that discusses the Model 3 AWD system in detail.

I'd go for it just for the increased 0-60 performance :)

I used to own a RWD Model S and currently own an AWD Model 3 (actually performance), and most of my driving is to and from ski resorts (I walk to work and snowboard *a lot*). I've driven in snow with each with both "all season" tires and snow tires, and I'll second what ChadS said: snow tires make a much bigger difference than AWD. If snow is your only concern, it's cheaper and more effective to use snow tires than to get AWD. If you want the best of the best, snow tires + 4wd is it, but definitely overkill for most people in the PNW.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AOK1
As stated before, snow tires really help with steering and braking but I will say AWD did help my car get moving in places it may otherwise have struggled this past winter. In general having driven a RWD Model S I feel that the AWD just lets your car handle a bit better in rainy conditions which we see a lot in the PNW.

I personally prefer the excuse of not being able to get to work... We have a RWD S 60. It does ok in the snow. I did have to put chains on this winter to get out of our neighborhood. However, I also had to put chains on our AWD Volvo SUV. The clearance on a Tesla is not great in deep snow. We fishtailed once on the way to Whistler. Turning down the regen brakes in slippery weather is a good idea. I also had to shovel out an AWD Mercedes SUV with locking diffs that was blocking our way. I suspect he had summer tires.

For $2k I would stick with AWD but don't expect a huge improvement.

Reactions: Big-T and MikeBur
My RWD 3 with the stock all seasons did way better than most cars seemed to be doing on that first afternoon of snowmageddon. That being said, it also got stuck in my somewhat steep driveway that same day. Snow tires may have helped that. I also didn’t take it out again until the roads were fairly clear. Might have been more comfortable with it if I had snow tires on it.

My RWD 3 with the stock all seasons did way better than most cars seemed to be doing on that first afternoon of snowmageddon. That being said, it also got stuck in my somewhat steep driveway that same day. Snow tires may have helped that. I also didn’t take it out again until the roads were fairly clear. Might have been more comfortable with it if I had snow tires on it.
Thanks,
I only ask as my wife has a FWD car and she requests we have atleast one AWD car, or one that can get to work in the snow. She is in the medical field, so unfortantly, when it snows, she is almost needed more, than when it doesnt.....
Appreciate the insight, I think ill just keep waiting for an AWD, even if it means giving up a feature such as Smart Air or Glass roof.

2016 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E24GF161162 | False, Fa | Tesla

Model S 75D 5YJSA1E24GF161162 | Tesla

This has neither, but for $48k (This $45, plus $3k for another 75D), Id be willing to have this with a 4yr warranty + SAS and/or Glass roof.

My car experiences are with most of my life driving small econo gas cars with front wheel drive (and still have one). Those do pretty impressively well in snow with all season tires.
So then we have had a rear wheel drive Model S for 5 years now with all season tires, and it is a little bit worse.

I have heard that snow tires make worlds of difference, but here in Boise, which is mostly desert area, we don't get a lot of snow. We'll have about two days of snow to deal with, and then it's cleared off and there will be nothing for the next three weeks or so, so I really don't think it's worth it to me to deal with owning and switching to snow tires.

So given that, I would probably recommend to pick one or the other. Either do snow tires, or go with all season tires and all wheel drive.

I went with the 70D for the even tire wear. I read about significant wear on RWD Tesla’s, like only getting 20,000 mi out of the stock tires (I got 48,000). On my FWD Leaf however, only about 25,000 mi. It’s probably more related to highway vs in town miles, but.... Anyway, since you have a realistic need to be at work during all conditions, get the D and put snows on. Make sure to also get air suspension for the extra clearance, probably not needed, but nice to have.

Reactions: Pismo
We have the RWD LR and P3D-. Both are excellent in the snow. We put winter tires on the AWD and left the RWD with it's OEM all-season radials since it is more of the "city" car. IMO, it only makes sense to get AWD for snow/ice if you're going to put winter tires on it. And if you're going to do that, the RWD will be so good in the snow/ice you won't need the AWD. Sort of a conundrum but this is reality.

I would only get the AWD for the extra performance. There is no better rear wheel drive car in the snow/ice than a Model 3. There are RWD cars that can climb better in the snow and ice but only those that have a rear engine configuration and those cars are more dangerous at speed on snow/ice because they do not have the balanced front/rear weight distribution. I can not over-estimate how important winter tires are for driving in the snow/ice. AWD, not so important.

I went with the 70D for the even tire wear. I read about significant wear on RWD Tesla’s, like only getting 20,000 mi out of the stock tires (I got 48,000). On my FWD Leaf however, only about 25,000 mi. It’s probably more related to highway vs in town miles, but.... Anyway, since you have a realistic need to be at work during all conditions, get the D and put snows on. Make sure to also get air suspension
That was more related to Performance versions (and driving style) eating tires, and especially aggravated by the air suspension. The air suspension puts the car on low mode most of the time, and with the way that it does it, it increases the camber, which is how tilted in it is. In other words, it leans on the inside edges of the tires more, and shreds them a lot faster. Cars with air suspensions had much shorter tire life than cars with the standard coil springs that keep a more even camber. My rear wheel drive S with coil springs went to 46,000 miles on my original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, and I only changed them then because it was fall and I decided I wanted the newer tires going into the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
AWD got me between Kent and Shelton on the days other cars were not out driving. Driving into unplowed parking lots went better than expected. Picked the car up on December 30 so it was being used during the entire snow event.

I am quite pleased with the car, except for the tire road noise. You will notice it at the King/Pierce line and it likely isn't just the AWD/Dual Motor. Sound level is over 75db for much of the 63 miles I drive each way.

AWD got me between Kent and Shelton on the days other cars were not out driving. Driving into unplowed parking lots went better than expected. Picked the car up on December 30 so it was being used during the entire snow event.

I am quite pleased with the car, except for the tire road noise. You will notice it at the King/Pierce line and it likely isn't just the AWD/Dual Motor. Sound level is over 75db for much of the 63 miles I drive each way.

It’s so weird how some people are annoyed by road noise and others not at all. Maybe my music is too loud to notice haha

AWD isn't just about the snow. Rainy conditions around here can also point out the differences. We have had an 85D for nearly 4 years now. There are a few on-ramps around me that are short and include relatively tight turns. I'd never experienced any traction issues, whatever the conditions, on those ramps in our S. Then I had a loaner RWD S and tried the same ramps. The difference was significant. Even with all the traction control assists in the RWD, I still found myself having to countersteer to keep headed the right direction.

We have also noted the difference in snowy conditions. We have friends with an RWD S that's just a little older than our AWD. Driving to the same destination during some heavy snow a couple of years ago they found the roads virtually impassible. We were waiting for them at the destination, wondering if something had gone wrong. I didn't check their tires vs. our tires, and can't tell you their level of driving skill vs. mine, but I've never regretted getting the AWD. It was never a question when we ordered our 3.

I was very impressed with how my AWD with stock all season tires made it through snowmaggedon. It especially handled the slush and ice well, which I find more challenging than just snow. It drove better than my Audi Q5 with Quattro.

If I were driving in snow and ice frequently, I’d get winter tires too.

In some ways, getting AWD is regret minimization. I don’t know anyone who has a Model 3 with AWD who, if they could do it again, would have gone RWD instead. Maybe in Florida but not PNW. But are there those who got RWD who, if they could do it again, would have gone AWD? For sure.

Hey All,

Finalizing our car choices and I assumed we would go the AWD/Dual Motor route, however, now, having second thoughts. Those, who live in Seattle and the PNW - dealing with the couple of snowmageddons we had this past winter, did this make a difference in your commute.
We are coming from a Subaru Crosstrek that was wonderful in the snow, and allowed one of us to head to work.

Curious on thoughts of owing a RWD or AWD Tesla in Seattle/PNW area.

Thanks!
We live up in Bellingham/Whatcom county. Have two Model S AWD and one Model 3 RWD. AWD is the way to go even with little snowfall. If you ever go over the passes chains may be required UNLESS AWD. We keep a Snow Sock in the trunk to comply with the law and have never used it.

The last snowstorm/windstorm my wife drove to the gym in horrible conditions. She LOVES to drive her Model S (AWD) in the snow because it is so forgiving and she enjoys the scenery. On her way, she called me to let me know that a tree blew down and was blocking our driveway. I assumed that she was trapped and needed to be rescued but she explained that she just raised the suspension and drove around the fallen tree across the snow covered lawn. Love that woman!