Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

e-Tag placement in Aust delivered cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I yesterday found that my Gen 1 tag works when placed where MarkE says it does above. Now need to mount it properly. i have had it up with Blutac up til now!
Hi Dborn,
Meant to post these photos of my tag which has been working fine on M2 - while on R side of mirror, its small size combined with slope of windscreen and placement of sun visor means that it is barely visible.
WP_20150115_001.jpg
WP_20150115_002.jpg

We drove down the M2 and the M7 yesterday and the ROAM E-Tag didn't work. We weren't quick enough to open the sun roof and hold it up.

I called ROAM this morning and because we had no plates (on a permit) they said good luck!

However they informed me that they now have the Model S recorded as a metal impregnated windscreen. Therefore most of the tags won't work. You just need to tell them and they will set up your account so the number plate is the reference for the car and not the tag. In this case they will not charge you any cross-matching fees.

So it looks like problem solved.

Hi Dborn,
Meant to post these photos of my tag which has been working fine on M2 - while on R side of mirror, its small size combined with slope of windscreen and placement of sun visor means that it is barely visible.
View attachment 69290View attachment 69291
thanks. Mine works with the harbour bridge but not the M 2. I think that is E way. Wierd. Can't think why there would be a difference.

Hi all, I have been having trouble with my Citylink e-Tag in Melbourne. This is an email I got back from Citylink:

Our records indicate the Tesla Model S is fitted with a metallic windscreen, which can affect the operation of your e-TAG device. We have now noted this on your account to ensure you are not charged any No Tag In Vehicle Fees in future.

We confirm we have credited your account $18.75 for the No Tag In Vehicle fee’s you have been charged for your vehicle. Your current balance is now $32.99.

Pretty happy about this!

Hi all, I have been having trouble with my Citylink e-Tag in Melbourne. This is an email I got back from Citylink:

Our records indicate the Tesla Model S is fitted with a metallic windscreen, which can affect the operation of your e-TAG device. We have now noted this on your account to ensure you are not charged any No Tag In Vehicle Fees in future.

We confirm we have credited your account $18.75 for the No Tag In Vehicle fee’s you have been charged for your vehicle. Your current balance is now $32.99.

Pretty happy about this!
If you have a look at the first post on this thread you will see where MarkE has put his Sydney e-tag for the best reception.
I understand that there is a hole in the metallic coating at about this point specifically for toll tags.
However I had an older style that didn't work even in this position but that was resolved by replacing it with the newest version.
How old is you current Citylink e-tag?

If you have a look at the first post on this thread you will see where MarkE has put his Sydney e-tag for the best reception.
I understand that there is a hole in the metallic coating at about this point specifically for toll tags.
However I had an older style that didn't work even in this position but that was resolved by replacing it with the newest version.
How old is you current Citylink e-tag?

Before I discovered this thread I called Citylink and told them my etag was broken so they sent me a new one. Then when the new one arrived and didn't work I suspected something was up and googled it. I was too lazy to try the eTag in different spots so just emailed Citylink and they sorted it out. Now I don't need an eTag at all! They match my number plate and I don't get charged matching fees.

I crashed into my new E-Tag in Melbourne not working back in Jan 15 in our first week. Higgy had much the same problem. After multiple calls to city-link they agreed it would be unreliable at best and they would list Tesla Model S has a camera read-then bill vehicle. We haven't seen an erroneous bill ever.- Oh and the E-tag ,whilst still there, has never beeped!