Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP - Does it make sense at all on a lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When AP2 came out last year, that is when I knew I wanted a Tesla. I share Tesla's vision of the future where in the next 30-50 years a vast majority of cars will be electric and self-driving. Not only that but reducing individual car ownership. Instead on your (insert name of devices we will carry around in 50 years) phone you just order a car every time you need to go somewhere. Picture all that road space in major cities occupied by parked cars, actually being used for, well driving. 150 mph highway speeds and 90% reduction in road deaths. No more drunk, tired and/or distracted drivers. No more cars just sitting around 22 hours a day. It's a revolutionary concept that we (Tesla Owners) helping to make a reality.

Therefore, having AP2 (even on my business lease) was my #1 requirement. Every night your car sends all the road data it collected using AP back to Tesla. This helps improve the overall system and gets us on track for self driving cars that don't need gas. Also it's just really effing cool. I'd say after using it for a few thousand miles of roadtrips, it works 98%-99% of the time on 3+ lane highways and about 90% of the time on two lane highways. The two biggest problems I have is:

1. The car trying to take exits when you are in the right lane, esp when there is no line
2. Not able to detect smallers road hazards (potholes, cones, etc...)

Lastly if you live in a major city and drive a lot, stop and go traffic is 50% more bearable. No need to brake, gas and steer. Allowing you to relax a bit.

It's beta software. You still have to pay attention and be ready for things it hasn't learned to anticipate yet but in the end it really does work well. Also, I have a feeling the self-driving software is developed completely independent of AP. So the data gathered by AP2 will eventually be integrated into the Self-Driving software once state/federal regulations start to catch up to modern cars.

Reactions: int-veh
1. The car trying to take exits when you are in the right lane, esp when there is no line
2. Not able to detect smallers road hazards (potholes, cones, etc...)

I don't think EAP is intended to be able to work on lanes with breaks in markers. The lane markers are the primary means for it to stay in lane. Also road hazards. The whole reason why it is only a 'driver assist system' at present is the fact it is not designed to handle inconsistencies in the environment. So one shouldn't expect it to work in those scenarios and should take over proactively.

After trying AP2 on 101 and 880 in SF Bay Area, it performs as expected. Really fascinating it works so well. I've not encountered any issues so far.

Only one notable minor discrepancy so far, it set a wrong AP max speed limit on a 65mph limit highway. It showed the correct speed limit on the screen. But the AP max showed and took 73 even though I've set the relative offset as +5 miles. Anyone else come across this?

If the car categorizes the road you are on as a highway then it will let you set AP to 90mph regardless of what you have your max speed limit set at. If it categorizes the road you are on as not a highway then it limits you to the lesser of what you have max speed limit set at and 5mph over what it thinks is the posted limit.