Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Maxed Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can think of many things that should be part of EAP

- Smart summon as mentioned by others
- Auto park into free super charger slot (Could be an FSD only thing though)
- Better auto park detection, I've had it prompt parallel parking when I wait for signals more often than actual parking slots/spaces I want to park into
- Traffic signals (I dont think this will be part of EAP though, I think they will put this into FSD)
- Speed sign detection and
- Also there is a ton of room for improvement, I see what you are saying about adding "new" functionality as most things above can technically be considered improvements or updates, but as far as brand new functionality is concerned, yeah, close to maxed out I guess

Reactions: NeverFollow
It appears Tesla is now providing the promised EAP functionality (based on the explanation of EAP on the "Order Now" website page) - at least in "beta" mode. So what likely remains (before they can declare EAP as delivered) is to mature the software, and then stop calling it "beta".

Reading street signs was a feature in AP1 - not present with AP2.x - and not clear it's needed to meet the EAP goals (though if the software isn't going to read speed limit signs, Tesla needs to fix the speed limit data base - and keep it up to date).

We haven't been able to get the auto parking feature to work reliably - often believing there are open parking spaces in the wrong places, such as when stopped in several lanes of traffic at a stop light or when entering our driveway and the software believing it can park on the sidewalk.

And the new "Navigate on Autopilot" features are going to take time to mature.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
...Tesla needs to fix the speed limit data base - and keep it up to date...

May be sufficient in US, however dynamic speed limits are quite common here in Europe, that can't be covered by any static data. Not mentioned polluting them by "one time event" - i.e. here, in tunnel complex, the usual speed is 70, but map data contain 30 in one section. Which means the car slams the brakes there (in most case for no reason, 70 still there).

May be sufficient in US, however dynamic speed limits are quite common here in Europe, that can't be covered by any static data. Not mentioned polluting them by "one time event" - i.e. here, in tunnel complex, the usual speed is 70, but map data contain 30 in one section. Which means the car slams the brakes there (in most case for no reason, 70 still there).
It appears Tesla is now providing the promised EAP functionality (based on the explanation of EAP on the "Order Now" website page) - at least in "beta" mode. So what likely remains (before they can declare EAP as delivered) is to mature the software, and then stop calling it "beta".

Reading street signs was a feature in AP1 - not present with AP2.x - and not clear it's needed to meet the EAP goals (though if the software isn't going to read speed limit signs, Tesla needs to fix the speed limit data base - and keep it up to date).

We haven't been able to get the auto parking feature to work reliably - often believing there are open parking spaces in the wrong places, such as when stopped in several lanes of traffic at a stop light or when entering our driveway and the software believing it can park on the sidewalk.

And the new "Navigate on Autopilot" features are going to take time to mature.

In Georgia we have dynamic speed limit signs on our perimeter already. They will probably start popping up on other major expressway routes down the road as well.

The database as is will not be sufficient as my commute has several error, one which is 25mph slower than the posted speed. That won't work.

Finally we have so much perpetual construction in Atlanta that the speed limits are changed for months at a time and IF you travel at the speed limit from the GPS database you will get a SuperSpeeder ticket along with IN a Construction Zone, which correlates to "you are in some pretty big trouble"

As a side note, my old AP1 car handled all of the scenarios perfectly.

For those with the autopark prompt comments:

• It will often trigger when you are in heavy traffic or approaching/stopped at a stop light because what it is lookiing for is (a) a gap of suitable size (as it measures them), (b) cars in close proximity (next lane) and (c) less than 5mph motion. I don't consider that a failure since you aren't looking to park and it is simply an edge case where the circumstances meet its criteria.
  • When it is NOT recognizing a spot and you are trying to park, almost always the problem is that you are moving too quickly. Until you are below 5mph, it simply isn't looking for a parking spot. Forward motion <5mph appears to be the trigger point when it starts looking. That is a pretty slow speed and most people drive more quickly than that, preventing the "P" from appearing. I've never NOT had it appear when I wanted it to and was deliberately conscious of my speed.
From my perspective, it works correctly. I just wish it parked more quickly once initiated..

For those with the autopark prompt comments:

• It will often trigger when you are in heavy traffic or approaching/stopped at a stop light because what it is lookiing for is (a) a gap of suitable size (as it measures them), (b) cars in close proximity (next lane) and (c) less than 5mph motion. I don't consider that a failure since you aren't looking to park and it is simply an edge case where the circumstances meet its criteria.
  • When it is NOT recognizing a spot and you are trying to park, almost always the problem is that you are moving too quickly. Until you are below 5mph, it simply isn't looking for a parking spot. Forward motion <5mph appears to be the trigger point when it starts looking. That is a pretty slow speed and most people drive more quickly than that, preventing the "P" from appearing. I've never NOT had it appear when I wanted it to and was deliberately conscious of my speed.
From my perspective, it works correctly. I just wish it parked more quickly once initiated..

I think the failure that I see on point one is that it happens a lot in traffic/stoplights, even when there isn't a suitably spaced size next to me. As in the car to my immediate right is within a few feet of the car behind it, but it still shows a parking spot available between/on them. Normally, I would agree that it's an edge case, but it happens so frequently, and the conditions are such a regular occurrence, that it is a little unsettling that it's not able to properly handle them. Not a big deal, but definitely room for improvement.

@shadownddust I agree on the "stopped at the light" scenario. My theory (and I haven't done detailed data collection) is that it appears because you:

- pass someone in the lane next to you as you are slowing down (i.e., they slowed down faster than you) and you are below 5 mph. This triggers the "parking spot finder" to start treating that side of the car as a potential spot and begin "measuring" it by the distance you move forward.
- you keep advancing as you come to a stop and ultimately come to the back of the car next to you (who is already stopped) which triggers the "end of the parking spot" flag.
- If that distance is more than about 6-7 feet (not sure what the number is), the "parking spot finder" thinks that it has spotted a perpendicular parking spot (or possibly a parallel parking spot, but that requires a lot more distance) and it displays the "P" flag for auto-park available.
- By the time you notice the "P" flag, the other car (first car you passed triggering the processing) has closed the gap and is now stopped, so you look over and say "there is no spot there, the system is working incorrectly".

Note that all of this is based on my theorizing as to how the parking spot processing works. I think we all pretty conclusively know that it only starts looking for spots if you are going below 5mph and then it starts looking at both sides of the car.

It is a bit odd to see the flag appear when you are stopped at a stop light, but I've always just laughed it off and assumed the pattern of my car and the cars around me coming to a spot happened to meet the criteria. I'm sure Tesla could work to change the software (I'd like to have a button I could hit to tell it "start looking for a parking spot and definitely select "parallel" or "perpendicular" which would totally eliminate this problem since the car wouldn't be looking at a stoplight), but my preference would be to see it park a little more quickly while still safely doing so (show the cars it sees on a screen or even allow me to slew the final "parked spot" around on the screen like the Lexus autopark. All that said, I think it works decently, I just don't use it much because I can park (parallel or perpendicular) more quickly than the car can.

Still waiting on smart summon.

Totally waiting for Smart Summon....

Smart Summon is coming per Elon Musk:

upload_2018-10-31_14-40-36.png

Reactions: NeverFollow
Actually, that promise to drive around the lot...blah, blah, blah, was promised for the original AP1 along with summon automatically going from your closed garage to meet you at the street, autonomous driving across country, and many other things.

Spoiler alert - it never happened. Don't get your hopes up.
While I agree with the premise of your post, I don't remember that driving around the parking lot was EVER promised on AP1. Just to meet you at the door of your house.

Actually, that promise to drive around the lot...blah, blah, blah, was promised for the original AP1 along with summon automatically going from your closed garage to meet you at the street, autonomous driving across country, and many other things.

Spoiler alert - it never happened. Don't get your hopes up.

Really?!? I am kinda surprised considering that AP1 did not have the hardware necessary to do that. In any case, AP2 cars do have the hardware for it and with V9, the software is now using all the cameras necessary to do it. So I think it is a realistic goal now.

• Funny
Reactions: croman and u00mem9
Really?!? I am kinda surprised considering that AP1 did not have the hardware necessary to do that. In any case, AP2 cars do have the hardware for it and with V9, the software is now using all the cameras necessary to do it. So I think it is a realistic goal now.
The second* Tesla releases a method for the car to drive around the parking lot without drivers in search for a parking spot, some idiot is going to jump and put his foot under the tires to win a nice juicy lawsuit. Or worse, the car doesn't detect a child crossing and hits them.

*I don't think this is ever going to happen, but hey, I've been wrong before.