Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP owners.. are you spending $2k to get FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3. I’m tempted to purchase so there is possibly another window of time in the future where I can transfer FSD to a new vehicle. That way my $5k sunk cost can be recovered. What’s your thought process for those that have already purchased EAP?

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have a 2018 Model 3. I’m tempted to purchase so there is possibly another window of time in the future where I can transfer FSD to a new vehicle. That way my $5k sunk cost can be recovered. What’s your thought process for those that have already purchased EAP?
absolutely do it, a great value and transferability in the future, with strategic timing

Well, that was my thought process back in 2019 or so when Tesla offered a $2K fire sale upgrade to FSD from EAP.

My current thought is that it's still basically a gimmick. Above and beyond what EAP gives you, it doesn't really serve any useful purpose (i.e. around town). You pretty much have to be monitoring it non-stop, and if anything, it's actually gotten worse in some respects, although it has become more capable in many more--just not enough to do actually useful things like truly smart summon, reverse summon, or allow me to comfortably ride in the car without having the be paying attention (the only actual thing that would give FSD value).

I completely understand your thought process: mine was similar at the time--I bought into the notion that one day my car could join the "Tesla fleet" and I could earn money with it when it came time to buy a new Tesla for my own use. Alas, 5 years later and I just don't see that happening any time soon, certainly not before my car reaches an age where I will have to buy a new one anyway. And if that happens, I am probably not interested in FSD anyway. EAP, however, is more or less worth it.

• Disagree
Buying FSD for $2k is better than paying $100/month, but if you’re not going to use it much, why bother? If the FSD transfer promotion is happening when you’re ready to buy your next Tesla, you could buy FSD at that point to preserve your investment in EAP.

Reactions: RTPEV

I also have 2018 M3 MR with EAP. I bought because I plan to keep my model 3 for another ~4 years. My commuter is 80 miles RT with the worst part on the streets. $2k would be worth it if it works and I'm sure it will improve over time. I'm excited about it.

Buying FSD for $2k is better than paying $100/month, but if you’re not going to use it much, why bother? If the FSD transfer promotion is happening when you’re ready to buy your next Tesla, you could buy FSD at that point to preserve your investment in EAP.

True but who knows what price FSD will be at that point. Whereas now I can lock in the $2k price and use the FSD features.

Right, if you want to use FSD, it’s a no brainer
I regret not buying FSD sooner. I could have used it on more miles but I kept telling myself, we don't go on roadtrips in the M3MR, so it's not a good investment. But now I can use it on my commute so the $2k feels worth it to me.

If I can transfer to another vehicle a few years down the road, it would be a bonus, but I'm happy with what I'm getting now.

I regret not buying FSD sooner. I could have used it on more miles but I kept telling myself, we don't go on roadtrips in the M3MR, so it's not a good investment. But now I can use it on my commute so the $2k feels worth it to me.

If I can transfer to another vehicle a few years down the road, it would be a bonus, but I'm happy with what I'm getting now.
I’ll probably bite the bullet when my free FSD trial ends soon, since I would likely subscribe from time to time. During yesterday’s Tesla earnings call, someone asked if Tesla would continue the FSD transfer promotion while FSD is still evolving, and Elon said no.

During yesterday’s Tesla earnings call, someone asked if Tesla would continue the FSD transfer promotion while FSD is still evolving, and Elon said no.

I read the transcript and I didn't see Elon's reply indicating no. I only read the following referencing FSD transfer:

Martin Viecha

OK. A couple of more questions. So, our favorite, can we make FSD transfer permanent until FSD is fully delivered with Level 5 autonomy?

Lars Moravy -- Vice President, Vehicle Engineering

Yes.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Twenty minutes ago I bought FSD for $2K for our 2023 MYLR we bought with EAP.

We had a FSD trial through referral when we bought the car in September. We liked it, but didn't think it added enough to EAP for the extra $6k at the time. The April trail showed us that FSD is improved and, given the 2/3 discount, we bought it.

We used FSD a lot during this month's trial, liked it a lot, and believe it will continue to improve. So, we bought it before Elon hits the hash pipe too hard and a blue dolphin shows up to tell him to raise the price back up.

When the monthly subscription for non-EAP owners came down to $99 I felt we were not treated fairly as our monthly should have come down to $45. Now at $2K for purchase flat out I feel we have a good deal and I'll most likely go for it. May go month to month for a while and see how this situation evolves. I think getting closer to the 8/8 robotaxi announcement date there will be a lot more shifting in the quicksand.

We used FSD a lot during this month's trial, liked it a lot, and believe it will continue to improve. So, we bought it before Elon hits the hash pipe too hard and a blue dolphin shows up to tell him to raise the price back up.
LOL. I had the same line of thought. I bought it within an hour of the price drop to $2k upgrade because if Elon might change his mind on the price.

Reactions: Bacalao
I read the transcript and I didn't see Elon's reply indicating no. I only read the following referencing FSD transfer:

Martin Viecha

OK. A couple of more questions. So, our favorite, can we make FSD transfer permanent until FSD is fully delivered with Level 5 autonomy?

Lars Moravy -- Vice President, Vehicle Engineering

Yes.
It might have been Lars who replied, but I heard no. I stand corrected, unless others heard the same.

free built-in, but no longer available as a separate upgrade. The only upgrade is FSD
I feel like we got the best of both worlds then. FSD wasn't worth the extra price over EAP until the last couple of years. But EAP was worth what we paid.

Now paying $2k to upgrade to FSD is worth it.

Or maybe it's just me rationalizing my poor decisions :cool:

Last edited:
I feel like we got the best of both worlds then. FSD wasn't worth the extra price over EAP until the last couple of years. But EAP was.

Now paying $2k to upgrade to FSD is worth it.

Or maybe it's just me rationalizing my poor decisions :cool:
I agree. Last time I bought FSD I paid $3k for my 2018 Model S and $2k for my wife’s 2018 Model 3 (both cars had EAP). At that time FSD didn’t really add anything of value above EAP so it was just an investment. We were able to transfer FSD from my wife’s M3 to her new MY last year, but I bought my 2023 MS before the transfer promotion so I just bought EAP. I wouldn’t have paid $6k for FSD but $2k is reasonable.