Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP upgrade $5500 until Sept 24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tax is definitely added. Looks like Tesla is trying to charge me full Arizona state + my city sales tax.
Sales tax laws vary by State. I used to work in IT and had a $1M Microsoft contract. If it was all electronic, there was no sales tax. However, although we download all the software, if I requested Microsoft mail us a set of physical discs, I was obligated to pay sales tax on $1M !!

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Doubtful. The last thing Tesla wants to do is make people think that’s a possibility, since people would start forgoing EAP on purchase, hoping to get it cheaper later. Any discounts are likely to be more expensive than the cost of EAP at the time of purchase, just so here is incentive to buy it then and not just wait for a sale later to activate it.
They were talking about FSD, which is only $3000 at initial purchase.

Over 10 years the 'ownership tax' (aka property tax) on a car in Colorado is about 8%. Buying an upgrade after car purchase skirts this tax.
As for EAP -- I put the funds into a bigger battery and am VERY happy with my choice. If Tesla decides in the future to part out dynamic CC and /or lane keep assist for ~ $1k each option I'll buy.

Now that I’d be looking forward to.

we’ve leased cars with AP1 and 2 and but now own our MX and M3 and decided to skip EAP when we bought them. I haven’t missed EAP one bit and my wife never used it once.

The only option part of EAP i do wish i had is Summon. I’d pay $1000-1500 just for that feature subset. They can keep the rest of the self driving EAP.

Over 10 years the 'ownership tax' (aka property tax) on a car in Colorado is about 8%. Buying an upgrade after car purchase skirts this tax.
As for EAP -- I put the funds into a bigger battery and am VERY happy with my choice. If Tesla decides in the future to part out dynamic CC and /or lane keep assist for ~ $1k each option I'll buy.

Following up after talking to my CPA in case anyone else is interested...

"Remember the email I sent out in late June regarding the Supreme Court ruling on sales tax nexus? The bottom line is sales tax will now be charged on every product in every state, regardless of where you buy it from. This even applies to software that is downloaded and not necessarily tangible. The states have been hurting for revenue for a long time because of places like Amazon, so this ruling levels the playing field so that all businesses, whether they be Internet retailers or traditional brick-and-mortar, will now be required to charge sales tax on everything they sell. When it comes to things like software, you get charged based on your domicile, not where you accept the download."

So... no Montana road trip for me ;)

Following up after talking to my CPA in case anyone else is interested...

"Remember the email I sent out in late June regarding the Supreme Court ruling on sales tax nexus? The bottom line is sales tax will now be charged on every product in every state, regardless of where you buy it from. This even applies to software that is downloaded and not necessarily tangible. The states have been hurting for revenue for a long time because of places like Amazon, so this ruling levels the playing field so that all businesses, whether they be Internet retailers or traditional brick-and-mortar, will now be required to charge sales tax on everything they sell. When it comes to things like software, you get charged based on your domicile, not where you accept the download."

So... no Montana road trip for me ;)
Tax till you die! TAX TAX TAX!!!

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
So this insinuates that in the future FSD free trial can be followed by discounted sales. My guess is $4K instead of $5K?
Yep, at some point it will end up being discounted because for some of us who actually enjoy driving (P3D) and don't drive a lot on highways it's just not worth it. But at a much lower price, why not (just for summon). So it would make sense to have a sale and get at least some money out of people like me rather than none.

But if not then I will never miss it since the value proposition is very low for me.

Well, I ended up caving. We have EAP on our X but did not get on 3 as I figured my daily commute it short. However, for me it just didn’t feel like a Tesla without getting autopilot, and the trial honestly convinced me since I got to use it a few weeks on our 3. I still think price for me is too high and I’d be ok with just basic autopilot 1.0 functionality but I guess their trials work on a small few suckers like me. It just completes the car for me!

Another cash grab to make Q3 profitable. I didn't want it at $5000, why would I want it at $5500. Make it lower and I'll think about it. $1000 might be worth it for me but no more.

So you’ll clearly never own EAP, because self driving technology like this, this early in the game, is never likely going to be $1,000

But its nice you shared that you still don’t want it.

I think by calling this a cash grab, maybe you don’t understand what a business is.

Tesla made EAP putting millions into the technology, they now want to sell that to make a profit.
This is called “A Business”....

A “cash grab” is usually referrenced for things like the government taking more cash from us tax payers with no return.

I honestly don't feel tempted at all at this price. The trial confirmed to me that Autopilot is barely more than the driver assistance packages (active lane keeping and adaptive cruise control) that other manufacturers offer for half the price. If they had announced some *significant* new features that will come with software release 9 I'd probably have bitten at the reduced price, but lane change suggestions isn't something I'm terribly interested in ...

Cool. Now has anyone tested the other systems to see how close or better they are compared to Tesla’s auto pilot?

I know Cadillac supercruise is a good one. Sometimes said to be better. But has anyone else caught up yet?
EAP in Model 3 is still the best:

Not all level 2 driver assists are equal, IIHS finds after testing

Anyways, I caved as well after a coworker let me drive his 3 with EAP on the road I commute on. After that, I had my IDA add it to the car before delivery.

Reactions: EinSV and ebmcs03