Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP upgrade $5500 until Sept 24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Just got an email saying people who did not purchase EAP can now add it for $500 discount. Might bite on this offer!

Support
Enhanced Autopilot Trial

Until September 24th, 2018, all owners who have not purchased Enhanced Autopilot can upgrade at a reduced price of $5,500. You can upgrade at any time during your trial or through your Tesla Account.

Just got an email saying people who did not purchase EAP can now add it for $500 discount. Might bite on this offer!

Support
Enhanced Autopilot Trial

Until September 24th, 2018, all owners who have not purchased Enhanced Autopilot can upgrade at a reduced price of $5,500. You can upgrade at any time during your trial or through your Tesla Account.
so tempting.... ugh

so tempting.... ugh
It's working.

fNNQYLw.jpg

Note: For CA residents this means EAP costs basically the same as the $5k if you had ordered it with the car, since Tesla doesn't charge sales tax for the post-delivery upgrade and you also save a bit on the annual registration fees. [edit: it seems they do charge sales tax]

Personally, I'm still not biting though. ;)

Last edited:
It's working.

Note: For CA residents this means EAP costs basically the same as the $5k if you had ordered it with the car, since Tesla doesn't charge sales tax for the post-delivery upgrade and you also save a bit on the annual registration fees.

Personally, I'm still not biting though. ;)

Is this right? I was told they add tax for the upgrade.

Actually, it seems you are right and I was wrong. There have been reports on the forum that people weren't charged sales tax, but I just put the upgrade into my cart without buying it, and it looks like sales tax would be charged.

Before buying my 3 I was trying to find out if it was possible to add EAP/FSD on the day of delivery to avoid paying sales tax (and slightly lower registration fees) while still getting the up-front pricing. I also assumed there would be no sales tax as it is a "software" purchase but was told otherwise so I just went ahead and ordered when configuring.

Before buying my 3 I was trying to find out if it was possible to add EAP/FSD on the day of delivery to avoid paying sales tax (and slightly lower registration fees) while still getting the up-front pricing. I also assumed there would be no sales tax as it is a "software" purchase but was told otherwise so I just went ahead and ordered when configuring.
Ironically it might actually be the other way around for us here in TX. Most of the State has a higher sales tax in general than there is on vehicle sales (long story). The aftermarket adding of the software enable option might fall under the general sales tax rate?

Last edited:
Is this right? I was told they add tax for the upgrade.

Tax is definitely added. Looks like Tesla is trying to charge me full Arizona state + my city sales tax. What would happen if I drove to Montana and accepted the EAP bill there? Would the tax be $0? I'm going to text my CPA and see what he thinks about the situation.

Last edited:
Tax is definitely added. I'm going to text my CPA and see what he thinks about the situation.

Another nice benefit for NJ residents that purchase a Model 3 with EAP included. NJ does not charge sales tax on EVs. If I had purchased EAP after I took delivery not only would it have cost me an extra $1000 (or $500 extra if I upgraded now) but it would have also been almost another $400 in sales tax, so I saved $1400 by ordering my Model 3 with EAP.

Reactions: C141medic
Another nice benefit for NJ residents that purchase a Model 3 with EAP included. NJ does not charge sales tax on EVs. If I had purchased EAP after I took delivery not only would it have cost me an extra $1000 (or $500 extra if I upgraded now) but it would have also been almost another $400 in sales tax, so I saved $1400 by ordering my Model 3 with EAP.

Do you know another owner in NJ that didn't buy EAP when they took delivery? I'm curious to see what it says on their screen right now in terms of total pricing. I've been wanting to take a trip to Montana anyway... saving the $500 on EAP tax would pay for a nice chunk of that vacation.

Do you know another owner in NJ that didn't buy EAP when they took delivery? I'm curious to see what it says on their screen right now in terms of total pricing. I've been wanting to take a trip to Montana anyway... saving the $500 on EAP tax would pay for a nice chunk of that vacation.

Do you need to travel there (Edit: Montana, not NJ)? Just change your billing address on your CC and Tesla account and use a VPN.

Of course, I would never do that.

Last edited:
Do you know another owner in NJ that didn't buy EAP when they took delivery? I'm curious to see what it says on their screen right now in terms of total pricing.

I’m quite certain for an owner in NJ that tried to upgrade to EAP right now they’d see $5500 + $364.37 in NJ sales tax. Total cost $5864.37.

When the original $6000 upgrade pricing returns NJ owners will need to shell out a total of $6397.50 to get EAP if the upgrade after delivery.

So this insinuates that in the future FSD free trial can be followed by discounted sales. My guess is $4K instead of $5K?
Doubtful. The last thing Tesla wants to do is make people think that’s a possibility, since people would start forgoing EAP on purchase, hoping to get it cheaper later. Any discounts are likely to be more expensive than the cost of EAP at the time of purchase, just so here is incentive to buy it then and not just wait for a sale later to activate it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vaxe