Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rewatched the Australian review and it seems like Australia will get the rubber tail light blocks, but not extra gasking at the top

1661299264083.png

• Informative
Reactions: ilovecoffee
I rewatched the Australian review and it seems like Australia will get the rubber tail light blocks, but not extra gasking at the top

View attachment 844312
Interesting. Seems like the few people who have these blocks buried in this thread noted no difference before and after. Myself included (although mine were 3D printed and not exactly the same they were close enough).

I need to add myself to this list. I picked up my ‘22 MYP a week ago today, and almost immediately noticed ear discomfort. At first just thought I was coming down with a cold, but then realized it increased while driving, to the point of actual ear pain and headaches if I drove long enough. I don’t hear any specific buffeting or booming, or anything that is loud or annoying or uncomfortable. If anything I think the car is fairly quiet. But within minutes of driving the car, I start to feel pressure build, just like descending in an airplane, and it just gets worse the longer I drive. Then it lasts for hours after I get out of the car. The other night going to bed I had a ringing in my ears that felt like I had been at a loud concert for hours. I am pretty desperate for any help.

Last night I did the paper adjustment. All of the bumpers are tight enough to rip a piece of printer paper. I also reduced my tire pressure (Michelin all seasons on 21” uberturbine) to 40lbs cold (it was at about 44). On the drive to work this morning, the pressure is still there. It maybe be ever so slightly reduced, as it didn’t build to the point of actual pain, but it’s still uncomfortable. The drive home in the afternoon is typically worse, so I will see how that goes.

I’m planning to try the MY-Y rigid stops this weekend. Will report back. I really don’t know how long I can take this. I am seriously worried about long term damage to my ears.

I do have a friend who just picked up an almost identical MYP about a month ago. I may see if I can trade cars with him for a day. I am crushed over this, I was so excited to get this car, and in all other respects it is awesome.

Last edited:
I need to add myself to this list. I picked up my ‘22 MYP a week ago today, and almost immediately noticed ear discomfort. At first just thought I was coming down with a cold, but then realized it increased while driving, to the point of actual ear pain and headaches if I drove long enough. I don’t hear any specific buffeting or booming, or anything that is loud or annoying or uncomfortable. If anything I think the car is fairly quiet. But within minutes of driving the car, I start to feel pressure build, just like descending in an airplane, and it just gets worse the longer I drive. Then it lasts for hours after I get out of the car. The other night going to bed I had a ringing in my ears that felt like I had just been at a loud concert for hours. I am pretty desperate for any help.

Last night I did the paper adjustment. All of the bumpers are tight enough to rip a piece of printer paper. I also reduced my tire pressure (Michelin all seasons on 21” uberturbine) to 40lbs cold (it was at about 44). On the drive to work this morning, the pressure is still there. It maybe be ever so slightly reduced, as it didn’t build to the point of actual pain this morning, but it’s still uncomfortable. The drive home in the afternoon is typically worse, so I will see how that goes.

I’m planning to try the MY-Y rigid stops fix this weekend. Will report back. I really don’t know how long I can take this. I am seriously worried about long term damage to my ears.
You should do vinyl tubing first because if you find rigid hatch stops didn't cure the problem, and want to try tubing you'll have to re-do all your work with the rigid hatch stops.

Vinyl tubing is honestly the best result...and you can simply add rigid hatch stops to it if you want to take it to the next level.

Reactions: MickY and JonB65
You should do vinyl tubing first because if you find rigid hatch stops didn't cure the problem, and want to try tubing you'll have to re-do all your work with the rigid hatch stops.

Vinyl tubing is honestly the best result...and you can simply add rigid hatch stops to it if you want to take it to the next level.
I was debating about that. I kind of leaned toward the rigid stops because there seem to be at least a few people who confirm it made a big difference, whereas the tubing seems to have mixed results. Anyway it’s hard to know for sure when reading a 40+ page thread. Maybe I will start with the tubing. Is there a consensus on what size tubing to start with?

I was also thinking about trying the rpmtesla weather stripping kit, I will try anything at this point.

I was debating about that. I kind of leaned toward the rigid stops because there seem to be at least a few people who confirm it made a big difference, whereas the tubing seems to have mixed results. Anyway it’s hard to know for sure when reading a 40+ page thread. Maybe I will start with the tubing. Is there a consensus on what size tubing to start with?

I was also thinking about trying the rpmtesla weather stripping kit, I will try anything at this point.
I just ordered 5/16ths OD tubing from amazing based on coffees recommendation. I’m going to try that first myself

Based on my experience it seems that people who did tubing overwhelmingly had a positive outcome (I would guess maybe about 8 or 9 accounts here) plus the fact that Tesla installs this on some vehicles for some reason at the factory (and not others). I can't say that anyone put it had a negative experience.

The rigid hatch stops (usually) result in some improvement. They weren't enough for me personally.

The size you'd want to probably try is 5/16" outer diameter.

The rigid hatch stops (usually) result in some improvement. They weren't enough for me personally.

The size you'd want to probably try is 5/16" outer diameter.
Like this? And 15 feet length?

Like this? And 15 feet length?

Yep. That's right. If you close your hatch the first time after installing and the motor sounds like it's really struggling to latch, don't worry. Give it a few slams shut as it just needs to fall into place properly. I'd say at optimal rigidity you might get a bit more "hatch pop" when opening the trunk but don't worry there's nothing bad about it.

Yep. That's right. If you close your hatch the first time after installing and the motor sounds like it's really struggling to latch, don't worry. Give it a few slams shut as it just needs to fall into place properly. I'd say at optimal rigidity you might get a bit more "hatch pop" when opening the trunk but don't worry there's nothing bad about it.
What solution should I use to help this go through the rubber?

What solution should I use to help this go through the rubber?
Any kind of waxy spray car cleaner, or those plastic trim protectant sprays. I used 303 Aerospace. It should just be safe for rubber and plastic.

It's just to help guide it along easily as you push it in. Spraying it in the holes before the tubing gets to that point is also a big help.

Any kind of waxy spray car cleaner, or those plastic trim protectant sprays. I used 303 Aerospace. It should just be safe for rubber and plastic.

It's just to help guide it along easily as you push it in. Spraying it in the holes before the tubing gets to that point is also a big help.
Just installed the tubing. Def sounds better but still not solved. I did adjust the stops but some are turned some and some none at all. Is that normal? Aren’t they all supposed to be turned the same length?

Also what else can I try to make the buffeting better? I don’t have a 3D printer so how I can get those plastic things for the hatch stops?

Thanks!

Just installed the tubing. Def sounds better but still not solved. I did adjust the stops but some are turned some and some none at all. Is that normal? Aren’t they all supposed to be turned the same length?

Also what else can I try to make the buffeting better? I don’t have a 3D printer so how I can get those plastic things for the hatch stops?

Thanks!

That was fast! Well how's the gap of your hatch? Is it the same as before? I might even suggest than 3/8" as I had done if it didn't have difficulty closing...although I realize it's a hassle to go back (it's way easier to pull out than put in lol).

I'm not sure what you mean "some are turned some and some none at all". Do you mean you didn't need to re-adjust some of them? Mine are not the same on either side, they differ by a couple of millimeters. That is where I landed where they grabbed a folded piece of paper super tightly where I couldn't pull it out easily or at all.

Rigid hatch stops made DIY are covered by MY-Y in his thread here: Easy and effective low frequency fix

That was fast! Well how's the gap of your hatch? Is it the same as before? I might even suggest than 3/8" as I had done if it didn't have difficulty closing...although I realize it's a hassle to go back (it's way easier to pull out than put in lol).

I'm not sure what you mean "some are turned some and some none at all". Do you mean you didn't need to re-adjust some of them? Mine are not the same on either side, they differ by a couple of millimeters. That is where I landed where they grabbed a folded piece of paper super tightly where I couldn't pull it out easily or at all.

Rigid hatch stops made DIY are covered by MY-Y in his thread here: Easy and effective low frequency fix
For example, the left hatch stop is halfway pulled out, and then the right hatches all the way in and they both feel the same result of not being able to pull out the envelope when the hatch is closed. As far as the rigid stops are concerned, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to have the time or patience to build something like that out manually.

I drove around after installing the tubing and adjusting the hatch stops, and I still feel the buffeting going on :/

For example, the left hatch stop is halfway pulled out, and then the right hatches all the way in and they both feel the same result of not being able to pull out the envelope when the hatch is closed. As far as the rigid stops are concerned, I’m not sure I’m going to be able to have the time or patience to build something like that out manually.

I drove around after installing the tubing and adjusting the hatch stops, and I still feel the buffeting going on :/
That's unusual that one of the stops is all the way in...that doesn't sound normal to me. When those rubber stoppers are all the way in you'd almost never have contact and the panel gap would be very minimal. Both of which don't sound possible with tubing installed.

Mind taking a few pictures?

Last edited:
Sort of related: What is the best Android app to measure and more importantly compare sound levels? Ideally something where I can record and then compare to a previous recording. I want to make sure that any modifications I attempt actually do have an impact and aren't just placebo.

Sort of related: What is the best Android app to measure and more importantly compare sound levels? Ideally something where I can record and then compare to a previous recording. I want to make sure that any modifications I attempt actually do have an impact and aren't just placebo.
Spectroid.

But make sure you go to Settings>Display>Frequency Axis Scale and choose Logarithmic.

That will help when trying to visualize lower frequencies otherwise they'd all get muddled together in the display at the edge.

I've done something similar between mine and a completely stock Model Y. Unfortunately I tinkered so much so many times I never really had a good before and after video set to compare identical conditions (and also...time consuming)

You can see the comparison here. Pay attention to the width and brightness of the band. You'll notice both are less on the modified hatch.

• Helpful
Reactions: MickY and JonB65
Cool, thank you. And I assume you had the camera open on the Fold in splitscreen mode and then screen recorded? I think I might be able to do that on my Pixel 6 Pro, just with smaller windows.
Did you find that mounting the phone in the car would introduce additional vibrations?

Cool, thank you. And I assume you had the camera open on the Fold in splitscreen mode and then screen recorded? I think I might be able to do that on my Pixel 6 Pro, just with smaller windows.
Did you find that mounting the phone in the car would introduce additional vibrations?
Correct! 😁

I was a passenger both times and held it with my hands to prevent the transfer of noise 😀